Menu

reducing scarring on my face from a recent accident

cintinative

I had a bad fall and scraped my face on asphalt. I have scrapes across the right side of my face and nose. I have a pretty deep scrape (gash?) that did not need stitches but I am concerned will really scar. Any suggestions on how I can prevent bad scarring? I could care less if it was on my arms or legs.  I have plenty of scars there--which is why I know I tend to scar easily.  

Right now all I am doing is using a neosporin plus pain and scar.  I have to use an ice pack on my face for awhile because the swelling is bad.

Thank you Hive.

• Sad 2

I'm so sorry about your fall.

When I had a suspicious growth removed from my face, the dermatologist stressed keeping the area clean and lubricated.  She suggested Vaseline, but my wound was different, as it was made with sterile surgical instruments.  I would think neosporin would work as well or better, at least at first.  If a wound dries out too much, it will scab over and take longer to heal.

To keep it clean, I soaked a clean washcloth with warm water and a bit of soap and gently placed it on the wound twice a day.  Then I did the same with another washcloth soaked in plain warm water.  I just let it soak in because even gentle motion caused bleeding for the first day or two.  I let it air-dry for a few minutes and moistened it with Vaseline again, reapplying throughout the day

I hope your scrape heals quickly.

• Like 2

My 9th grader went down an embankment last month. several scrapes on his right side, including his cheek.  the cheek wound seems similar to your. A few of the other scrapes were much deeper, but we only worried about the cheek.  Just kept it moist with an antibiotic ointment.  Try not to let the scab dry up and fall off prematurely..  Falling off , bleeding, and rescabbing causes the deepest marks.   When jis  scab finally fell off the skin underneath was a nice healed pink--no bleeding.  Then sunblock  until skins gets close to normal.  .   

• Like 3

I’m so sorry about your fall. I agree that a dermatologist consultation might help you. But I did want to say that absolutely wear sunscreen on your face/scars *every* day! They will scar much worse with UV exposure. So sunscreen for sure!

During healing, I’d personally probably just use Vaseline. I scar easily too and haven’t been able to avoid them usually. 😕 

Edited by mmasc
Clarity
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gstharr said:

My 9th grader went down an embankment last month. several scrapes on his right side, including his cheek.  the cheek wound seems similar to your. A few of the other scrapes were much deeper, but we only worried about the cheek.  Just kept it moist with an antibiotic ointment.  Try not to let the scab dry up and fall off prematurely..  Falling off , bleeding, and rescabbing causes the deepest marks.   When jis  scab finally fell off the skin underneath was a nice healed pink--no bleeding.  Then sunblock  until skins gets close to normal.  .   

Ugh. Obviously I can relate to his injury!!  I am glad he is healing okay.

I am trying to keep it moist. One of the challenges is getting the swelling down around my eye without the wound sticking to the towel around the ice pack. I haven't figured out how to do this. Any input on how he did that? My eye is almost swollen shut. 

Edited by cintinative

5 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I’m so sorry about your fall. I agree that a dermatologist consultation might help you. But I did want to say that absolutely wear sunscreen on your face/scars *every* day! They will scar much worse with UV exposure. So sunscreen for sure! I’d personally probably just use Vaseline. I scar easily too and haven’t been able to avoid them usually. 😕 

I might be confused, but are you saying to use Vaseline for sunscreen?  Or just to keep it moist, and then sunscreen as well? The doctor I saw said no makeup. I  did not think to ask about sunscreen. 

• Like 1

Sorry... not Vaseline *as* sunscreen!

If it’s still in the healing phase, use Vaseline/bandages. Once it’s healed, I’d then be very strict about sunscreen (when it’s that very dark pink/new skin phase).

I had a suspicious mole on my chest removed by a plastic surgeon (requiring several stitches) and this was the advice he gave me. He actually told me to wear sunscreen over it even on days where my shirt covered it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, happi duck said:

(hugs)

Could you ice your eye with a single ice cube in a washcloth?

I was just thinking that possibly I needed something just for my eye. The ice pack is too big. I might try an ice cube in a baggie or something. Or I might just have to deal with the swelling because it hurts when the towel sticks to my face.  

3 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Sorry... not Vaseline *as* sunscreen!

If it’s still in the healing phase, use Vaseline/bandages. Once it’s healed, I’d then be very strict about sunscreen (when it’s that very dark pink/new skin phase).

I had a suspicious mole on my chest removed by a plastic surgeon (requiring several stitches) and this was the advice he gave me. He actually told me to wear sunscreen over it even on days where my shirt covered it. 

This makes much more sense. 😃 The doctor said no bandages on my face because it will heal better if it has air.   I am going to get some looks at the grocery this weekend. How strange would I look wearing sunglasses everywhere inside? LOL.  😃  The scrape on my shoulder is bandaged because she said the rubbing on my shirt would slow down the healing.  

I was told that vitamin E oil helped with scarring.  I'd get it in capsules and make a pin hole in one at a time so that I could squeeze out the oil.  One capsule would last for several days, depending on the size of the scar!

• Like 2

I would use neosporin to help avoid infection. An umbrella to keep sun off.  A flexible gel type refreezable cool pack might also be nice (without a towel)   

I wonder if vitamins internally taken would help?

later, when basically healed, E oil on the area might help

• Like 1

If you have a flexible gel ice pack, use that. It's more comfortable than a hard one. Wrap it in a washcloth, then put the whole thing in a gallon sized zip-loc bag.  Or, wrap in plastic wrap.  That will give you a comfortable, moldable, insulated ice pack that won't stick to your face.  Rest with your head higher than your heart, if possible, like in a recliner.

Lavender oil is good for healing, if you have any.  Just mix with the neosporin or vaseline in your palm before applying it.  Or, pure lavender oil can be used straight.  

Aloe vera is also good for healing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

This makes much more sense. 😃 The doctor said no bandages on my face because it will heal better if it has air.   I am going to get some looks at the grocery this weekend. How strange would I look wearing sunglasses everywhere inside? LOL.  😃  The scrape on my shoulder is bandaged because she said the rubbing on my shirt would slow down the healing.  

Was this a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who said it would heal better with air? Or a regular general practice/urgent care/ER doctor? Because that goes against everything I know about preventing scarring, and against everything the dermatologists have told me when I've had procedures on my face. The old advice (WAY OLD) was "let it get air" which helped create a scab faster. Might have helped prevent infection as well, if it was dry/scabbed. But scabs = scars. The newer advice is to NEVER let it dry out, keep it moist. Your body heals in a totally different way with moist healing than dry healing. 

I'd definitely try to get in with a dermatologist if you are concerned. And keep it moist - aquaphor or vaseline in between the antibiotic applications. Stay out of the sun completely until it is healed enough to use sunscreen. Wear a hat, etc. My scar on my face only shows if I get sun. 

Also, general tip to all boards - if you EVER have a face injury, insists on seeing a plastic surgeon. They do things very differently than a general practice or ER doctor. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Was this a plastic surgeon who said it would heal better with air? Because that goes against everything I know about preventing scarring, and against everything the dermatologists have told me when I've had procedures on my face. The old advice (WAY OLD) was "let it get air" which helped create a scab faster. Might have helped prevent infection as well, if it was dry/scabbed. But scabs = scars. The newer advice is to NEVER let it dry out, keep it moist. Your body heals in a totally different way with moist healing than dry healing. 

I'd definitely try to get in with a dermatologist if you are concerned. And keep it moist - aquaphor or vaseline in between the antibiotic applications. Stay out of the sun completely until it is healed enough to use sunscreen. Wear a hat, etc. My scar on my face only shows if I get sun. 

No, it was just a regular doctor. I could go see a dermatologist.  I have been keeping it moist.  

Here's what I learned about scarring while preparing for a hernia repair surgery:  

- When the wound is fully closed (it can still be red, but it should be closed and able to withstand peeling tape on and off), take tension off of the healed over place by using silicone bandages.  You can buy the brand Scar-away and cut them up to fit, but you can also just buy silicone tape on rolls which is much cheaper and probably better for the face because you can use several pieces cut to the size you need.  It would be annoying to wear out and about, but at home and while sleeping, you apply the tape so that there is NO TENSION on the healing wound.  In other words, if you smile or wrinkle your brow or whatever, the TAPE should pull taut, but your skin underneath remain slack.  Tension is a huge factor in scarring, so the tape works to keep tension off the wound.  The tape can be washed at the sink and air dried and reused a few times if desired, and can also survive and stay on after a light shower where it may get incidentally damp.  

You can also buy silicone based "scar creams"- these work by helping the wound stay moist, but they do not prevent tension the way silicone tape does.  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, J-rap said:

I was told that vitamin E oil helped with scarring.  I'd get it in capsules and make a pin hole in one at a time so that I could squeeze out the oil.  One capsule would last for several days, depending on the size of the scar!

You can buy Vitamin E oil on its own now! That's what I've used with kids after stitches. My youngest got a deep gash on his forehead at 18 months, and I was so sad to see his sweet baby skin scarred. Vitamin E oil religiously for 6-12 months, and now five years later, you can't even see it! Of course, he has youth on his side, but I think it's a miracle worker! (Sunscreen too!)

• Like 2

I've had success with vitamin E oil for preventing scarring from both cuts and 2nd degree burns. I bought a small bottle from the pharmacy, but Trader Joe's sells it for a good price too. As others have said, I never let the wounds dry out, and there is absolutely no evidence that I ever spilled hot oil over my right hand or that I deeply sliced into my left index finger with a serrated knife.

• Like 1

Seconding Monica_in_Switzerland's suggestion of silicone anti-scarring strips. A few years ago I had Mohs surgery to remove a skin cancer that was very close to my eye. My derm referred me to a top Mohs surgeon who insisted that while he would remove the cancer, I would have to be transported afterwards to a plastic surgeon to do the actual repair or else I would end up with scarring. I got a second opinion from another surgeon who was willing to do both the removal and repair herself. I kept it moist with Aquaphor and then used the silicone strips, and I have no visible scar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Seconding Monica_in_Switzerland's suggestion of silicone anti-scarring strips. A few years ago I had Mohs surgery to remove a skin cancer that was very close to my eye. My derm referred me to a top Mohs surgeon who insisted that while he would remove the cancer, I would have to be transported afterwards to a plastic surgeon to do the actual repair or else I would end up with scarring. I got a second opinion from another surgeon who was willing to do both the removal and repair herself. I kept it moist with Aquaphor and then used the silicone strips, and I have no visible scar.

I can't get into see the Dermatologist until Tuesday. I tried the Aquaphor and now that part of my face is gooey. Is that normal? Did I use too much? I am hoping the dermatologist nurse call me back--I asked for help in what to do in the interim.

12 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I can't get into see the Dermatologist until Tuesday. I tried the Aquaphor and now that part of my face is gooey. Is that normal? Did I use too much? I am hoping the dermatologist nurse call me back--I asked for help in what to do in the interim.

My wound stayed pretty wet/gooey for a while, but I just googled "aquaphor and wound healing" and pulled up this study that suggests that plain white petroleum jelly may actually be better than aquaphor, because some people react to the additional ingredients in aquaphor, leading to more redness and/or swelling. My dermatologist recommended aquaphor, but if I had to have another surgery I think I'd try plain white petroleum jelly instead. If you have some, maybe try that and see if it makes a difference? Here's a link to the study: https://jddonline.com/articles/dermatology/S1545961613P0163X/1/

• Thanks 1