Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Recommended Posts

Do any of you have experience or advice regarding ID needed (for homeschoolers) when they turn up for the SAT on test day?

We're in Australia, so that likely affects things. 

My daughter (13) has no passport. She has a student ID issued by our state govt department, but really, it is so dodgy looking I'm worried it won't get my daughter through the door. It seriously looks like something I've whipped up at home at the last minute. I can only hope that the test supervisor is familiar with our home education department in our state and knows this is what the student IDs look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used a non-drivers state ID for my ds.  Do you have something like that in your state?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, freesia said:

We used a non-drivers state ID for my ds.  Do you have something like that in your state?

Thank you. I'll look into that. I have no idea if such a thing exists here. I know there's a 'proof of age' card you can get if you're 18+ but don't have a driver's license. But at 13? I just don't know 🤔

I think I'll try to find out who the test supervisor is and make direct contact, as this is concerning me. Our city only has one testing centre, so hopefully I'll be able to speak to someone who can ease my mind on this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time my dd took it, we printed a form from the college board’s website and took it to a notary along with my ID and her birth certificate and a picture of her. They have a special form to do that with. If you can’t find it, I’ll look for it later. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kand said:

The first time my dd took it, we printed a form from the college board’s website and took it to a notary along with my ID and her birth certificate and a picture of her. They have a special form to do that with. If you can’t find it, I’ll look for it later. 

thank you 🌻

I think I saw that that option is only for US and US territories? Worth checking though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your DD is 13, should we assume she is in middle school still? If so, I believe SAT doesn’t require a picture ID. Double check on this but for students younger than 9th grade the rules are a little different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

 

Unfortunately the form can’t be used outside of US

“Testing Staff: This form is valid only if signed and sealed by a school official or notary. Forms signed by school officials must be printed on school stationery. Do not accept this form as valid identification outside of the United States and/or if test taker is aged 21 or over.”

If you put her grade as 8th grade on test date, she won’t need a photo ID. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the US, kids often use their school ID pictures. Our local schools issue lovely plastic photo ID cards, but smaller schools have dodgy IDs and those work too. Yours was actually issued by a government entity so kick up a fuss if they give you any hassle!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

If your DD is 13, should we assume she is in middle school still? If so, I believe SAT doesn’t require a picture ID. Double check on this but for students younger than 9th grade the rules are a little different.

My understanding is that her ticket doesn't have a photo because of her age, but she'll still need to turn up on test day with some valid ID to prove that she is who she says she is. 

I wonder if I've misunderstood? This is our first go at this and SATs are not common here at all, so we're feeling a bit lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chiguirre said:

In the US, kids often use their school ID pictures. Our local schools issue lovely plastic photo ID cards, but smaller schools have dodgy IDs and those work too. Yours was actually issued by a government entity so kick up a fuss if they give you any hassle!

Thank you. Yes, I'm certainly capable and willing to kick up a fuss if need be 🙂   

Yep, it was indeed issued by a government department, but goodness, this card is Dodgy with a capital D 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

 

Unfortunately the form can’t be used outside of US

“Testing Staff: This form is valid only if signed and sealed by a school official or notary. Forms signed by school officials must be printed on school stationery. Do not accept this form as valid identification outside of the United States and/or if test taker is aged 21 or over.”

If you put her grade as 8th grade on test date, she won’t need a photo ID. 

Re the bold - okay, that's good to know. Thank you. 

Is ID of some form needed though? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Re the bold - okay, that's good to know. Thank you. 

Is ID of some form needed though? 

 

Nope. Below photo is how DS13’s admission ticket look like for his June 2019 test.

5BB1B163-9EA1-4857-92A3-B443D51CCA92.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

 

Nope. Below photo is how DS13’s admission ticket look like for his June 2019 test.

5BB1B163-9EA1-4857-92A3-B443D51CCA92.jpeg

I'm surprised that nothing else is needed. Anyone could walk in with that ticket and claim to be that person. 🤔

But it makes it easier!   Thank you.

And yes, my daughter is listed as 8th grade at time of testing. I was a bit iffy about that though, because our school years are different here to in the USA. If my daughter went to school, she'd be in Grade 8 here in Australia in October, so I listed 8th grade.

My daughter is all calm and chilled out about it all, and I'm the one with my knickers in a knot about all the logistics 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Re the bold - okay, that's good to know. Thank you. 

Is ID of some form needed though? 

 

 

According to the College Board site, yes, Some kind ID is still needed for those in 8th grade or lower.  The issue of no photo on the ticket is separate from test day procedures if I am reading this info on this link correctly.  I never had my students tested that young.  (I realize this conflicts with the document above from June testing.)

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/special-circumstances/younger-students

 

 

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm surprised that nothing else is needed. Anyone could walk in with that ticket and claim to be that person. 🤔

 

 

DS14 took SAT once and 3 subject test in middle school. DS13 took SAT twice and also 3 subject test in middle school. Of those test sites that I am allowed to walk my kid to the door of the classroom, the proctor only took the admission ticket and ask them to say their name and date of birth. They didn’t ask for the passport my kids had with them. Those classrooms were a mixed of ages with some high school students.

When my kids took the test in classrooms that were all middle school students, my kids said the proctors didn’t ask for the passports to verify either.

ACT checked their passports when my kids took in 6th grade, different dates and different public high schools. They also verify my kids’ name and birthdate as well as which city we live in.

The site where my kids take the AMC math exams does check photo IDs for all the students who are taking. They do allow parents to vouch for the young kids.

DS14 was tall for age so proctors tend to be taken aback when they see the birthdate on his admission ticket. He was taller than me (my height is about 1.57m) in 6th grade, about 1.8m in 8th grade. They look at my husband (1.77m) and figured that’s where the height came from. DS13 was short for his age so no one doubt he is a middle school kid. He was 1.72m tall at the recent June sat Chemistry subject test, and took in a room of all middle school students, less than ten kids in that room. 

I would just bring along whatever ID your daughter has. Does your city or YMCA issue a youth membership photo ID card or bus pass that you can use as a backup to the student ID issued by the state government? My kids had a photo ID done at my city’s golf youth program and the ID was just a card size grainy inkjet printout that was laminated. My public passport system also issues youth monthly commuter pass with photo on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the lead time on applying for a passport, and how much time until your exam?  I would be cautious about responses from us Americans and regarding other exams because the rules may be different overseas.  I would ask around locally and contact the CB, and even then I would be cautious about advice that seems too good to be true.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, daijobu said:

What is the lead time on applying for a passport, and how much time until your exam?  

 

I think OP’s daughter is taking in October so enough time to apply and get a passport. 

“How long to get a passport

It normally takes about three weeks to receive a passport, no matter where you apply.

A child passport without full parental consent takes much longer.

To minimise processing time, make sure your application includes everything we need.” https://www.passports.gov.au/passports-explained/how-long-get-passport

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kid wasn’t asked for ID, but I we still took one with us. I would be cautious unless CB tells you 100% they don’t need a photo ID.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

 

I think OP’s daughter is taking in October so enough time to apply and get a passport. 

“How long to get a passport

It normally takes about three weeks to receive a passport, no matter where you apply.

A child passport without full parental consent takes much longer.

To minimise processing time, make sure your application includes everything we need.” https://www.passports.gov.au/passports-explained/how-long-get-passport

Yes, her exam is Oct 5, so there's plenty of time to get a passport if it's actually needed.

But wowsers, I really don't want to have to spend another couple of hundred dollars. Sitting the SAT is $150 here. Adding the cost of a passport .... ouch.

But, that said, it would solve all ID issues for 5 years for any exams she sits, so it's worth considering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...