Menu

Has anyone used America:A Narrative History?

Has anyone used the textbook America: A Narrative History? I did a search in the forum and it didn't pop up anywhere. It looks to be a high school/college textbook. On the publisher's website, they offer many resources in study guides, quizzes, etc. but you have to be part of a school to order. Ugh. Looks like a great American history textbook but I don't think I realistically have time to create study guides, quizzes, discussion questions, etc. Would love, love, love if anyone has recommendations for this book or one like it. I really wish Susan Wise Bauer would write an American history book for high school. We adored her History of the Ancient World. 

I haven't used that. Just wanted to give you something to think about.

I didn't create any of the things you listed for my kids' US History course. There are some readable (non-textbook-y) US History books out there. I had my eldest write up summaries of chapters one year & work through some Critical Thinking Company books. The following year, she wrote more essays (in response to prompts from questions in the Great Courses US History guide) and worked through US History Detective Book 2. (We'd done a ton of world history but not much US History so I spread it over two high school years.)

FundaFunda has a free schedule you could use. AP US History tests/study guides could provide some possible questions & essay/discussion topics, too.

• Like 3

My dd just used the Brief 10E Vol. 1 of Shi and Tindall's America: A Narrative History for HIST 1301 at her community college. She really liked the textbook which they used in conjunction with a Norton Custom Anthology of readings. It came with an Inquizitive code which her class didn't use but probably includes all the extras you mentioned. I got our copy with an unused code for under $20 on Amazon marketplace so keep an eye out there. 

• Like 1