Menu

Which GPB physics course?

I’m looking at the 2 physics courses from GPB - Physics Fundamentals and Physics in Motion. I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them and how they differ or if there is one you prefer over the other? It appears that their newer physics course has much shorter videos. It looks like both have notetaking guides and student problems etc. But I’ve not had the time to really sit down and watch videos from both.

Physics in Motion just came out this summer, so I doubt anyone has used any of it. I'm not sure if teacher materials are available to home schoolers yet. We used Physics Fundamentals along with Glencoe (I think) textbook after our first choice fell through for "physics first". It was good for what we needed. The teacher was super cheesy, but for a younger student, it was great.

I probably would have done Derek Owens, though, if I had it to do again.

• 10 months later...

Just reviving this thread to explain what I see as the differences, in case someone else wants the info.  Both are based on free videos available on the Georgia Public Broadcasting website.  Student worksheets and lab sheets are also available free online, but you have to request teacher access to the keys.  There is a fee and you have to provide proof that you are a homeschooler.  

The new series, Physics in Motion, is not a full course.  It includes note-taking sheets, worksheets, and lab sheets.  The teacher materials include answer keys for all of those, and the student pages are included in a separate file for ease of printing.  However, there are no quizzes, review sheets, or tests.  The videos are polished and move quickly, and the written material looks professional.   It will likely be a good supplement to other physics programs, including the original GPB physics program, Physics Fundamentals.  

Physics Fundamentals is a full course, including note-taking pages,  practice worksheets, quizzes, and tests.  There is no midterm or final exam.  Unlike the other series, this one teaches the needed trig within the lessons.  The videos are not as polished as the newer series and the speech is slower, but you can use the settings in the video player to increase speed to 1.25.  The printed pages are written in Comic Sans font, but the material looks fine.  The teacher keys include worksheets, quizzes, and tests, but not the note-taking pages.  

• Thanks 1