Menu

What's with the ads?

Rebecca

Visualizing and Verbalizing

Does anyone have any experience with Visualizing and Verbalizing with an older student?

I am interested in implementing this- but I don't think I need the whole classroom set.

I am uncertain what components are absolutely essential.

Thank you for your help!!

-Rebecca

Maybe contact Merry Gardens directly.  I recall her having a lot of information about using LMB product, but we haven’t discussed that topic in a while.

I've used Visualizing and Verbalizing with several older students. I think that only the Manual is absolutely essential.  You can make all of the supplemental materials yourself.  As the student progresses, I think the Comprehension workbooks are nice to have, as it saves you time and effort with finding the right kind of paragraphs to use.

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Better to check eyes and find out why not visualizing, THEN do V/V.

It is the mental visualizing she struggles with- and the mental flexibility-

not literal visualizing.

4 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

It is the mental visualizing she struggles with- and the mental flexibility-

not literal visualizing.

Visualizing for v/v is part of developmental vision and checked by a developmental optometrist . Retained reflexes and developmental vision problems will glitch it.

V/v is SLP generated and the end fruit. So figure out the physical glitch first.

Edited by PeterPan

23 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

V/v is SLP generated and the end fruit. So figure out the physical glitch first.

I don't think this is correct. It is not SLP generated like LIPS is. Creating and utilizing  mental imagery for language comprehension is a separate issue from developmental vision. 

The V/v program technically goes beyond visualization and hits attributes, categories, etc, your language disability stuff, yes. I own both Talkies and V/V btw. My dd had poor visualization due to developmental vision problems while my ds had language issues Talkies/v/v was good for but no issues with visualization only language. 

So if people are saying their dc doesn’t visualize I say developmental optometrist first. Not logical to skip treating the developmental vision.

Edited by PeterPan

I use it with an older adult student.  It's someone who lost the ability to visualize (both pictures and words) due to a brain injury.  I believe it's been very helpful.  I have the main manual and one workbook.  I decided to start with Workbook 2 and I think that's been a good start for us.

I would get the manual and the first couple workbooks. If the colored felts are cheap, I'd buy those too, or you can make them yourself. 

• Like 1