Menu

Oh dear. I think I found a master's degree that's kind of perfect.

I am one class away from completing a graduate certificate, which I have been presuming would be the end of my formal academic studies. At 54 years old, with no specific, high-powered career ambitions (or expectations), I have felt pretty strongly that I need to be prudent in terms of how much I invest, both financially and otherwise, in this stuff. Since I'm a confirmed academic nerd, it's also a constant dance to balance the sheer entertainment/hobby value of taking classes (and getting grades!) with the fact that we do have other financial responsibilities. 

But, oh, in my heart of hearts, I have always wanted to do a master's degree. I react like a kid before Christmas at the very idea of writing a thesis.

Just this evening, I found out there is a degree program that is right up my alley and that requires only 33 credit hours. I could apply all of the coursework I've already done for the graduate certificate, meaning I would need to complete only the core sequence -- all courses that I would love to take -- and a thesis. 

It's from our state university, so the tuition is as reasonable as such things ever are. 

And I'm essentially halfway done already.

I should really find a job first, but I may be having trouble holding on my resolve, here.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

Oh, that sounds wonderful Jenny! Are you sure you want to resist? I totally understand trying to limit the investment. i'm doing the same, but if you found the perfect degree program and the price is right... 

Sorry, I'm not helping am I!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Denise in IN said:

I think you should go for it!  It sounds great to have something that you're passionate about to focus on in your current season of life.

Can you work and pursue the master's degree part time?  Maybe work part time instead of full time?

Oh, I've been working full time while doing the certificate part time, and I hadn't even considered changing that.

(Well, little wrinkle -- I quit my job a couple of weeks ago when the fact that it was a terrible fit for me became unavoidable, but I am in full-tilt job-hunt mode and intend to get back into a full-time position as soon as possible.)

31 minutes ago, sassenach said:

A master's would make you more marketable.... and think of the connections....

We're terrible enablers around here.

I actually just got a job offer this afternoon. I am taking the weekend to consider, trying to avoid the kind of impulsive jump that got me intro trouble last time, but I am leaning towards accepting. If I do, I seriously intend for this to be the last time I have to market myself. I really, really just want to settle in, do a good job, get paid a reasonable amount for my work, maybe move up a rung within the organization at some point, and keep doing a good job and getting paid reasonably well for it until I retire.

With that said, however, I did contact the head of the department once I realized that I have missed the application deadline for this fall to ask if there is any wiggle room on the date. Turns out they are full for fall, but she did suggest that I register for one of the core classes, which has no prereqs and has open enrollment, because I can apply the credits after/if I get admitted later.

I was iffy on going forward while we are doing without my income, but I went ahead and registered, figuring I could drop the class before the payment deadline if necessary. Assuming I do take this position, I will be making enough to cover the tuition.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I actually just got a job offer this afternoon. I am taking the weekend to consider, trying to avoid the kind of impulsive jump that got me intro trouble last time, but I am leaning towards accepting. If I do, I seriously intend for this to be the last time I have to market myself. I really, really just want to settle in, do a good job, get paid a reasonable amount for my work, maybe move up a rung within the organization at some point, and keep doing a good job and getting paid reasonably well for it until I retire.

With that said, however, I did contact the head of the department once I realized that I have missed the application deadline for this fall to ask if there is any wiggle room on the date. Turns out they are full for fall, but she did suggest that I register for one of the core classes, which has no prereqs and has open enrollment, because I can apply the credits after/if I get admitted later.

I was iffy on going forward while we are doing without my income, but I went ahead and registered, figuring I could drop the class before the payment deadline if necessary. Assuming I do take this position, I will be making enough to cover the tuition.

That all sounds very reasonable. Congrats on the job offer!