Menu

Help: Toy Story 4 and mental health

Targhee

I have not seen the movie yet, but I was considering taking my girls (7, 12, day 16) to it. I have heard there are some existential topics in it, and that it touches on self identify, self worth, and other emotional/mental health aspects.  Can anyone who has seen the movie tell me ANY reason that it might not be a good choice of a 2e teenager struggling with anxiety, depression, friendship/acceptance, self identity, and heaps of shame???  We are addressing all of these things, I just don't want to exacerbate or lose ground gained in getting her to a better place.

Just an example of why I am concerned. She loves kids movies still, and is pretty sensitive to begin with, so when we saw HTTYD The Hidden World she was upset, crying, and ruminating for a few days on the fact that Hiccup and Toothless were no longer together (even though I tried to emphasize that they had each found themselves and were happy, and saw each other again).  

14 minutes ago, Targhee said:

I have heard there are some existential topics in it, and that it touches on self identify, self worth, and other emotional/mental health aspects.   

Eh, kinda sorta but not really. I don't think those aspects would be that troublesome, but people no longer being together might be (although that has happened in prior Toy Story movies as well). 

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!! YE BE WARNED!!!! 

It's impossible to describe the relevant content without some spoilers. 

The self-identity part comes in because the little girl makes herself a toy/friend out of trash. Because he's made out of trash, he thinks he belongs in the trash, lol. It's not played off as, oh, I'm not worthy to be with the other toys, but simply that he was trash and is constantly trying to escape to where he belongs, ie the trash. There's a song that gets into that concept a bit more, but the only lines I personally noticed were "I can't let you throw yourself away" and "Since I'm not gonna do this every day
Come tomorrow, you're gonna have to save yourself" with the first one being repeated the most. Of course, no one stops saving him and finally he gets it. I personally would not consider it as touching on emotional/mental health aspects. 

Now, if she was upset for days about two characters no longer being together in another movie, that might upset her in this one as well. However, this is a repeated theme in Toy Story (toys not having owners or being wanted, toys being given away, toys being lost) and I think the others were much worse/sadder. The only difference in 4 is that it is a main, original character is the one who will no longer be with the main group . . . but it's voluntary and a natural progression of things. It's part of the repeated motif in Toy Story that things change and people/toys move on, and yes it's sad but it's okay and often for the better. 

• Like 1

Has your daughter been fine with the other Toy Story movies?

I have watched the first 3 and each time I ended up anxious and sad and...it wasn't a good feeling.  Other Pixar films have gotten to me the same way.  I won't watch TS4.  Definitely not in the theater where I can't escape and probably not on the tv at home, even parts of it.  Even here, reading the spoilers and knowing what to expect I still don't think I can do it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

We went to see it the day it opened.  I didn't find that any of the things the story is about are much more than surface sorts of things.

Except............the end.  I hated the end.  One of the biggest line from the first movie is "YOU ARE A TOY!  And the end of TS4 feels like it betrays that......to me.  Even in that "betrayal" though,  Woody still moves on to help other toys find their kids.  

I can't speak to what your kid was dealing with.  I can say that I expected my pretty sensitive DD10 to be affected.  And, I cried more than she did.  So, I dunno if that helps or not.  I can say there is so much funny stuff within the story line that some of the more serious stuff just wasn't as serious.

The dummy guys are like freaky though.  

26 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I have watched the first 3 and each time I ended up anxious and sad and...it wasn't a good feeling.  Other Pixar films have gotten to me the same way.  I won't watch TS4.  Definitely not in the theater where I can't escape and probably not on the tv at home, even parts of it.  Even here, reading the spoilers and knowing what to expect I still don't think I can do it.

We haven't seen it yet, specifically because  of this. I just don't think I can, not knowing the way it ends. Nope, nopity, nope, nope. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That’s how I felt about the Toy Story movies and Inside Out, too.  I’ve never figured out why.

Oh, man. Inside Out just destroyed me. I mean, I cried during the movie, but I also just couldn't shake off the emotional stuff that movie set off for me, which stuck for days.

And I actively avoid hearing Jessie's song from Toy Story 2, because even the melody reminds me of the montage sequence. 

I have also avoided seeing the most recent How to Train Your Dragon, because I have heard it is emotionally challenging, and I had trouble with the previous one.

Yeah, I might have some issues

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That’s how I felt about the Toy Story movies and Inside Out, too.  I’ve never figured out why.

Yup, I only watched one Toy Story movie because of that, and refused to see Inside Out. I know I'm sensitive/empathetic but I find many "kids" movies to be WAY to high on the emotional angst meter for me, whereas many adult movies are not at all. Go figure. It's like producers think as long as it is animated you can do anything and it is still okay for kids??

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I have also avoided seeing the most recent How to Train Your Dragon, because I have heard it is emotionally challenging, and I had trouble with the previous one.

My kids are big HTTYD fans, but #3 brought on the waterworks (more so than #2). There were lots of sniffles in the theater (we just saw it again yesterday, at the $1 summer movies).

I generally avoid what I call "crying movies." My kids want to see those dog movies (A Dog's Life, A Dog's Purpose, etc)...um, nope. Not on my watch. 

• Like 2

It can be hard to tell what will affect dc how.  I had a dc who was terrified of the opening of The Sound of Music.  Apparently the young Julie Andrews’ swinging guitar case seemed like a menacing object. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1