Menu

Practicing foreign language vocabulary

Do your kids have any favorite activities or ideas for practicing their foreign language vocabulary?  The text has practice exercises, and I will set my son up with a flashcard app, but I could use some ideas for additional practice.

I can make some crossword puzzles and word searches for some sections.  Maybe a few "draw a picture and label" assignments.  What other sorts of things do your kids like for working with vocabulary, especially when they don't know enough to write in the language?

the online site Memrise has vocabulary words already prebuilt as decks of flashcards by other users - if your child is following a standard textbook and lessons, then, you can look for decks of cards on Memrise that correspond to each chapter of that textbook. Most decks have pictures associated with them. For example, my child studies latin using a particular text and memrise has decks of cards for that text for each lesson. I ask him to review vocabulary words for 2 chapters, once a week during the summer to keep him from forgetting.

If your children have the time and interest, they can create their own deck of cards online for review of each chapter.