Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Critterfixer

Accountability Thread 7/7-7/13

Morning! Anybody but me already having dreams that the school year is starting and there's no plan? Only me? 🤣

Today, though, I don't have a lot planned to remedy that. I do need to look at catalogs and get an order ready to go out as soon as I get paid for the extra work this past week and the week before. And then I need to do some book selection and figure out when I need to make sure we have those books so I can order them from the library. Other than that, cooking and writing are my main plans for today. I've got two chapters of revision to get through to meet my quota, and I still have words to write today to catch up on word count for my own goals. 

Then later this week, I need to figure out what I'll need to build a new bookcase for the dining room. We desperately need a big unit in there, and all I have are two small ones. Every closet that I've build bookcases in is in current use, and the one large one I have in my room is full. A built-in will be perfect, and match the cabinet in there, but I have to build it. 

What's on your list of to-do for the week?

• Like 1

Morning! 

No actual dreams YET about the planning bomb exploding, just a growing sense of unease.  Here's to planning time and a cuppa! 

Critterfixer, may I ask about your bookshelves (or I could post this on a separate thread which might be better for distributing info): I need to do this, too, but am so intimidated.  I think I need to do most of it when DH is not around b/c for some reason having him about makes me stupid.  I've done some very basic wood-building, we have (and I have used) the power tools that make things go more easily, but I just can't get my head around it.  Do you build onto a base cabinet?  Do you have a header?  Do you hang shelves all the way up you want without sides/base/header?  I don't want to grab your time, but any quick pointers would be much appreciated. 

This week: planning continues!  and we begin implementing The Plan gradually.  The Bright Side of our (really, really not awesome) last year is that we have plenty we need to get done so I can start immediately.  !!!  Trying to get some more stuff in the garden; if I hop quick it won't be too late to get a little bean & cherry tomato crop in before autumn's cloudy skies roll over us.  Need mulch, need to figure out the hedge plants I want to get in.  Keep cleaning the house; exercise; continue to try to heal elder DS's digestion stuff; get to Pokemon afternoon and D&D game night; pick up our Bible studies. 

And breathe!  Elder DS's tummy was just up & down yesterday, so emotional rollercoaster there followed by random PTSD trigger right before bed so I'm exhausted and sort of empty-feeling.  Breathing, having tea, enjoying my littles and sweet DH and moving forward. 

• Like 1

Right now, all I have is a basic sketch on the board as to what dimensions I want for the bookcase. I will have a board at the back, probably cabinet grade birch plywood, and that will be anchored to the wall studs. I will then build a base, attach it to the backboard, and sort of frame it up from there. It's got to hold some pretty heavy books. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Right now, all I have is a basic sketch on the board as to what dimensions I want for the bookcase. I will have a board at the back, probably cabinet grade birch plywood, and that will be anchored to the wall studs. I will then build a base, attach it to the backboard, and sort of frame it up from there. It's got to hold some pretty heavy books. 

Thank you.  That was a really helpful rundown: I haven't seen anybody start with the back attached to the wall, and that just makes so much sense for a project like this, then you can measure and cut as you build & frame, and you will be sure that it ends up fitting where it ought to. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

Thank you.  That was a really helpful rundown: I haven't seen anybody start with the back attached to the wall, and that just makes so much sense for a project like this, then you can measure and cut as you build & frame, and you will be sure that it ends up fitting where it ought to. 

That's kind of what I thought. I often end doing a lot of carpentry like that, because if you build it exactly square, it won't fit in this house. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Haha 1

It's hot, sticky, and a million degrees outside. I feel kind of bad for saying the chicken house needs cleaning today, but it does. The boys are going to handle that this morning. For me: I have a ton of writing and revising to get through today, and there's the perennial joy of laundry, dishes, and so forth. Also, I have to cook, and pick DH up later today after he drops his truck off at the shop for some work.

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

That's kind of what I thought. I often end doing a lot of carpentry like that, because if you build it exactly square, it won't fit in this house. 

Us too!!!

• Like 1

Okay, it is 3:54 PM and I have figured out reasonable goals for the day! 

The challenge goal: getting exercise in.  No idea how this will happen.  If we are out so late that DH is in bed before I get home, then maybe I can do it then.  If DH is awake then I get totally thrown off my last-ditch exercise track esp. when I'm tired. 

Other goals: be more mellow about elder DS's eating while still encouraging him to eat well; do a short "day" of school with our planning system; leave space for continued rest & recovery generally; read aloud at lunch; engage laundry management, vacuum downstairs, and make dinner to leave for DH; go to our D&D gamenight.  I'm working through our homeschool planning so I want to keep going on that.  Bible/Christian Studies is something I'm planning at the moment, and I don't esp. like the verses in our MP books so I ordered the scripture memory system I'd like to use from Simply Charlotte Mason. 

Today's gone fairly well.  If I can have dinner made & the house tidy before we leave for our game + a short list of garden supplies to pick up tomorrow + stay present & engaged (be a creative & flexible problem-solver is a huge part of this) then things will be going quite well. 

Critterfixer: hope the boys did a great job on the chicken house.  Chickens + summer heat = pungent! if I recall correctly; haven't been around chickens in ages.  Hurrah for fresh eggs; hurrah too for writing & revising & all things editorial; and for the cycle of life that is dishes & laundry & home management.  Keeps one humble, I suppose ... no matter what we're reading or listening to or imagining, there's still laundry & dog-baths & all that Life. 

• Like 1

Good morning. 

On the list today:

• make sure elder DS gets plenty of snacks & stuff w/o fretting about how much he actually eats (his health seems to be improving substantially ... I'm holding my breath, waiting for other shoe, &c but can't help being hopeful);
  • get both boys some "formal" exercise (esp. important for elder, who hasn't much muscle mass) in addition to their hours outside;
  • minimal school (1/2 of a usual day's math; Anki; Latin/Bible; composition for 1/2 usual day's work; independent reading, piano practice);
  • get by garden store for mulch &c;
  • pick up some sausages & berries & some savory munchy while we are out;
  • spend Significant Time (30-60" I hope) planning our school;
  • exercise for myself;
  • dinner early-ish for a variety of reasons; ideally we could eat 6:30 or so (we've been running 7:30 many days);
  • house  cleaning;
  • read a Foreign Affairs article, extra credit for Sci American too.  But I never get the e.c. stuff done!!!! 

ETA: song of the day: Chumbawamba's Tubthumping.  My affection for this song totally disappointed a Serious Music Aficionado friend I had in school ... my reputation never recovered.  Why?  I totally love it ...

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Afternoon! Still writing and revising today. It is very, very hot. Well, not so much, it's the humidity more than anything else. But school is done and I'm charging ahead with what I have left to revise on this book and keeping up with much of my other writing as well. 

I realized that I have a bunch of "projects" around the house that need doing. Not just the bookcase. But if I think too much about it, I'll get overwhelmed, and nobody much cares about the things but me. So, until somebody else cares enough to fix them, I think I'll just let them go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

ETA: song of the day: Chumbawamba's Tubthumping.  My affection for this song totally disappointed a Serious Music Aficionado friend I had in school ... my reputation never recovered.  Why?  I totally love it ...

I can get so much done with that song! I love it too....

• Like 1

Morning. We took an impromptu day off, and will be going to the lake for fishing and boating. It's terrifically hot, and I doubt we'll be out more than a couple of hours, but I'll bring enough water to keep me hydrated and enough writing to keep me productive. Everyone is getting their chores done first, so we can go early and not be boiled. Other than that, I plan to stay in my dark cave in the back of the house and write. Quite possibly, I will lie down and read this afternoon late. I've done most of the cooking for the week, but I might make pizzas later.

• Like 1

Morning! 

Late start here, and very light day school; boys are doing the things they need to do to set them up for next year and I'm doing what I need to set up school & home & keep myself keeping on. This list has stuff that may take me the rest of the week:

• finish drafting "Christian Studies" lesson plans for our current round
    • schedule Bible readings along the lines of the MP materials for both boys (older and younger) -- I like the way MP covers the historical element of Bible, but not their children's Bible or lack of Wisdom books in the OT studies.  So I need to line the work up with our resources. 
    • create lists of memory work, including geography
    • decide how to do church history: bundle in each child's Christian Studies or do as a family? 
    • look over memory verses
    • sketch out resources/general plan for elder DS's next chunk of studies  after he finishes this one
  • Do scut-work for younger DS's summer Minimus Latin.
    • make flashcards
    • make vocabulary lists for him to do as copywork
    • schedule the vocab work so that it "stands alone" from the book -- isn't ideal, but we need to go "get'er done" on this thing
  • Next on school planning would be practical art, artist study.
  • Home
    • have boys put laundry away
    • do daily chores
  • Garden
    • decide where to put some of the new plants
    • brainstorm a general solution for hillside near our bedroom window
  • Exercise
    • "ballet" (ha! There should be so many scare quotes around that)/strength
    • at least a little PM yoga
    • eat right, take amino acid supplements for PTSD/depression
  • Other
    • make a checklist to track our dog's heat cycle -- she's a "guardian dog" and this is important for the breeder but she doesn't think like I do so I need to translate her wishes into something actionable for me
  • Today's song: Christopher Tin's Waloyo Yamoni
  • Like 2

Afternoon. Today was our art morning, after we've had almost a month off. It was nice. I woke up really tired and grumpy, but hopefully some rest this afternoon while I revise will help. The boys have school, but other than that, I don't think we'll be doing much. It's really hot outside, and none of us have a lot of energy.

• Like 1

Afternoon!  Today is yesterday Part 2  🙂  .   Yesterday had a lunch with DH which I'd forgotten about, some elder DS tummy troubles (sadness) and some positive lab results that point to something treatable and not-too-serious which may be compounding his problems (happiness) and elder DS trialed an Aikido class which went well (happiness again).  But my day felt very derailed!  and everything takes so long.  So: here goes, pretty much the same list! 

• Like 1

Morning. Today we are going to pick peaches,  and then spend the rest of the day at home. I have been tired since Wednesday, but hope a good day mostly at home will help. Busy weekend with work and then a trip to the river on Sunday.

• Like 1

Morning!  almost: afternoon! 

Still working on Wednesday's list.  Oh my!  Elder DS' troubles are not solved by the medicine but it may be helping a bit, so we're still in the middle of that and working our way out.  I'd like to work on lining up a generous amount of art for next week and give the boys' fitness a kick in the bum to get it going, too.  For myself today: definitely some exercise -- I've been more reliable about that this week, with the garden being somewhat neglected as a result -- and re-connect with DH. 

• Like 1