Menu

VideoText Algebra course description

VT has a course description here we can use, but I am just wondering if others have split the description up into 2 years or listed both Algebra 1 and 2 together noting it took two years (if it did).

I slightly modified the description given to read "This course thoroughly covers all aspects of Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2, laying a firm foundation for students advancing to geometry. Lessons are covered in a conceptual manner. Topics such as the structure of mathematics, first-degree (and higher) relations, rational relations, quadratic relations, conic sections, and literal degree relations, are broken down into detailed examinations of each in order to master every individual concept within."

Did anyone add anything more or less?

Thanks

I don't generally like course descriptions from websites, I think they sound too much like a commercial 🙂

When we used VT, I wrote a separate one for each year and called one Algebra 1 and the other Algebra 2: "A year long high school level course meeting 5 times a week. Evaluated by daily exercises, quizzes, and unit exams. Covered (insert titles of the units we finished that year here) with an emphasis on solving word problems. Text used: Video Text Algebra modules X - Y. Credit: 1.0 Grade: X

3 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I don't generally like course descriptions from websites, I think they sound too much like a commercial 🙂

When we used VT, I wrote a separate one for each year and called one Algebra 1 and the other Algebra 2: "A year long high school level course meeting 5 times a week. Evaluated by daily exercises, quizzes, and unit exams. Covered (insert titles of the units we finished that year here) with an emphasis on solving word problems. Text used: Video Text Algebra modules X - Y. Credit: 1.0 Grade: X

Thank you. That's makes more sense. I realize my description is still kind of cringey. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, summerreading said:

Thank you. That's makes more sense. I realize my description is still kind of cringey. 

That wasn't meant as a slam, just that I think matter of fact straight up and to the point is probably more what admissions officers are looking for 🙂

• Thanks 1

I compiled the following course descriptions from information provided on VT's site and created Course Description pages similar to Lee Binz's approach. With permission from VideoTextInteractive, I've also included an image (linkable in pdf format to the larger online image) of the Course Schematics for Algebra (I & II) and Geometry, as found on their site. On a side note, I've already started setting up my Comprehensive Record and found the Staples 24-page presentation book to be ideal for my young man's ninth grade high school record. I'll probably do this annually, one for each year, and then a final Comprehensive High School Record using the Itoya I-Series Art Portfolio, which has more pages available. If you're interested, I'll pm samples of these Course Description pages to you.

Course Description
Math: Honors Algebra 1

VideoText Algebra: A Complete Course is designed to thoroughly cover all aspects of Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2, as well as Pre-Calculus, laying a firm foundation for students advancing to VideoText Geometry: A Complete Course. As it covers lessons in a conceptual manner, the student will learn topics such as the structure of mathematics, first-degree (and higher) relations, rational relations, quadratic relations, conic sections, and literal degree relations, broken down into detailed examinations of each in order to master every individual concept within. This Algebra program certainly contains “Advanced” Algebra, in that it covers all Algebraic concepts that are even in college courses, and certainly is an “Honors” course. In the VideoText Algebra program, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Algebra 1”. That means material in all of these Modules was included in order to adequately compare VideoText to any other “Algebra 1” course. As the Algebra credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Algebra credits. Modules A-B cover “Pre-Algebra” topics, while Modules A-E also cover “Algebra 1” topics with Modules B-F covering topics found in “Algebra 2” and “Pre-Calculus” (Units III, IV, IX, and X). However, for grading purposes for Algebra, Units I-V can be marked as “Algebra I,” while Units VI-X can be marked as “Algebra II.”

Course Description
Math: Honors Algebra 2

VideoText Geometry: A Complete Course is designed to thoroughly cover all aspects of Geometry, as well as Trigonometry and what is generally known as “Pre-Calculus”. As it covers lessons in a conceptual manner, the student will learn topics such as geometric measurement, theorems & postulates, proofs, closed plane curves, constructions, and trigonometric relations, broken down into detailed examinations of each in order to master every individual concept within. This Geometry course warrants the term “Honors” because of a significant treatment of formal logic, a more exhaustive study of proofs and theorems, and the complete study of all Plane Geometric shapes up through circles. In the VideoText Geometry program, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Geometry”. That means material in all of these Modules was included in order to adequately compare VideoText to any other “Geometry” course. However, as the credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry credits. Modules A-E (Units I-V) cover “Geometry,” while Modules E-F (Units VI-VIII) cover topics found in “Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus.”

Course Description
Math: Honors Geometry

VideoText Geometry: A Complete Course is designed to thoroughly cover all aspects of Geometry, as well as Trigonometry and what is generally known as “Pre-Calculus”. As it covers lessons in a conceptual manner, the student will learn topics such as geometric measurement, theorems & postulates, proofs, closed plane curves, constructions, and trigonometric relations, broken down into detailed examinations of each in order to master every individual concept within. This Geometry course warrants the term “Honors” because of a significant treatment of formal logic, a more exhaustive study of proofs and theorems, and the complete study of all Plane Geometric shapes up through circles. In the VideoText Geometry program, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Geometry”. That means material in all of these Modules was included in order to adequately compare VideoText to any other “Geometry” course. However, as the credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry credits. Modules A-E cover “Geometry” and “Pre-Calculus” topics, while Modules E-F cover topics found in “Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus.”

Course Description
Math: Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus

After completing all of VideoText Algebra and Geometry Programs, the student will be entitled to four Algebra credits, two Geometry credits, and two credits for Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus (as these courses combined equal two credits). In VT Geometry, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Geometry”. That means material in all of these Modules was included in order to adequately compare VideoText to any other “Geometry” course. However, as the credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry credits. Modules A-E (Units I-V) cover “Geometry” and “Pre-Calculus” topics, while Modules E-F (Units VI-VIII) cover topics found in “Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus.” The Algebra credits also overlap in the program, as there really is no defining point for breaking up Algebra credits. Modules A-E cover “Algebra 1” topics, while Modules B-F cover topics found in “Algebra 2” and “Pre-Calculus” (Units III, IV, IX, and X). Some concepts typically covered in Pre-Calculus are placed at the end of the Algebra program because this is where they actually belong. This is because Pre-Calculus is normally a “waste-basket” where many Algebra or Geometry topics end up due to lack of time. However, since the VT program is covering these topics where they belong, it is less noticeable as an actual Pre-Calculus “section.” In the VideoText programs, Module F (containing Trigonometry and remaining Pre-Calculus topics) of both the VideoText Geometry and VideoText Algebra programs make up the Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus credit. Therefore, the student receives Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus credit when Coordinate Geometry (Units III, IV, and IX in the VideoText Algebra course), Exponential Logarithmic Functions (Unit X in the VideoText Algebra course), and Trigonometry (Units VI, VII, and VIII in the VideoText Geometry course) are covered.

Edited by Mom21
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mom21 said:

I compiled the following course descriptions from information provided on VT's site and created Course Description pages similar to Lee Binz's approach. With permission from VideoTextInteractive, I've also included an image (linkable in pdf format to the larger online image) of the Course Schematics for Algebra (I & II) and Geometry, as found on their site. On a side note, I've already started setting up my Comprehensive Record and found the Staples 24-page presentation book to be ideal for my young man's ninth grade high school record. I'll probably do this annually, one for each year, and then a final Comprehensive High School Record using the Itoya I-Series Art Portfolio, which has more pages available. If you're interested, I'll pm samples of these Course Description pages to you.

Thank you for the ideas, you seem super organized! :)

2 hours ago, summerreading said:

OK, I get it now. Did you designate the class as advanced or honors?

No, just Algebra I and II and Geometry. I don't designate any of our courses as honors unless we use a college level text or they take an AP exam, mostly because I think the term is pretty meaningless when applied to homeschoolers' transcripts. VT Geometry I think could honestly be considered an honors class because of all the proofs, but Algebra is just a normal Algebra course, IMO.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:20 PM, Mom21 said:

Course Description
Math: Honors Algebra 1

VideoText Algebra: A Complete Course is designed to thoroughly cover all aspects of Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2, as well as Pre-Calculus, laying a firm foundation for students advancing to VideoText Geometry: A Complete Course. As it covers lessons in a conceptual manner, topics such as the structure of mathematics, first-degree (and higher) relations, rational relations, quadratic relations, conic sections, and literal degree relations, are broken down into detailed examinations of each in order to master every individual concept within. This Algebra program certainly contains “Advanced” Algebra, in that it covers all Algebraic concepts that are even in college courses, and certainly is an “Honors” course. In the VideoText Algebra program, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Algebra 1”. That means material in all of these Modules was included in order to adequately compare VideoText to any other “Algebra 1” course. However, as the Algebra credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Algebra credits. Modules A-B cover “Pre-Algebra” topics, while Modules A-E also cover “Algebra 1” topics with Modules B-F covering topics found in “Algebra 2” and “Pre-Calculus.” 

Course Description
Math: Honors Algebra 2

VideoText Algebra: A Complete Course is designed to thoroughly cover all aspects of Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2, as well as Pre-Calculus, laying a firm foundation for students advancing to VideoText Geometry: A Complete Course. As it covers lessons in a conceptual manner, topics such as the structure of mathematics, first-degree (and higher) relations, rational relations, quadratic relations, conic sections, and literal degree relations, are broken down into detailed examinations of each in order to master every individual concept within. This Algebra program certainly contains “Advanced” Algebra, in that it covers all Algebraic concepts that are even in college courses, and certainly is an “Honors” course. In the VideoText Algebra program, Modules B (starting with Unit II), C, D, E, and F constitute what is traditionally called “Algebra 2”. However, as the Algebra credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Algebra credits. Modules A-E cover “Algebra 1” topics, while Modules B-F cover topics found in “Algebra 2” and “Pre-Calculus.” 

Course Description
Math: Honors Geometry

VideoText Geometry: A Complete Course is designed to thoroughly cover all aspects of Geometry, as well as Trigonometry and what is generally known as “Pre-Calculus”. As it covers lessons in a conceptual manner, topics such as geometric measurement, theorems & postulates, proofs, closed plane curves, constructions, and trigonometric relations, are broken down into detailed examinations of each in order to master every individual concept within. This Geometry course warrants the term “Honors” because of a significant treatment of formal logic, a more exhaustive study of proofs and theorems, and the complete study of all Plane Geometric shapes up through circles. In the VideoText Geometry program, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Geometry”. That means material in all of these Modules was included in order to adequately compare VideoText to any other “Geometry” course. However, as the credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry credits. Modules A-E cover “Geometry” and “Pre-Calculus” topics, while Modules E-F cover topics found in “Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus.”

Course Description
Math: Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus

After completing all of the VideoText Algebra and Geometry Programs, the student will be entitled to one Algebra credit, one Geometry credit, and one credit for Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus (as these courses combined equal a single credit). In VT Geometry, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Geometry”. That means material in all of these Modules was included in order to adequately compare VideoText to any other “Geometry” course. However, as the credits overlap in the program, there really is no defining point for breaking up Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry credits. Modules A-E cover “Geometry” and “Pre-Calculus” topics, while Modules E-F cover topics found in “Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus.” The Algebra credits also overlap in the program, as there really is no defining point for breaking up Algebra credits. Modules A-E cover “Algebra 1” topics, while Modules B-F cover topics found in “Algebra 2” and “Pre-Calculus.” Some concepts typically covered in Pre-Calculus are placed at the end of the Algebra program because this is where they actually belong. This is because Pre-Calculus is normally a “waste-basket” where many Algebra or Geometry topics end up due to lack of time. However, since the VT program is covering these topics where they belong, it is less noticeable as an actual Pre-Calculus “section.” Therefore, In the VideoText programs, Module F (containing Trigonometry and remaining Pre-Calculus topics) of both the VideoText Geometry and VideoText Algebra programs make up the Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus credit. 

This first paragraph confuses me a little bit ... what are the presentation portfolios for? Just for your records? Admissions officers at most colleges are going to spend at most 15 minutes on each student's *entire* application, unless they are applying for an art/music performance program or an extremely competitive Ivy League type university. I seriously doubt they are going to look up the scope and sequence for Video Text and try to figure out how it compares to traditional programs. And most applications are online. They are not going to look at a 24 page hard copy portolio from freshman year. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

As for the course descriptions - again, are they for your own records? Or for admissions? The portions I bolded above seem ... a little condescending ... and I imagine an admissions officer would think it off-putting to have a parent telling them what is and is not advanced or college level or honors when they almost certainly consider themselves experts on education. Just tell them what topics the student studied and let that speak for itself.

That doesn't mean we need to make our kids' educations look just like public schooled students' ... but that if we want them to get into college we might need to "package" our nontraditional methods in such a way that it makes it as easy for the admissions officer as possible to compare and make a decision.

Edited by Momto6inIN

5 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

This first paragraph confuses me a little bit ... what are the presentation portfolios for? Just for your records? Admissions officers at most colleges are going to spend at most 15 minutes on each student's *entire* application, unless they are applying for an art/music performance program or an extremely competitive Ivy League type university. I seriously doubt they are going to look up the scope and sequence for Video Text and try to figure out how it compares to traditional programs. And most applications are online. They are not going to look at a 24 page hard copy portolio from freshman year. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

As for the course descriptions - again, are they for your own records? Or for admissions? The portions I bolded above seem ... a little condescending ... and I imagine an admissions officer would think it off-putting to have a parent telling them what is and is not advanced or college level or honors when they almost certainly consider themselves experts on education. Just tell them what topics the student studied and let that speak for itself.

That doesn't mean we need to make our kids' educations look just like public schooled students' ... but that if we want them to get into college we might need to "package" our nontraditional methods in such a way that it makes it as easy for the admissions officer as possible to compare and make a decision.

The yearly presentation portfolios are twofold: for our own records and/or in the case of an emergency—should anything happen to us (parents), God forbid, wherein our young man would need to be enrolled in a high school elsewhere, then we have documentation ready to go. I have a stickable USB Drive pocket inside each portfolio that includes both a printable and a digital file of the entire portfolio. The Comprehensive Record is a final compilation of all high school years and the one that will be used for college admissions, as requested by all the colleges in which he will apply, wherein a formal, private interview and review of those records is standard procedure with homeschool applicants.

I have no qualms with assigning the "Honors" designation to the early high school credits (Algebra I & II courses), nor the Geometry course, as the publisher recommends it, and he certainly earned them. From one place or another, the descriptions were sited from the publisher. I, personally, don't see them as condescending, nor are they meant to be that way, rather, just factual. I realize everyone has their own way of record keeping, this is just mine, open for others to glean or toss. 

I will consider your comments.

Edited by Mom21

7 hours ago, Mom21 said:

The yearly presentation portfolios are twofold: for our own records and/or in the case of an emergency—should anything happen to us (parents), God forbid, wherein our young man would need to be enrolled in a high school elsewhere, then we have documentation ready to go. I have a stickable USB Drive pocket inside each portfolio that includes both a printable and a digital file of the entire portfolio.

Oh, ok, this makes sense to me now.

The Comprehensive Record is a final compilation of all high school years and the one that will be used for college admissions, as requested by all the colleges in which he will apply, wherein a formal, private interview and review of those records is standard procedure with homeschool applicants.

Interesting. This is definitely not how they do homeschool admissions around here! They ask them to apply online the same way as all other applicants. Do you mind me asking what schools require this?

I have no qualms with assigning the "Honors" designation to the early high school credits (Algebra I & II courses), nor the Geometry course, as the publisher recommends it, and he certainly earned them. From one place or another, the descriptions were sited from the publisher. I, personally, don't see them as condescending, nor are they meant to be that way, rather, just factual. I realize everyone has their own way of record keeping, this is just mine, open for others to glean or toss. 

I will consider your comments.

@summerreading and @Mom21 I realize my comments sound snippy and condescending. That wasn't my intent, so please forgive me!

I just think that course descriptions provided by a curriculum provider exist to sell a particular product to us, as homeschool parents who have already chosen a somewhat off the beaten path education for our kids. So they are tailored for that purpose. And that's a very different purpose than the course descriptions that we provide to colleges in our order to "sell" our student to someone who likely is pretty firmly entrenched in traditional education. So our descriptions should be tailored for our particular purpose as well. Please feel free to disregard my opinions 🙂

5 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

@summerreading and @Mom21 I realize my comments sound snippy and condescending. That wasn't my intent, so please forgive me!

I just think that course descriptions provided by a curriculum provider exist to sell a particular product to us, as homeschool parents who have already chosen a somewhat off the beaten path education for our kids. So they are tailored for that purpose. And that's a very different purpose than the course descriptions that we provide to colleges in our order to "sell" our student to someone who likely is pretty firmly entrenched in traditional education. So our descriptions should be tailored for our particular purpose as well. Please feel free to disregard my opinions 🙂

I'm new to getting my records in order and I appreciate your feedback. I totally get what you are saying and see the difference in your description verses the website description.  Thank you!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mom21 said:

The Comprehensive Record is a final compilation of all high school years and the one that will be used for college admissions, as requested by all the colleges in which he will apply, wherein a formal, private interview and review of those records is standard procedure with homeschool applicants.

I have been following along and am curious about this as well. Which schools? Mainly curious in case my rising senior has/puts any of them on his list.

My current college junior was never asked to supply these for interviews. For the most part, those interviews were with alums of the schools who would have no idea about these things. He ended up at a school that does not interview any applicants, nor has any additional requirements for homeschoolers.

My rising senior has one interview next week, and the school specifically says not to bring anything -- this is with the admissions office not an alum. There is an extensive questionnaire all interviewees, not just homeschoolers, fill out when they sign up and that is what is used. This is a T50 school. A second school requires a phone interview for homeschoolers once the Common App is filed. They use what is provided in it for their info. Right now no other schools on his list require/recommend interviews for any applicants.

2 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Yes, you’ve made your opinion clear.

As for this particular subject and curriculum used, when the course description page is seen as a whole, which includes the course schematic chart that takes up one-third of the page and is clearly seen (regardless of being linked to the larger format of the chart in the digital format), as well as the method of grading chart (as seen in this sample), I believe that it speaks perfectly well for the student and our particular purpose. It’s just another way to “sell” the student, hence why it was offered.

31 minutes ago, mom1720 said:

I have been following along and am curious about this as well. Which schools? Mainly curious in case my rising senior has/puts any of them on his list.

My current college junior was never asked to supply these for interviews. For the most part, those interviews were with alums of the schools who would have no idea about these things. He ended up at a school that does not interview any applicants, nor has any additional requirements for homeschoolers.

My rising senior has one interview next week, and the school specifically says not to bring anything -- this is with the admissions office not an alum. There is an extensive questionnaire all interviewees, not just homeschoolers, fill out when they sign up and that is what is used. This is a T50 school. A second school requires a phone interview for homeschoolers once the Common App is filed. They use what is provided in it for their info. Right now no other schools on his list require/recommend interviews for any applicants.

Perhaps I misspoke. The private interview is a standard, required procedure with homeschoolers for two colleges in particular, both a state university (not exactly friendly to homeschoolers) and a private university (welcoming to homeschoolers, but with high standards for everyone). Some form of Comprehensive Record or documentation/proof is required for homeschoolers at both colleges seeking scholarships and would have already been sent and reviewed prior to the meeting, but with the possibility of being discussed therein. I will be sending hard copies of our Comprehensive Record to any and all colleges in which he applies, in addition to whatever other forms are filed—the Common App and such.

19 hours ago, summerreading said:

OK, I get it now. Did you designate the class as advanced or honors?

I spoke with Tom Clark, the author of the program, for over an hour last month.  He was at a homeschool convention my boys and I attended.  After my conversation with him, I will be designating Alg. 1, Alg. 2, Geometry, and Trig/Pre-Calculus as Honors.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...