Menu

What's with the ads?

Seasider too

Stranger Things Season 3....whaddaya think? (SPOILERS INSIDE!!!!)

IMO it was off to a slow start, but I thought the ending was great. Very touching. 

It seems there was a real focus on relationship development this season. When I first heard there would only be 8 episodes, I was disappointed, but after seeing it through, that number was just right. 

Russian invasions in the 80’s, what a great plot point! 

Two expressions that were spoken jumped out at me as out of place for the 80’s. The first was when Max said Ralph Macchio was “hot.”  In 1983, I think it was more like “he’s a fox,” don’t you think? Trying to remember the other one now, I think it was something Lucas said around episode 6.

I used to own a dress exactly like the one Karen Wheeler was wearing on the Ferris wheel, I loved that dress! My dd wants Max’s wardrobe. And I thought Nancy looked so cute, seriously, I must confess I am slightly nostalgic for 80’s hair. I don’t want the fuss of hair spray and hot rollers, but remember how it felt on a good hair day? My hair has gotten thinner as I’ve aged and if big hair was still in style, I’d feel the fluffing and bit of teasing I do now would be because of fashion and not because it’s necessary to camouflage the thin spots.  😆

Suzi is adorable and if there’s a season 4, I hope we see more of her. We here loved the Neverending Story theme. Lucas’ little sister was hilarious. Annoying at first, but I love that she’s a covert nerd. 

I’m glad they gave Billy a better backstory, it made him more likeable in hindsight.

Did you nerds get Dustin’s reference to Weathertop?

Two burning questions...

Who is “the American” in the cell next to the one that was opened at the end? Could it be Hopper?

Do you think there will be a season 4? Seems like they left a possibility for it, but IMO the story was wrapped up quite well. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 2

Of course the American is Hopper or they would've shown us their face.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

It maybe the Duffer Brothers haven’t even decided who it is yet!

I’ve seen a couple of different possibilities mentioned online, but like you, feel pretty sure it would be Hopper.   

True, maybe they just decided to leave it hanging while they work out who, exactly, they've got locked up. Oooh, maybe it's Joyce's last boyfriend!

We watched the first episode last night and my daughter is wondering if she wants to go on. She was happy with the ending of season 2 and is worried that this season will have a sad ending or a cliffhanger.  Can anyone comment?  PM is welcome though I know the thread title warns of spoilers.  From the comments about an American in a cell at the end, sounds like a cliffhanger to me.  

I don't mind reading spoilers even though I haven't seen the whole thing yet. I often read the end of a novel when the suspense gets to be too much, so I can enjoy the story.  So, as far as I'm concerned, spoilers are great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

True, maybe they just decided to leave it hanging while they work out who, exactly, they've got locked up. Oooh, maybe it's Joyce's last boyfriend!

BOB NEWBY!!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marbel said:

We watched the first episode last night and my daughter is wondering if she wants to go on. She was happy with the ending of season 2 and is worried that this season will have a sad ending or a cliffhanger.  Can anyone comment?  PM is welcome though I know the thread title warns of spoilers.  From the comments about an American in a cell at the end, sounds like a cliffhanger to me.  

I don't mind reading spoilers even though I haven't seen the whole thing yet. I often read the end of a novel when the suspense gets to be too much, so I can enjoy the story.  So, as far as I'm concerned, spoilers are great.

The first two episodes are slow, don’t decide to quit til after episode 4. In hindsight, I like season 3 better than 2. 

The ending is both emotional and a bit of a cliffhanger. I think it would be a fitting wrap up to the story, but the after credits scene leaves the door open for more. Personally I think trying to squeeze these characters for more story would be mean. But maybe some fresh faces can start a fresh battle with the upside down, with some cameos by the original crew. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

BOB NEWBY!!! 

Eh, I think the demodogs pretty well devoured Bob. I hope it’s Hopper.

Chatter is that there is a season 4 (but no more), but the last episode really felt like a series finale.

Any theories as to why El has lost her powers?

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Eh, I think the demodogs pretty well devoured Bob. I hope it’s Hopper.

Chatter is that there is a season 4 (but no more), but the last episode really felt like a series finale.

Any theories as to why El has lost her powers?

I was wondering about this last night. Puberty? PTSD? 

And hey I forgot about the other numbered kids. Maybe they’ll show up again in season 4. 

She got bit by that gross melted body monster and then burned herself out trying to kill it. That's probably about it.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it more than season 2.  I would be happy with a 4th season but if they end it now I'd be happy with that as well.  

I watched the entire series with my kids on the 4th.  We all liked it better than season 2, but still like season 1 the best.  I was surprised that  8 wasn't brought into the story line in season 3.  Maybe she will make an appearance in season 4?  I hope Hopper is in the cell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alewife said:

I watched the entire series with my kids on the 4th.  We all liked it better than season 2, but still like season 1 the best.  I was surprised that  8 wasn't brought into the story line in season 3.  Maybe she will make an appearance in season 4?  I hope Hopper is in the cell.

I hope they keep 8 and any other ones out of the show.  I think that whole story line was the downfall of season 2 for me.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I hope they keep 8 and any other ones out of the show.  I think that whole story line was the downfall of season 2 for me.  

My kids all agree with you.  I don't get the point of introducing 8 at all if she is never going to make an appearance again.

I loved it, all the episodes, it was near perfection for me, all except Hopper dying (not happy about Alexei either but of course he was so new it was forgiven). I thought this was the last season though with them having that little scene at the end I think they need another season wherein we get Hopper back from the Russian prison because I can't imagine anyone else in a Russian prison that we would care about. 

I loved how they rolled the new characters right in and kept the old ones too. Bringing Murray back and Lucas' sister was genius. I love the 80s nostalgia and having the Russians be the bad guys is just the icing on the cake. 

• Like 3

We're only 2 episodes in so I'm not reading the other posts/spoilers yet, but we're enjoying it so far. Dh isn't a binge watcher so we watch one show, then something else, and save the next episode of each show for another night. If I was watching it alone or with ds (he's  actually already done with this season) I'd be finished by now. 😄 

1 hour ago, alewife said:

My kids all agree with you.  I don't get the point of introducing 8 at all if she is never going to make an appearance again.

My hope is that they were intending to have 8 and possibly other ones be more of a part of the show but the negative feedback from viewers changed their plans.

• Like 1

The Duffer Brothers said in last years Netflix aftershow that there would be 4 or 5 seasons. They didn't want it to go on forever. 

I enjoyed it much more than last season. I really liked Robin and thought she added a lot to the group. I had no idea she was Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter, but I can see it now. And Lucas' sister is always a scene-stealer.

Since everyone is split up and going their separate ways, I think 11 will have to sense Hopper in Russia which means she gets her powers back. Or he somehow escapes. I suppose "The American" could be 8 or another one with powers that could be forced to help Russians. I can't wait to find out!

Edited by Plum
  • Like 2

I cried so hard when Joyce was hugging Will and "tells" El with her eyes that Hopper didn't make it.  Powerful scene.

• Like 3

So I had asked about a happy ending for my daughter.  She is not going to find it a happy ending if Hopper is dead or imprisoned!  I can't imagine feeling like the show ended well if Hopper is not OK!

• Like 2

I have four episodes to go so I skipped all the posts, I just want to know why they dress the boys in nerdy shorts that are waaaaay to short for them?   Nobody is that nerdy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

I have four episodes to go so I skipped all the posts, I just want to know why they dress the boys in nerdy shorts that are waaaaay to short for them?   Nobody is that nerdy.

I've got plenty of pictures of my older brothers from the 80's that says otherwise.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I've got plenty of pictures of my older brothers from the 80's that says otherwise.  

I was going to post the exact same thing!  Even the NBA players looked nerdy back then.  (I would post a picture, but not sure if that is permitted.). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

2 minutes ago, alewife said:

I was going to post the exact same thing!  Even the NBA players looked nerdy back then.  (I would post a picture, but not sure if that is permitted.). 

I'm sorry, I really need proof.

• Haha 2

Well.....at least they have the excuse of being athletes.  You know?  Freedom of movement?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

So I had asked about a happy ending for my daughter.  She is not going to find it a happy ending if Hopper is dead or imprisoned!  I can't imagine feeling like the show ended well if Hopper is not OK!

Hopper behaved so inappropriately controlling - and the show didn't address that appropriately at all - that I was "meh" at his loss.

• Like 2

I just caught a Wired Q&A video with Winona Ryder and David Harbour. Check out his beard. Could it be a clue???? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Plum said:

I just caught a Wired Q&A video with Winona Ryder and David Harbour. Check out his beard. Could it be a clue???? 

Hipster Hopper!

21 hours ago, MaBelle said:

I loved Will's cut offs. That's exactly what we did back then. Jeans too short? Cut them off and wear them as shorts. I used to have a pair of Hee Haw overalls that my mother hated and couldn't wait for me to outgrow for me to only cut them off and then wear them as shorts. She was one seriously unhappy mama. I suspect she finally threw them away.

• Like 2

We binged since my daughter is leaving for awhile.  It was okay, my least favorite season.  I can see why some people enjoyed it, a bit lighter and not as intense, but it was slow and a lot more teen drama than I expected.  But oh well.  I like the characters so will watch another season, but it really seems like it should end after 4 seasons.  And I can't imagine the next season without Hopper!

We finally finished today, having watched it one episode per day.  I liked it so much better than season 2. There were still plot holes, like sometimes it took forever for the Mind Flayer to get from place to place, and why was Billy sitting in the mall parking lot revving his engine all that time? -- but I'm willing to forgive because the overall story was decent.

Coincidentally, dh and I had watched Red Dawn a couple of weeks ago.  So much of this season arc seemed lifted from that, including the helicopters at the end.  Also, as an aside, I'd forgotten that Red Dawn is such a crappy movie, although it's so much fun to see the main kid characters before they all hit it big in other movies -- anyway, don't go watch it unless you feel really really compelled.

And, yes, the boys' outfits in Stranger Things 3 were on point.  I went to high school in small town Indiana during that period, had clothing very similar to Nancy's wardrobe myself, heck, one of my high school bffs has cleidocranial dysplasia in her family -- it's always been so wild to watch this and reminisce.

We're at the point of analyzing accents over here (dd attends college in small town Indiana, and had voice classes for acting last semester, so in total nitpick mode about this).

• Like 1

We finished watching a couple of nights ago. It seemed like a series wrap up to me.

The mall where the mall scenes were filmed is a real, 1980’s mall. In fact, my first job outside of our family business was there! It really looks much the same, structurally. My keys are at the bottom of a freight elevator shaft in there! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Man, I bet the kids would've found it really helpful if they'd gotten your keys. Probably could've gotten out of there a lot faster 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I finally found a pic to show my dd that I had a similar pink and black striped blouse Nancy wore. It turned out to be long sleeve but the same pattern. Haha

Edited by Plum
  • Like 8

On 7/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, Plum said:

I finally found a pic to show my dd that I had a similar pink and black striped blouse Nancy wore. It turned out to be long sleeve but the same pattern. Haha

I did too! Her clothes and hair were on point, if a little dressier than one would see in small town Indiana (I grew up in a small town in Illinois).

• Like 3

On 7/6/2019 at 4:14 AM, Tanaqui said:

Oh I sure hope so.  That's what I said too.  He is my favorite character and I'm hoping that's the double meaning of the repeated "leave the door open 3 inches" and the last view of the creak opening. And I adore the love between Hopper and Joyce.

• Like 2

I love that Billy was given a chance at redemption.  His character was always complicated but for whatever his faults, he did always seem to love his sister and protect her in his own brutal way.  

• Like 3

On 7/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, Tanaqui said:

Hopper behaved so inappropriately controlling - and the show didn't address that appropriately at all - that I was "meh" at his loss.

This bugged me too. I wasn't bothered that he did that per se  - it seemed in keeping with the times and the character. But I wanted there to be a reckoning about how wrong it was narratively, because the show is being made now, not in 1985. The ending with the things he was "supposed" to say didn't quite satisfy that for me.

I will say that it felt to me like the Duffers got the memo that creating strong female characters and then keeping them apart is not cool. The interactions with El and Max were great. Robin and Erica had some funny bits.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, Tanaqui said:

I don't think Hopper was inappropriately controlling, but I do think the show addressed his angst well.  He is a father who has already lost everything once.  He is a father who has a daughter that he has nearly lost several times and who the world would easily treat like an animal if she doesn't play her cards right.  He wants to protect them above all else.  He lives in daily fear, not unreasonably, of failing to do so.  I think poor boyfriend just caught the brunt of that.  Poor kid. Lol  Buy Hopper knows he needs help dealing with it.  He talks to Joyce.  And we see that eventually he does get a grip.  He just never got a chance to say those written words.

Though really a 3 inch open door rule and asking to have some minimum respect in house isn't terribly controlling in my opinion either. LOL  

• Like 7

Some of the over the top looks really took me back to my own 1985. I had a yellow and black oversized blouse that was so similar to that one El wears. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

I don't think Hopper was inappropriately controlling, but I do think the show addressed his angst well.  He is a father who has already lost everything once.  He is a father who has a daughter that he has nearly lost several times and who the world would easily treat like an animal if she doesn't play her cards right.  He wants to protect them above all else.  He lives in daily fear, not unreasonably, of failing to do so.  I think poor boyfriend just caught the brunt of that.  Poor kid. Lol  Buy Hopper knows he needs help dealing with it.  He talks to Joyce.  And we see that eventually he does get a grip.  He just never got a chance to say those written words.

Though really a 3 inch open door rule and asking to have some minimum respect in house isn't terribly controlling in my opinion either. LOL  

But he lied to her and physically threatened her best friend/boyfriend. Not okay in any way. Totally okay to set boundaries for your kid. Not okay to decide who she has feelings for and use your position of power and your age to threaten to hurt someone. I know these sorts of "don't touch my daughter!" things are played for jokes, but they're not funny or appropriate. They're about controlling women and girls and about the idea that men get to decide who we associate with and what's okay for us.

Now, I'm willing to forgive Hopper for some of the reasons you state and because he's a product of his times and circumstances, etc. But as a TV show, I would have liked there to be some sort of clear messaging that his actions weren't okay. And there never really was. I think you can read into it that we're not supposed to think he's right - clearly Joyce is wiser and Hopper bumbles his way through it all - but it's just not a funny joke. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 8:06 PM, alewife said:

I was looking at old photos with my kids the other day, and they were all shocked by the shorts my father and his brothers were wearing - mostly cutoffs.  

Anyway, I am not at the end yet, but am enjoying it a lot more than season 2.  I agree 8 and the other kids didn't work, and I was finding Elle pretty annoying as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

But he lied to her and physically threatened her best friend/boyfriend. Not okay in any way. Totally okay to set boundaries for your kid. Not okay to decide who she has feelings for and use your position of power and your age to threaten to hurt someone. I know these sorts of "don't touch my daughter!" things are played for jokes, but they're not funny or appropriate. They're about controlling women and girls and about the idea that men get to decide who we associate with and what's okay for us.

Now, I'm willing to forgive Hopper for some of the reasons you state and because he's a product of his times and circumstances, etc. But as a TV show, I would have liked there to be some sort of clear messaging that his actions weren't okay. And there never really was. I think you can read into it that we're not supposed to think he's right - clearly Joyce is wiser and Hopper bumbles his way through it all - but it's just not a funny joke. 

I completely disagree.  It did cover that with Joyce's perspective in the situation and also his final letter.

But I think men do need to set the bar for other men too.  I do not think it is a social negative for men to let the next generation of men know that if they cross certain lines with women, other men will physically remind them that is not okay to do.

Now I'll agree that kissing a gal that wants to be kissed is not that line.  But men having a generational standard that women deserve to be treated with respect and that sex is not just for hooking up but comes with an expectation to be a man of integrity if engaging in the sexual acts of a man? Yeah.  I'm okay with men letting other young men know what standard is expected around the family women.

• Like 7

But I wanted there to be a reckoning about how wrong it was narratively, because the show is being made now, not in 1985.

I positively hate it when shows and books do this.  I'd consider it to ruin an otherwise good bit of writing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bluegoat said:

I positively hate it when shows and books do this.  I'd consider it to ruin an otherwise good bit of writing.

Right.  Less projecting, more authenticity is appreciated and usually makes for better reading and viewing. 

• Like 4