Menu

Healthy Menu Planning Challenge - July

Faithr

Hello everyone!  I graduated my last homeschooler last month!  21 years gone in a flash!  The thing is I miss the camaraderie of this board.  Facebook is ok except my kids follow me and so I can't complain about them there.  LOL.  

Anyway, for the last two years we've been spiraling through lots of diet issues.  My dd was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and then mold poisoning.  She's been on this really strict diet.  I went on it with her and discovered that being gluten free meant my arthritis went into remission.  (I also lost 15 pounds and just have a sense of well being I haven't experienced for a while. So it's been painful but actually good for me.)  I think we are basically keto at this point?  No sugar, no refined carbs, no gluten, no soy, no nuts (dd developed an allergy after switching to almond milk) no cow dairy (we've discovered goat and sheep seem fine),  Added to this my dh just found out he is pre-diabetic.  He refused to go along with her diet but now he sort of has to.  I am so burned out!  I need help.  We are on vacation at the beach this week and have been cheating like crazy, but once I get home I need to tighten up.  I need to get into the zone where I can really get creative and focused on making meals from scratch and cooking lots of healthy, tasty meals.  Luckily it is the high season for fresh veggies from the farmers market.  And we actually started a big garden in our yard this year which I am loving so much.  I think gardening might become my thing to fill the no homeschooling hole in my heart.  But I just get stymied when it comes to menu planning.  It just taxes my little ole A.D.D. brain too much.  So I thought it might be a shot in the arm if I had people joining me on this project.  Anyone interested in focusing on healthy menu planning for the rest of July????  Please join me!  I'll post every day (starting Monday - July 8th) and just say what I'm doing food-wise that day and anyone else who wants to join in can post as well.  Anyone game?

Ok.  I was out on the beach but it's gotten super windy.  Came back to read on my kindle but it needs charging, so I thought I'd get back on here.  We are on our last day at our vacation rental. We've been trying to eat up leftovers all day.  We might supplement with some gf pizza tonight as well as trying to consume more leftovers.  Then the big clean up will begin and I"ll have to decide what gets thrown out and what I'll haul back home in coolers.  Tomorrow I'll be up at the crack of dawn for the long drive home.  I doubt I'll be able to do any serious grocery shopping before Monday.  

For anyone who is interested in one healthy eating guide,  this is the one my dd's nutritionist uses: http://centerforfunctionalmedicine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CoreFoodPlan-ComprehensiveGuide_v3.pdf   This is modified for my dd because she can't do soy or nuts.  But I have found it to be really helpful.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the Salsa Chicken soup can you use a stick blender to blend the tomato chunks away?

A favorite here is Black bean tacos:

1 can corn (or 2 cups fresh) drained

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained,

1 can diced tomatoes, drained

1 packet taco seasoning mix (check for your allergens or make your own)

Stir together, heat, and serve on corn tortillas.  I add rice, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, etc. as options to put on it as well but even alone it is super simple and yummy.

• Like 1

I'll play! We are gf and "mostly plants" (and DS can't tolerate food coloring), and I'm generally running out of steam by the time I need to be cooking dinner so I sometimes don't do what I planned, and DS is getting braces next week. I've got a decent menu on the calendar, and I need to stick to it.

Monday - Make ice cream. Salade nicoise for dinner--I'm going to use canned cannellini beans instead of tuna. And cooked apples. I should go to the store while DS is at scouts.

Tuesday - Make jello for DS and DH, maybe first thing in the morning. Rice, black bean soup, smoothies.

Wednesday - Scrambled eggs and steamed carrots.

Thursday - Cauliflower pizza casserole and brown rice pasta.

Friday - Smoked apple veggie burgers (probably no bun, just tomatoes, etc.), smoothies.

Saturday - Stuffed tomatoes (I use mushrooms and spinach) with quinoa on the side.

Sunday - Pancakes (from a gf mix) and fruit.

• Like 1

I'm in.  Our goal this month is to up our plants and eat whole foods.

Today:
Breakfast - over-hard egg with leftover veggie kabobs from last night (zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, mushrooms with a garlic butter sauce)
Lunch - sandwiches, watermelon, cherries.
Dinner: dh made a raspberry chipotle reduction and most of that went on grilled chicken.  With it: corn on the cob, watermelon, baked beans, potato salad, and a green salad (spring mix, tomato, red wine marinated shallots, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, bleu cheese crumbles)  I doctored some of the reduction and turned it into a light salad dressing.

Tomorrow:
Breakfast - oatmeal & yogurt
Lunch - not applicable, we're eating at a food truck event
Dinner - pork chops, green apples, and either a barley mixture with carrots & cucumber or rice, plus a green salad on the side.

Sunday:  I don't know yet.  If it's cool enough I'll make a shakshuka, if not I'll find a meal I can serve cold.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Talk to me about shakshuka please.  I have heard of it.  I want to want to try it (not a typo)   But the idea of eggs poached in what seems to be basically salsa?  Almost?  I just....it doesn't seem like it would work.   Now, I don't like breakfast burritos with salsa or any omelette with tomatoes anyway, so maybe that's why?  I love toms, but.....I guess eggs and toms seem too different to me?

Anyway, is it really like eggs poached in salsa?  Or is it more than that?  Is there anything a bit more hearty than that that goes with it like...........naan or potatoes or something?

It's more like poached eggs in chili. 🙂  Ours is pretty spicy and full of garbanzo beans or potato cubes.  On the side I'd do a kind of cold cucumber yogurt dish and for those who want it: na'an.  My kids don't like it if the eggs are too runny so they end up being pretty cooked by the time we're done.

I want to follow.  We aren't really on any specific diet, although I would love to start looking at a better diet for us.  Two of the family (DH and oldest) are naturally thin.  My other two boys can have the tendency to gain weight, but are quite thin right now.  I am the only one who really struggles right now.  I am trying to find something that works!

We tend to eat a protein, a carb, and a veggie every dinner.  (Salmon, rice, and broccoli or chicken, potatoes, and a salad or whatever) as it is easier, and it keeps the high fat content down.  Although on some nights I throw in a pizza and am done.  

I would actually like to get some freezer meals going.  I am not great with those.

I’m in.  I need some motivation with all our restrictions - Celiac (DH), wheat/sesame allergies (me), IBS/reflux (also me), and a picky-ish kid.  DH is injured and needs to be smarter about what he’s eating while not exercising.  And I’m waiting on test results that could possibly mean a low-fiber diet for me for a while.  Ugh.

Heading to the farmer’s market and store.  We’ll see what I come up with for the weekend.

• Like 2

I went grocery shopping this morning, so I'm in. We don't follow any particular diet since I have a kid whose food likes are shrinking rapidly. So we end up doing a mix of processed (for her and ease), weight watchers unofficially (for me), and meat for DH. 

I currently have a book out of the library called Instant Loss https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Loss-Cookbook-Healthy-Pressure-ebook/dp/B07B78PQJ3, so we'll try some recipes out of there. 

Instant Loss Cookbook: 

Zoodles with Pesto

Garlic Cauliflower Soup

Turkey Bacon Wrap

Also planning on some weight watchers mini meatloaves: http://skinnypoints.com/2015/12/26/meatloaf-muffins-with-barbecue-sauce/  DH has requested tacos as well.

I do have some scallops and tilapia in the freezer which may make it onto the menu plan. Today they had chicken thighs on half off sale, so I picked up some of those, but those probably won't hit the menu for a while. 

I'm planning on using up our blueberries from last week with some muffins. Not the healthiest probably. https://www.self.com/recipe/blythes-blueberry-muffins

I'll be making up what I call "egg cups" for breakfast today. I've been eating cereal the past couple of days since running out, and I'm usually ready to gnaw on my own arm around 9 am.  https://emilybites.com/2011/10/sausage-egg-cheese-hash-brown-cups.html DH requested some breakfast burritos as well so hopefully I can get to those today or tomorrow.

Today was/is: 

Cereal     ??? for me (it's time I figure it out I guess)/Mac n Cheese for kids      Taco Salad for me/Tacos for everyone else

• Like 1

I'm back from the beach. Left at 6:30 a.m. just got in about 30 minutes ago.  Whew.  

But I brought back a lot of fresh salad makings.  I think for tonight's dinner I will cook up some little steaks we got from our CSA, slice them up and make a big meat salad for dinner.  That will be nice after all the junk we've been consuming all week.

Tomorrow morning will be eggs, sausage and fruit salad

Not sure about snack/lunch (usually on Sundays we eat a brunch after church and then eat an early dinner so I just need a substantial snack to get people through).

Dh is going to rotisserie a chicken on the grill for dinner.  I might make sweet potato fries and more salad (we'e got a lot to eat through).  I should be able to hold out and do an actual grocery shopping on Monday.

Menu change!
We opted not for the food truck today.  Traffic was a beast.  Instead: roast beef, fresh horseradish, and veggies on ciabatta bread sandwiches.
Dinner: grilled pork chops, pearled  couscous with lemon, dukkah, and sauteed onions & carrots.  All topped with diced cold quick cucumber pickle (tarragon, honey, white wine vinegar, salt & pepper).  It was fresh and light and not too heavy.  I had made a peach crisp because I had plans later, but rain pushed them off to tomorrow.  So that is dessert. 🙂

Tomorrow:
Breakfast: burritos
Lunch: leftovers
Dinner: Two of us are going to a potluck, two are fending for themselves.  I'm bringing caprese skewers and......I haven't decided.  Maybe an apple dish.

The good news is that I found a way to make yellow squash that we like--we got some in a veggie box today and ate more than we ever have at once before. (I've never liked it.) The bad news is that the flavoring that made this work was bacon. Not a ton, but... this is not going to be a regular thing.

Anybody have a non-spicy squash disguise that doesn't include meat, dairy or gluten?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

I can't speak for dairy or gluten.  But the only way I get my kids to eat squash is if I shred it and put it in muffins, pancakes or bread.  If you have any gluten/dairy free muffin, or bread recipes, you can shred the squash and just toss it in.  It's so mild in flavor that it takes a lot to make it noticible.

In terms of a non disguised way...DH and I like this

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/garlic-oregano-zucchini/

It works with summer squash and zukes..........which mostly taste the same.  

We've done the garlic-oregano-tomato route, which is fine for zucchini but still lets yellow squash taste too much like itself for me. I do have a good zucchini muffin recipe in which i could try YS instead. Thanks for the idea. (When I was able to cook with wheat, I used to make this as muffins--truly amazing.)

My kids are all older now, but back when they were younger and pickier one way they would eat zucchini or yellow squash would be if we brushed with garlicky olive oil and grilled in a chicken kabob or if we chopped it up and roasted it in the oven, again with olive oil and garlic and tossed with other veggies like red pepper, onions, tomatoes,mushrooms etc.  There's something about grilling or roasting that made it more palatable, whereas just steaming or sauteing turned them off it.

I will say that after we saw that movie Ratatouille, my oldest dd took to making the dish and to this day that is one of her favorite vegetable dishes to make.  And I still have a 24 year old son that won't touch summer squash (though he is ok with the winter variety).  

I'm laughing a little because I really think putting this stuff in muffins isn't really healthy to my mind.  Is it?  That just seems to go to desperate lengths when I don't even think the vegetable is all that nutritious to begin with.  

This past week at the beach, my sister in law made zoodles out of zucchini and pesto sauce.  It was delicious. BUT it did have dairy in it.  I think there might be a vegan pesto recipe out there though.  I'm going to look into that.  Maybe I'll ask for one of the zoodle machines for Christmas.

I just want to report back on the delicious steak salad we had for dinner tonight.  One thing we are doing according to the health guide my dd's nutritionist's uses is to buy grass fed meat directly from a local farm.  However, this is very expensive so I'm always dealing with the issue of making a little meat go a long way.  Also if you buy directly from a farm, you get the weirdest cuts of meat, not like typical cuts from the grocery store.  So I had 4 very small steaks in the freezer.  How to make these stretch to feed 7 people? 

]To prep steaks:

I quick sauted the steaks up in onions, garlic and olive oil and salt so they were still a bit rare on the inside. Then I let them cool a bit and sliced them thinly.

For the salad:

I had a big head of romaine lettuce and another big head of red leaf lettuce.  I washed these and broke into bite size pieces, then I seeded and chopped a tomato (I have to cut it up small so my tomato avoiding husband doesn't realize tomatoes are in the salad!), Did the same thing with a red pepper, sliced up a cucumber, shredded a big carrot, chopped up two pretty big green onions, added in some sunflower and pumpkin seeds.  I also had a tiny bit of raw goat cheddar cheese (my dd can't do cow dairy but can do goat or sheep dairy), so I grated that up and added it in.

For the salad dressing:

3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tbsp of ACV, some kosher salt, a dollop of dijon mustard and one garlic clove pressed and chopped finely and all whisked together to emulsify.

Mixed all this together and it was insanely delicious!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

We had Thai for lunch - green curry with tofu, eggplant, green beans, peas, basil, and lime leaves. It was so good...

Oh, do you have a recipe for this? It sounds so delicious.

Like Selkie, I eat whole-foods, plant-based. (For my cholesterol, I try to go no/low added oils & low natural fats like nuts & avocados. Wah for the reduction in nuts & avocados!) I would like to participate in this thread but may follow more than I post. I'm pretty abysmal at meal planning so I really just try to buy a variety of things I can prep & have ready for throwing together for various things over the following days. Plus, this month is busy for me, so I may do better at meal planning as the month is closing & as we move into August.

For example, today I had:

2 slices of Dave's grain & seed bread, each with 1/4 of an avocado smashed on it (hadn't had one in quite awhile so I felt ok having half an avocado today), lemon wedge drizzled over, then topped with copious amounts of purple onion, diced radishes, cilantro, & cracked pepper. (Ds had 2 slices of the bread, each with 1/4 of an avocado smashed on it & each topped with an over easy egg & cracked pepper.)

Big bowl (probably 2 cups) of homemade lentil soup (no oils in it).

About 40 purple grapes, a banana, & an apple.

Large salad -- mix of kale & romaine, strawberries, oranges, cauliflower, cucumber, radishes, red pepper, carrots, purple onion, white onion, hemp seeds, pepitas, flaxseeds, & 2 tsp fig vinegar (not vinaigrette).

100% whole wheat tortilla topped with black beans, diced white onions, a whole tomato, & lots of cilantro.

Have had water, coffee (w/ plant milk added), & hot tea (plain) today.

Still have enough salad stuff prepped to last for a couple more meals. I also cooked a sweet potato & two baking potatoes yesterday, so those are ready in the fridge to heat up for an easy meal. I tend to top them with beans & veggies I have on hand. I also still have a few servings of the homemade lentil soup in the fridge. Plus, fruit, veggies, hummus, & seed or whole wheat crackers for snacking. Ds has some bbq chicken thighs (shredded) leftover from yesterday's dinner, so that will be one more meal for him. We also have eggs on hand (for ds), pasta & sauce available (plus veggies to add which are in the freezer), various cereal fixings, corn & whole wheat wraps, cans of no-salt-added beans (always a staple in the pantry), etc. I need to go prep myself a few days' worth of overnight oats....

I try to vary my salad stuff a little each week & try to remind myself to pick up a rainbow of colors to add to my salad.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

@Faithr That is very similar to one of my favorite salads!  Occasionally dh will make a chimichurri sauce that I'll use as a salad dressing for it, too.  Oldest ds isn't quite a fan, but if I make it like you do and add roasted beets he'll eat everything, mostly because he likes the beets. 😄

I came up with a better potluck dish: bulgur wheat with cucumber, tomatoes, onions, and a lime/green onion vinaigrette. I have about an hour to travel and this can be served room temp.  Plus it's vegetarian, which the host tends to lean towards.  And it means I don't have to go to the store again, lol.  That's always a bonus on weekends here.  I'm thinking for the kids I'll also bring a plate of lemon squares.  I can put those in my cold bag with an ice pack until we get there. 

• Like 1

I've been on a big meal-planning kick.  I've learned that meal planning is the most important thing to keep me eating right.  I did a great job for a long time, I used to shop every Saturday when my kids went to a Sat. program that was near the grocery stores I shopped at, and I'd plan the week, then shop.  Then they got older, and pickier, and they stopped going to that Sat. program, and it all went to heck and I gained 30 lbs.

But, like the OP, now mine have flown and I decided it was time to get back with the program.  I started in January and have lost the 30 lbs. that wouldn't come off (even with exercise).  Now I want to make sure I have a bunch of things that I like to eat and are easy to prepare and fit with my food guidelines (thank heavens dh likes anything I feed him) so that this really becomes a permanent lifestyle change.  I'm not cutting out any food group entirely, but I'm trying to keep sugars, simple carbs (esp. white flour and white potatoes), and bad fats to a minimum.  I tend not to make meat-centric dishes, so a lot of what I make could easily be reworked as vegetarian.  I also use lot of 'alternative' things just because I like them and I like to vary my diet.  For example while I love chocolate, I also like carob - it tastes good as itself if you don't think of it as trying to be chocolate.  I love legumes, so they're in a lot of what I make.

On the planning front, I am putting together my own recipe book.  I have a Word doc file I've thrown random recipes in for years, but a lot of them didn't end up being things I wanted to make again, or never even tried.  So I'm printing the keepers, and adding other favorites from other recipe books, cards, etc. and even things in my head that I make all the time, and making a master recipe book - I'm using a Staples ARC binder so I can add things as needed and still have it lay flat.  And I'm sharing it with myself on Google docs so if I'm already in the grocery store and want to check if I have everything for a recipe, I can do it then.  

I'm both lazy and scattered, lol, so I've found it's easier for me if I can operate mostly on autopilot.  I have schedule in planning (like the Sats I used to do) or make it so I can do it on the spot (like having all my recipes available when I'm in the store).  I also tend to make things that last for more than one day, so I don't have to cook every night.  The key is I have to remember what days I have time and then make sure I cook what I've got so it doesn't go bad.  I don't cook for breakfast except for special occasions, and I eat the same thing almost every day. Lunch is leftovers or something easy - I have to plan those by freezing individual portions of dinners or getting things I can graze on (humus, veggies, lunch meat, cheese).  For snacks, I mostly have nuts (no more than a handful, and chew slowly).

Last night I tried my new spiralizer for the first time!  I made Chicken and Zoodle Caprese.  It was easy and delicious!  It would be very easy to make vegetarian by just cutting out the chicken, or you could add tofu or something else non-meat for protein.  I also made watermelon 'nice cream', which is just frozen watermelon cubes and coconut milk whizzed in the food processor.  Having this kind of thing made ahead keeps me from eating the ice cream dh is always eating in front of me.  I've got some bananas on hand getting ripe for chocolate nice cream, which is pretty much frozen bananas and chocolate with a bit of vanilla extract and almond milk.  Between the spiralizer and nice cream, I may never miss pasta and ice cream (and not feel guilty if I do eat the real thing from time to time).  The spiralized veggie noodles are even easier to make than regular pasta - no boiling, no separate pot.  I've also really warmed to cauliflower rice...

• Like 2

I used a meal planner called Real Plans to help me do Whole 30 last month. You can put in any restrictions you want and it will pull recipes that meet your criteria. It's a pretty neat program. Pricier than other meal planners but it does a lot. I paid for a quarter and I'm marking all the recipes I enjoy as favorites. I'm going to import those recipes into my usual meal planner for use going forward.

I'm still experimenting with my post whole 30 diet. I'm back on dairy (praise!) but still off of grains. The big thing is I'm trying to lower my sugary carbs, so I've been trying not to go too hard on the fruit. During W30 I got into a decent groove with breakfast and lunch. I've found that sticking to one fancy salad and repeating it all week really works for me. I prep all the bits of the salad at once then it's ready to be thrown together all week long. Breakfasts I either make some sort of breakfast casserole to eat all week or just do a simple eggs and veggies skillet every day.

Dinner is the hardest part and the one that takes the most effort. My family is not super flexible about dinner, so I'm alternating between making something they'll love but I can't eat and making something that I can eat but they may complain about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

As far as putting veggies in muffins being healthy, with my kids feeding issues, a zucchini muffin could well end up being the only veggie they eat all day.  Other than DD8 eating bananas, they don’t eat produce.  We have spent a lot of years with food chaining, feeding therapies and more.   So, if it takes a muffin or a bread or pancake or whatever to get veggies in them, then I am ok with that.  

😎

First I want to apologize cuz I think I sounded kind of judgy in my post.  I have 5 kids and a really difficult dh.  My kids have all kinds of LDs, etc; one has been diagnosed ASD.  They are older now (it got better!  It really did!) but I remember the struggles back in the day.  I was really coming at the muffin thing from my dd's nutritionist's point of view.  I really like her and she has given me a whole new grasp on food.  She kind of revolutionized my perspective.  Our food culture right now, especially for kids is just awful.  It has nothing to do with health at all.  And to be counter culture with kids is so dang hard!  But I think taking things from her perspective, the worst thing you can feed kids is refined carbs and sugar.  I know when I was forced to remove these from my own diet because of my dd's health, everything got better!  Mood, sleep, sense of well being, etc.  All that crappy refined stuff gets us addicted, literally addicted, and it messes up our insulin and hormones, etc.  So from her perspective it is better to detox kids from that stuff as much as possible and idea of putting veggies in a muffin would counter any possible benefits.  Or maybe then they'll only eat the veggies if they are sweet.  Like my dh with sweet potato casserole. He'd only eat it with marshmallows on top!  Took me years to get him to just enjoy sweet potato without added sweeteners.  

Anyway, I feel I am treading on ice because the last thing I want to do is get judgy.   I am in full sympathy for dealing with difficult children and food!  Just wanted to clarify where I was coming from.  I know everyone is out there fighting a battle!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stacia said:

Oh, do you have a recipe for this? It sounds so delicious.

I wish I had the recipe! It was from a Thai restaurant that we love. This place is so great because they have many healthy options on the menu and they use loads of fresh produce.

Breakfast today was veggie spring rolls.

Lunch was a salad of spinach, baby bok choy, baby kale, red cabbage, black lentils, broccolini, grape tomatoes, and peppers, topped off with my easy hummus recipe (1 can chickpeas, 1/3 c. aquafaba, 2 T tahini, juice of 1 lime).

Snacks today - I have my eye on the strawberries and watermelon in the fridge.🙂 Probably also some frozen blueberries with walnuts.

For dinner tonight, ds20 is grilling veggie burgers and asparagus. I am making cowboy caviar and baked tortilla chips to go along with it.

I'm really glad I brought the bulgur wheat salad last night.  A few guests had dairy and other issues and were glad to have a simple side to eat.

Dinner tonight - I think I'm going to grill chicken skewers with a harissa/yogurt sauce on them, zucchini with olive oil & garlic, and make up some fruit kabobs for dessert.  It's one of those meals dh can take cold to work the next day.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, whitehawk said:

I'll play! We are gf and "mostly plants" (and DS can't tolerate food coloring), and I'm generally running out of steam by the time I need to be cooking dinner so I sometimes don't do what I planned, and DS is getting braces next week. I've got a decent menu on the calendar, and I need to stick to it.

Monday - Make ice cream. Salade nicoise for dinner--I'm going to use canned cannellini beans instead of tuna. And cooked apples. I should go to the store while DS is at scouts.

Can't make the ice cream for DS because DH bought corn dogs and they're occupying the freezer space I need. I cooked the eggs too long (forgot to respond to the timer because I was helping DS with math). I've made the grocery list.