Menu

What is your favorite musical?

teachermom2834

I grew up going to a lot of shows and it was one of the few splurges our family had when I was young. My oldest three kids were boys who didn’t really enjoy them and we never had the money to take the whole family anyway. But now my youngest child is my 11 dd and I am back to enjoying musicals. We are pretty much good to give most (kid appropriate) shows within a couple hours from home a try. I’ve been introducing her to some classics I’ve seen before but I am also enjoying experiencing some “newer” ones for the first time. Dd and I listen to soundtracks in the car and it’s been such fun. 

We’ve recently seen Matilda, Finding Neverland, and Newsies. I really liked them all but I just love Newsies. 

What other great musicals are out there just waiting to be discovered? Old or new? What are your favorites? 

I know of Hamilton of course but it will be awhile before that one comes my way with affordable tickets. We have Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Mary Poppins and Cats all on the horizon.  Such fun! I spent a couple decades putting all my time and money towards getting my kids grown and I am enjoying getting back to something I enjoy so much. 

Les Miserable, Wicked, Sound of Music, West Side Story, Peter Pan, Into the Woods... I really love them all. My kids were part of an amazing theater program growing up and did great shows. I try to see a Broadway (not in NYC) traveling show once a year. It makes a great gift for me. 

• Like 1

Les Mis is my favorite because it makes me feel such a range of emotions.  Dh Loves Godspell but there are so many interpretations that you have to be careful. We saw one that was set in modern times and they shoved Jesus in a locker and ended up shooting him. Ugh. Just no. But our kids were in a version where the coffin was over a hidden trap door and it collapsed and Jesus was clearly not in it. When he then walked down the house aisle you could hear people gasping and crying and cheering. That’s what I want in a show- emotion!

• Like 1

my dad was active in local theater scene when I was a kid.  I saw all the musicals... and then some. 😉  All of those are the old ones though...like Sound of Music and Guys and Dolls.

Here's a list... some will be better than others, and I suspect that some will be very dated by today's standards:

Singing in the Rain

Le Mis

The Producers (although maybe not exactly a musical)

How to Succeed in Business Without Even Trying

Chicago

Chorus Line

Annie Get Your Gun

7 Brides for 7 Brothers

Rent (I've never seen this one but I know a lot of people who love it)

West Side Story

Gypsy

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Into the Woods

Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd.

Fiddler on the Roof

Oklahoma

Hello Dolly

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Little Shop of Horrors

Pirates of Penzance

Fame

Camelot

Godspell

Music Man

Carousel

That was fun... brought back a lot of memories.

• Like 2

"Les Miserables" and "Phantom" probably... although it's rare for me not to love a musical.

I really enjoyed "Jesus Christ Superstar" when I saw it awhile back when I was a Christian.  I thought I would be horrified by it, but actually loved it.  Oh and "Evita"...so I guess Andrew Lloyd Webber was a fan.

We just saw a live version of "Singing in the Rain" on Mother's Day and it was wonderfully done. 

I loved "Fiddler on the Roof" so much as a kid that me and my nextdoor neighbor's granddaughter, lip-synced the whole thing as a show for our parents/grandparents.  Haha.  I remember stuffing a pillow in a shirt and making a beard with eyebrow pencil when I was like 9 or so.  The movie version is rather good IMHO from the 70s.  If going movie musicals, "Oklahoma" is fabulous, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", "Singing in the Rain", "Funny Girl", "Funny Face",....OK anything Fred & Ginger.

• Like 2

oh - gentleman prefer blondes.  Marilyn Monroe (she really was a gifted comedienne. great timing.)  and Jane Russell.  more comedy, but does have singing and dancing.

a new place to wear diamonds (tiaras), 

• Like 2

I love all the ideas. I did mention my dd but I am also interested in everyone’s favorites even if they aren’t kid friendly. My dh likes to go and my kids are old enough I don’t need a sitter. My time has come! Lol. 

I have tickets to Waitress as part of a package I bought but that will be dh or a friend accompanying me. I almost left it out of the package because it wasn’t kid friendly...but I’ll be 45 yo by the time I see it so I thought it would be ok. 🙂 It is hard getting used to doing grown up stuff. Dh and I never did anything without our kids. But it is time. 

Just now, teachermom2834 said:

I love all the ideas. I did mention my dd but I am also interested in everyone’s favorites even if they aren’t kid friendly. My dh likes to go and my kids are old enough I don’t need a sitter. My time has come! Lol. 

I have tickets to Waitress as part of a package I bought but that will be dh or a friend accompanying me. I almost left it out of the package because it wasn’t kid friendly...but I’ll be 45 yo by the time I see it so I thought it would be ok. 🙂 It is hard getting used to doing grown up stuff. Dh and I never did anything without our kids. But it is time. 

I took my 14 year old DD to Waitress. We both loved it. She learned to bake pies after that show. I hope you enjoy it. I don’t think I would have taken her at 11, though. We liked Dear Evan Hansen, too, but that may be too mature for your DD. Certainly read about it. It’s a good show, but mature themes. (As a mom, the first song really resonated with me.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, umsami said:

I always think of the dentist song when I visit the dentist.... 😄

My dentist's office always has music playing. I was once having my teeth cleaned when that song came on and had to laugh. I won't be forgetting that anytime soon!

Regards,

Kareni

• Haha 1

My favorite topic.  Just recently saw Waitress.  It is now in my top 10 musicals.  I loved it   Another favorite is Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.   This is probably the one I actually listen to the most often. 

Others include: 

Little Shop of Horrors

Jesus Christ Superstar

American Idiot

Chess

In the Heights

Chicago

An American in Paris

Bright Star

City of Angels

Finding Neverland

Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

The Lion King

Dogfight

The Color Purple

Something Rotten

Also, I haven't actually seen these yet but love the music for Come from Away and Hadestown.  

While not one of my favorites personally, the tour currently out there of The King and I is one of the most visually stunning things I have seen in a long time.  It was a very good show.  I am sure I am missing something.  My 15 year old's new favorite is Waitress and my 17 year old's favorite is Les Miserables.   The tour of that currently going around is absolutely amazing.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, perkybunch said:

Little Shop of Horrors

My son was in that in high school.  He had so much fun!

I will add Sweeney Todd, although not for younger kids.  I loved it.  

We have an excellent Children's Theater here and school groups and homeschoolers get $6 tickets for daytime shows.  We went to a lot of them.

There were musical versions of:

Lion King

Beauty and the Beast

Treasure Island

Secret Garden

I am sure there were more, I just can't think of them right now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, littlebug42 said:

While not one of my favorites personally, the tour currently out there of The King and I is one of the most visually stunning things I have seen in a long time.  It was a very good show.  I am sure I am missing something.  My 15 year old's new favorite is Waitress and my 17 year old's favorite is Les Miserables.   The tour of that currently going around is absolutely amazing.  

Oh I agree on The King and I.  My daughter and I won lottery tickets or we wouldn't have gone.  It was stunning.  Another one we felt that way about was Hello Dolly!

A lot of the stuff my kids like now isn't really appropriate probably for age 11.  You've gotten a lot of great suggestions.  MY 15 year old is nuts about Waitress too.  We have season tickets this year for traveling Broadway in our city and have Come From Away, Mean Girls, Frozen, etc coming down the line!  So excited!

• Like 2

I'm the parent of a musical theater kid, so I've had to learn to appreciate them that way. He sees a ton. And is in a ton.

Setting aside the oldies but goodies... Some from my adult lifetime that I've really come to like include...

Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
Come From Away
The Band's Visit
Hairspray
School of Rock
Waitress
Thoroughly Modern Millie

My musicals nerd really likes Be More Chill and from his description of it on Broadway, it seems like it's a wild experience - or, at least, it was. I think it's likely to be a cult classic in the making. The brother of my musicals nerd really likes Dear Evan Hansen, which my musicals lover feels is overrated. Shrug.

I've never seen Wicked and the music doesn't do it for me fully, but I hear it's one of the best to actually see the professional production of.

Not a Broadway musical, but if there's ever a local production of the musical version of As You Like It by Shaina Taub, then it's wonderful. The music is great, the adaptation of Shakespeare's language is great. It's funny in all the ways the original is and feels updated while maintaining the story. I'm sure it's staged differently in different productions, but I adored the staging I saw.

• Like 1

Another theatre/MT family sounding off. 

EDITED TO INSERT:  DROWSY CHAPERONE!  So much fun!

We've seen Music Man so many times we could probably perform it spontaneously -- a family favorite.

When Shrek first started touring after Broadway we went to see it -- I thought it was going to be totally stupid, but ended up loving it.  Every production I've seen since then, though, has been a little worse than the one before, so I guess the writing isn't impervious to bad production.

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

The brother of my musicals nerd really likes Dear Evan Hansen, which my musicals lover feels is overrated. Shrug.

This sounds like our family, lol. Dd really wanted to like it, went to see it with original Broadway cast, and ended up thinking it was really so-so.  Same with Come From Away. OTOH, older dd says the best thing on Broadway right now is Oklahoma because she loves what they've done with it. 

3 hours ago, purpleowl said:

Another one I love that I haven't seen anyone else list is Jane Eyre.

The music is lovely, but if the leads aren't top notch you'll want to die.  Caird (book) and Gordon (lyrics and music) also wrote Daddy Longlegs, and, again, if you see it with good performers (there are only 2) it's amazing.

We also go see operas, some of which you'd probably enjoy. Grapes of Wrath is incredibly long but an incredibly moving way to tell that story, and everyone I know wishes I'd shut up about it because I saw it 2 years ago and still go on and on. Barber of Seville is just plain fun.

Best tip:  Find a place you can volunteer to usher.  You'll usually get a comp ticket to everything you usher, and can see all sorts of things that way. 

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Also, Urinetown is hysterical, but again the cast makes a big difference. I don’t think your 11yo would completely get it, but it’s clever melodrama. 

OMG, I forgot about Urinetown! Sheesh, I knew I should've waited until dd was up until I answered this -- I'm forgetting all the good stuff.