Menu

July 5, 2019 - AP scores now available to teachers

Students still have to wait for their designated score release date, but if you went through the Course Audit procedure as a homeschool educator and your student used the state homeschool code as their school code, all scores are available today.  Go to https://scores.collegeboard.org/ and log in to your educator account to access them. 😁

Edited by jplain
  • Like 4

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize we could access scores that way. I'm surprised how few homeschoolers take APs in my state - even the popular exams only had 3 or 4 students.  I guess everyone does dual enrollment instead.

55 minutes ago, 3andme said:

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize we could access scores that way. I'm surprised how few homeschoolers take APs in my state - even the popular exams only had 3 or 4 students.  I guess everyone does dual enrollment instead.

Where did you find your state's homeschool/AP exam numbers? I'd love to see those if they are available in other states!

2 hours ago, Brigid in NC said:

Where did you find your state's homeschool/AP exam numbers? I'd love to see those if they are available in other states!

When I signed up for a teacher's account, I did it under the Washington State Homeschool code. I have access to reports on all the subjects in which I submitted an approved syllabus. The reports show all the students who took the tests using the Homeschool code including my sons.  Since they took 5 exams this year, I was able to see the number of participants and scores for each of those exams. I was also able to look at last year's reports as well. The reports list the actual scores and grade level for each student and also show a comparison with overall State and National statistics. Art History & Macro had only 1 participant (my ds) while Lit, World History & European History had 2-4 students. I suppose some of the homeschool students may be reported under separate codes for online Academies.

Edited by 3andme

I had no idea that I could access my student's scores as a teacher either. I'm also surprised at how few homeschoolers take the tests in KY. However, I'm not sure that it's a good thing that I can see by name all the homeschoolers in KY that took the tests I taught - it means that I actually can see my son's scores along with some other kids I know (and I'm not sure they want me to know their scores).

11 minutes ago, Julie of KY said:

However, I'm not sure that it's a good thing that I can see by name all the homeschoolers in KY that took the tests I taught - it means that I actually can see my son's scores along with some other kids I know (and I'm not sure they want me to know their scores).

My kids use the test center code instead as they can never remember the homeschool code. Since the AP coordinator (whom my kids like) doesn’t blab, maybe it’s a good thing my kids didn’t use California’s homeschool code. It was quite easy to call and get the score report change after AP results were out. 

3 hours ago, Julie of KY said:

However, I'm not sure that it's a good thing that I can see by name all the homeschoolers in KY that took the tests I taught - it means that I actually can see my son's scores along with some other kids I know (and I'm not sure they want me to know their scores).

Seriously?!? This gives you access to the actual NAMES and SCORES of ALL the homeschooled students who used the state's homeschool code (who took a test for a subject that you taught)??? :blink: Holy breach of privacy! Wow! 😕

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Seriously?!? This gives you access to the actual NAMES and SCORES of ALL the homeschooled students who used the state's homeschool code (who took a test for a subject that you taught)??? :blink: Holy breach of privacy! Wow! 😕

I'm also flabbergasted at this. There is NO WAY this information should be available for others to see.

As an online teacher, I have an online provider code from the College Board that is a separate entry on bubble sheets--and is in addition to the school code that students enter. I get my students' scores based on my online provider code (that students enter on their bubble sheets) and then analytic reports a few weeks later. If my students enter a homeschool code for their school AND an online provider code, I'm betting their scores don't show up on the homeschooler educators report mentioned above. That may be why the AP exam numbers look low. I know PA Homeschoolers and other organizations teaching online have their own online provider code, too, so there are probably many more homeschooled students taking AP exams than are showing up on the homeschool educators report that 3andme--and others--are seeing.

But, boy, that homeschoolers names and scores are so public is truly shocking.

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea this information was out there.  I can go back every year to 2015 and run reports for my state.  Each homeschooler's name, AP score, and AP ID is listed in the report.  Is this a new feature this year?  Or has this information been available for a number of years and I was just clueless?  

• Confused 1

Not a HSer or AP provider.  I putting off my weekend chores.  So, tried to get a handle on how such a major privacy breach is possible.  From looking at the college Board  Student AP  registration  procedures  AND AP teachers procedures., I have a guess as to what is happening.  HS testers are to place the homeschool code on the test form.   The test proctor has the homeschool code. This keeps the HSer  score from being included in the host schools results.  New AP class registration is something different.   Here are the procedures: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/ap-course-audit-user-guide.pdf   from what I gather, the new AP class teacher is to obtain an access code by calling college board.   I would assume college board would then provides a code for specifically for,  lets say,  3and Me High.  3and me would then use that code to access only  her student's scores,  just as the regular schools would access only their students by using aunique access code.  What is probably happening is that those of you who do not acquire an unique access code for your specific class, but instead use the generic state code are inadvertently joining your records with other HSers who also used the state code. In other word, your students are being lumped with all the other teachers who did not obtain their own code, but used the state's code.  This could possibly explain the low number of HS students some mentioned in their state.  this could all be crap. I am putting off my chores. 

ETA:  Brigid's explanation is what I'm getting to:  As an online teacher, I have an online provider code from the College Board that is a separate entry on bubble sheets--and is in addition to the school code that students enter. I get my students' scores based on my online provider code (that students enter on their bubble sheets) and then analytic reports a few weeks later. If my students enter a homeschool code for their school AND an online provider code, I'm betting their scores don't show up on the homeschooler educators report mentioned above. That may be why the AP exam numbers look low. I know PA Homeschoolers and other organizations teaching online have their own online provider code, too, so there are probably many more homeschooled students taking AP exams than are showing up on the homeschool educators report that 3andme--and others--are seeing.

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1

Homeschooling parents don’t have the option of requesting a unique school code.  When going through Course Audit, both last year and this year I had to register as [My State] Home School.  The code is a homeschool-specific code for my state. 

I, too, am surprised that we have access to other homeschoolers’ scores.  Personally, my kid and I don’t care if her scores are visible to others, but I completely understand that others may feel very differently.  As it turns out, my daughter was the only homeschooler in our state who took the AP Computer Science A exam this year (or perhaps just the only one who took it without using an online provider code).  I was relieved not to see other students’ scores.

Edited by jplain

6 hours ago, Shaunannew said:

Anybody able to check for Indiana 😜? Also, has anyone learned about joining the new AP Resource and Discussion board? As of right now, it seems like it’s only open to schools (from what I can see) 😔?

Could you share a link to the board you’re referring to? I’m not finding a reference to it when I Google it. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Brígid in NC,

I’m still learning the ropes on this site, so I apologize that I can’t reply directly yet.  Here is a link under the Teachers Community and it shows Discussions board and Resource Center, as you scroll down.  

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/professional-development/ap-teacher-community

It’s a new community that allows teachers to trade various ideas, papers for AP related subjects, additional resources, etc.  It seems like it would be an incredible asset and it worries me that they may be excluding homeschoolers, as you can only join with an official school email or a link to a roster for your school.  Hoping they have a way for homeschoolers to join.  I was planning to call this evening to double check but thought I would ask here while I was reading the info regarding AP test scores ❤️💕!

(P.S. Hello 👋, nice to meet everyone!)

8 minutes ago, Shaunannew said:

Hi Brígid in NC,

I’m still learning the ropes on this site, so I apologize that I can’t reply directly yet.  Here is a link under the Teachers Community and it shows Discussions board and Resource Center, as you scroll down.  

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/professional-development/ap-teacher-community

It’s a new community that allows teachers to trade various ideas, papers for AP related subjects, additional resources, etc.  It seems like it would be an incredible asset and it worries me that they may be excluding homeschoolers, as you can only join with an official school email or a link to a roster for your school.  Hoping they have a way for homeschoolers to join.  I was planning to call this evening to double check but thought I would ask here while I was reading the info regarding AP test scores ❤️💕!

Ah! Gotcha! I believe the discussion boards are not actually new. They are super helpful, and I think that the way that you get access to them to them is by submitting a syllabus through the College Board course audit process at getting that approved. Once you have an approval syllabus, you'll then be able to join the discussion forums you're interested in.

Take a look here: https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started/ I hope. that's helpful! ☀️

• Like 1

Thank you so much!  And you are right!  I was so excited to see that my request to join the World History Community was approved! Now to get approved for 4 more courses, lol. But I did look back through and pulled up the info about the "new and exciting opportunities for this year though the College Board" which included a way to track students and offer quizzes and tests that the College Board is providing access to.  I have been so busy trying to sift through the information in the Discussion Board, I'm having a hard time finding the link.  But I know it's supposed to be something new for this year <3.  Do you know if there are any Summer AP programs that are still accepting reservations or individuals who want to attend (I'm still scrolling through to see if I can find any)?  I had been told all of these things, including listing courses as AP and the teacher access, were unavailable to homeschooling parents <3.

Thank you again!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 1:23 AM, easypeasy said:

I can’t be entirely sure, but I suspect the new system that opened up today will prevent me from seeing other homeschoolers’ scores in the future.  After logging in to my teacher account, I had to create a class for each subject, and a join code was generated.  My daughter will need to use that join code to join my classes and get access to online materials.  

I’m not sure yet whether she’ll use that same code to register for the exam, or whether she’ll be using an “exam-only” code provided by the AP Coordinator at her test site.

• Like 2