Menu

Mop recs!—Wood floors/dog hair

mmasc

We just moved into a house where the entire bottom floor is laminate/wood-type floor with ceramic tile in kitchen/bath areas. My steam mop broke right before the move so I’m looking for something and thinking there might be a better option. So...

1) what do you use to easily get up *dog hair* and dust before mopping (and just daily maintenance of dog hair!)

2) what mop system do you like

my previous method was to sweep dog hair with a regular broom, then steam mop with water. I want something better. Sweeping surely isn’t the best for dog hair and I’d like something where I can use a bit of pine-sol or something more than water. (Microfiber type dry and wet mop maybe???)

Amazon links would be awesome! ty!

38 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I love dry Swiffer clothes for dog hair (and dust, and people hair). They honestly seem superior to vacuuming to me on hard floors.

Yes, they do. My issue is they are not as good on the actual dirt the dogs drag in. Sigh. I need better rugs, and I'm planting grass seed soon - right now it's just dirt out there. 

Oh, and the new heavy duty or whatever they call them Swiffer cloths are even better! (the heavy duty wet ones are WORSE than the regular wet ones, but the new dry ones are fantastic) These are them! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiffer-Heavy-Duty-Pet-Dry-Sweeping-Cloth-Refills-with-Febreze-Odor-Defense-20-Count/609816219?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=943&adid=22222222227268701879&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=319417979674&wl4=pla-593213682365&wl5=9011740&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=609816219&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELpJgvbtTzkg_4uBJ0tAaaqmxtvxvOJT4a0CbKomeTpgDLQkQh7gUZhoCH5cQAvD_BwE

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

I had looked at that o-cedar spin mop and was comparing it to the microfiber wet and dry mop (Norwex-type). I’m glad to see that a few of you use and recommend it. 

@Ktgrok I had also thought about the dirt. 😞 I’ve vacuumed in the past before mopping, but was hoping maybe for a daily maintenance thing that was easier! 

Maybe my solution is swiffer for daily dog hair, o-cedar for mopping and vacuum before mopping. Good grief it’s a lot of work keeping a house clean 😅

4 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I had looked at that o-cedar spin mop and was comparing it to the microfiber wet and dry mop (Norwex-type). I’m glad to see that a few of you use and recommend it. 

@Ktgrok I had also thought about the dirt. 😞 I’ve vacuumed in the past before mopping, but was hoping maybe for a daily maintenance thing that was easier! 

Maybe my solution is swiffer for daily dog hair, o-cedar for mopping and vacuum before mopping. Good grief it’s a lot of work keeping a house clean 😅

Pretty much, yes. 

The swifter is GREAT for hair, and a bit of dirt. But for my house, its not enough. 

• Like 1

Vacuuming. Lots and lots of vacuuming - every day! Lol

That's the only thing that works in my house, with our hardwood floors and our multitude of dogs and cats.

I just bought a DeWalt shop vac because it works way better on dog hair than any other vacuum we've ever had.

For mopping, I use a Twist and Shout mop. I like it because you can wring almost all the water out of it, so it doesn't damage wood floors.

• Like 1

All hard floors here, no carpet, no rugs except dirt catcher rugs by the doors. Dh tries to brush the bassett hound weekly since she is our worst offender. We also have a pitt bull mix but she doesn't shed much and dh's grandma's chihuahua stays with us whenever grandma has to go anywhere for a few days. The bassett though... we find giant tumble weeds of her hair everywhere....

So my routine is...

Sweep main living areas with a regular broom every day.

Vacuum around the dog bed corner daily.

Once a week I get under everything with this dust mop. I use a lint roller to get the hair off the mop head and only wash the mop head about once a month or when it needs it, which ever comes first.

Once a month or so, I will move furniture and vacuum with a shop vac but I'm really wanting to get one of these to save my back. Then I mop with a damp rag on the end of an old swiffer in the rooms with plank flooring. I use my steam mop in rooms that have sheet laminate where I'm not worried about the steam getting down between the planks. The bathrooms and kitchen have sheet laminate so the rooms I really prefer to have super clean floors I can steam mop.

Other than that, I turn a blind eye most of the time to the bassett hound dust bunnies because my son absolutely loves that dog. Sigh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweet2ndchance said:

All hard floors here, no carpet, no rugs except dirt catcher rugs by the doors. Dh tries to brush the bassett hound weekly since she is our worst offender. We also have a pitt bull mix but she doesn't shed much and dh's grandma's chihuahua stays with us whenever grandma has to go anywhere for a few days. The bassett though... we find giant tumble weeds of her hair everywhere....

So my routine is...

Sweep main living areas with a regular broom every day.

Vacuum around the dog bed corner daily.

Once a week I get under everything with this dust mop. I use a lint roller to get the hair off the mop head and only wash the mop head about once a month or when it needs it, which ever comes first.

Once a month or so, I will move furniture and vacuum with a shop vac but I'm really wanting to get one of these to save my back. Then I mop with a damp rag on the end of an old swiffer in the rooms with plank flooring. I use my steam mop in rooms that have sheet laminate where I'm not worried about the steam getting down between the planks. The bathrooms and kitchen have sheet laminate so the rooms I really prefer to have super clean floors I can steam mop.

Other than that, I turn a blind eye most of the time to the bassett hound dust bunnies because my son absolutely loves that dog. Sigh.

That eureka looks pretty good!

• 8 months later...

@sweet2ndchance did you ever buy that eureka vacuum? I’m coming back to this thread because I’m still trying to find a good method! I did buy the o cedar (thanks @Pawz4me!) and love it for mopping, but I still haven’t found what I need for the hard floors. The swiffer recs above have been great for quick/daily dog hair, but I’m sick of dragging the huge shop vac around for debris/dirt before mopping! I might order this little eureka today. 

• Like 1

Sadly, no it's still on my wish list, lol.

I did get a hose kit for the shopvac that has the long handled floor brush and an extra long hose. We just have a small shopvac that I use for vacuuming around the house. The monstrous behemoth shopvac stays out with the tools unless I have a huge mess to clean up ( I considered dragging it out during the "let's wash the Big Joe bean bag chair" fiasco lol) 

Anyways, I still want the Eureka but the accessory kit I got for the little shopvac is doing an okay job for now. You'll have to let us know how it is if you do get it. 😉

Edited by sweet2ndchance
Clarity
  • Thanks 1