Menu

High School History Options - Sr Year

Looking for some inspiration and ideas.

Working on senior year planning... for history.

So far, this ds has taken:
9th AP Human Geography
10th Hon US History
10th AP US Govt
11th AP Comparative Govt
12th ?? - planning to probably tackle a World or Euro History to round out his education. Anyone have some thoughts?

And if World/Euro - anyone have any fairly inexpensive online options? I was thinking Khan Academy for World Hist.... 

What was your 4-year history cycle? Anyone do some stuff off the beaten path too?

Is there a particular region of the world or a time period that fascinates your son?

These are all considered the basis of social studies - - "anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, law, philosophy, political science, psychology, religion, and sociology."  Might something there be of interest?

As for us, we came to homeschooling late and began in 7th grade.  We allowed my daughter the decision of whether or not to homeschool each year, so we took things on a year by year basis.  I'd describe our homeschooling as WTM inspired; however, I elected to do a three year run through world history.

In 7th grade, my daughter covered Pre-history to about AD500.
In 8th grade, my daughter studied the time period AD500 to about AD1700.
In 9th, she did an at home WTM inspired world history study of the time period from 1700 to 2000.  

Ninth grade was the last year she did history at home.

In 10th, she took an out of the home AP US History class which used Bailey's American Pageant.

In 11th grade, my daughter had an out of the home AP Comparative Gov't and Politics class.

Her interests in high school led her to emphasize foreign languages at the expense of history; there were only so many hours in a day! Her high school record looked like this:

9th: World History from 1700 to 2000 (at home, the third year of her chronological sweep through history)
10th: AP US History (out of the home class)
11th: AP Comparative Politics and Government (out of the home class)

You might not classify it as history, but she also did

12th: Art History (quarter long class at the community college)

We had access to excellent AP teachers at a free homeschooling resource center, and that was part of what decided our history choices during the high school years.

She was ultimately accepted to eight of the ten colleges to which she applied.

Regards,
Kareni

My DD likes studying human behavior (as she says, humans are just a very complicated social animal), and is very likely to end up being a double major in bio and sociology or psychology. We have access to a CC that seems to have a lot of really, really good Social sciences classes. I give this list as a “shopping list” not a “you should do this” list, because it looks kind of insane. 

She’s taken

History of British Commonwealth Countries (England, Australia, India)-survey using high school texts from all three countries.

World History-Honors(at CC)

General Psychology (CC)

Lifespan psychology (CC)

US History (at home and with online classes)

Inteoduction to Sociology (CC)

Race, Culture and Gender studies in US Society (CC)

Coming up:

British History (college class in early college summer program)

Cultural Anthropology (early college summer program)

US Government and Politics (online, AP level class)/Economics

also of interest

African-American History (CC)

Regional and Local history (there is a good CC class on this, and also a state level governor’s School that spends a month on state history, spending a week at each of four college campuses and visiting local sites to that area-she’s torn on whether to apply to that one next summer or whether to apply again for agricultural science)

Women’s Studies (CC or state U)

We really enjoyed Great Courses for World History - History of the Ancient World and Foundations of Western Civ

I also think an Economics course is a good idea, although maybe your Comparative Gov covered enough of that. We liked Great Courses for Econ too https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/economics-3rd-edition.html

On 7/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, Momto6inIN said:

We really enjoyed Great Courses for World History - History of the Ancient World and Foundations of Western Civ

I also think an Economics course is a good idea, although maybe your Comparative Gov covered enough of that. We liked Great Courses for Econ too https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/economics-3rd-edition.html

Yes he took AP Macro/Micro in 10th, and will take AP Psychology next year too. Another social science. Just thinking we really need a true 'history' credit - probably World - to round out the usual suspects. Just don't know a good one really. These are really great suggestions - I'll be looking into them. My ds is more a video or live-learner, rather than a text-learner, so will scout out your thoughts. Keep them coming!

• Like 1