Menu

What's with the ads?

4KookieKids

FUN all-in-one app (like ABCmouse) but for ALs?

My 5 yo routinely complains that ABCmouse is boring (it's already set to 2nd grade level). We have a variety of other single-subject apps, but I'd like something more "all-in-one" so she can explore science, history, grammar, math, etc. all in one place (I have to be able to "lock" the ipad into a single app, instead of giving her access to the full ipad, since guided access is an all or nothing sort of deal.) We use this screentime when I need time with my big kids, so it needs to be something she can manage on her own for 30-45 minutes, something fun enough to keep an immature 5yo entertained, and advanced enough to not be boring for an AL. I'd like it to be somewhat interactive and not just videos to watch. 

I checked out miacademy and abcmouse's adventure app for older kids, but they still just don't seem super advanced. Khan doesn't seem to have the fun aspect, and khan kids version doesn't provide new content. 

Is there not a kids corner type thing you can download for the iPad so just the apps you choose are available to play? We have that on our Android tablet which is a big help. Our iPad gets used more for educational websites saved as bookmarks.

21 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

Is there not a kids corner type thing you can download for the iPad so just the apps you choose are available to play? We have that on our Android tablet which is a big help. Our iPad gets used more for educational websites saved as bookmarks.

Not that I'm aware of you. Guided access will lock it into one app, but you can't even load different users onto it. They say it's just supposed to be a one-user device.

My 6 year old likes Adventure Academy, which I think is the advanced version of ABC Mouse. It just came out on May 1st. I think it is his favorite app, and he has a lot of apps (only educational apps though). It is new though and the newness wears off of things and he’s not as interested eventually, but I let him have an hour a day of IPad time so that makes newness wear off quicker too.

Following.
We never found a single app.  DS has several different ones on the ipod that range from some chemistry thing (have to create from the written compound name or it blows up) to math and music.

27 minutes ago, mrhmhy said:

What chemistry app is that? Sounds like something mine would love!

Okay, I just looked it up on my phone and it's called Chem Lab.  But it won't let me download it - it's still on ds's ipod, but it doesn't come up in searches now for being able to download from the app store.

• Sad 1

Adventure Academy. It is by the same people but for older kids. My 3 are really enjoying it (7 and 8yo advanced learners and 10yo special needs), enough so that we went ahead and got a year subscription after the 30 day trial. It's still brand new and therefore a little glitchy, but it hasn't bothered my kids. It has a fair amount of interesting content and you can set the difficulty. It's intended for 8-12yo, so I'm guessing it will be enough for an advanced 5yo.

Other than that something like EPIC or another ebook library-type app? Some have videos along with books. But yeah, Adventure Academy is the only one I know of like what you described. Oh my kids like doing Mystery Science on their own. It's not an app, but it may work. 

Maybe Prodigy? It's math only, but there's a lot of game aspect to it that might be fun.

• Like 1