Menu

S/O sick days - chronic illness

The other thread has me wondering - what do you do with a kid who does have a chronic illness? 

One of my kids is always sick, has multiple things that add up to a least a day every week or every other week that she wants to stay in bed. How do you handle that, when you have “morning time” or subjects that have students combined together, like story of the world? 

What I’ve been doing to putting off that subject or read-aloud until we can all be present, but that results in taking forever to get through things, and I’m wondering if I should approach it differently. 

Well, I'm the one with the chronic illness but I will do family read alouds/projects in my queen bed with everyone snuggled around or at least sitting nearby. When I can't talk I use history on Audibe and read alouds on you tube, I use hand signs to get them through simple workbooks. When I can't walk much I pull out independent kits. I basically have multiple types of resources for each subject depending on what I can handle.

Could your daughter be situated comortably on the couch for morning time?

My daughter has chronic illness issues. We do what we can each day. Most days we can do something even if we can’t get in an entire day of school. We school year around. We have also put a big priority on finding both allopathic and naturopathic treatments so that hopefully we can build up her body. (A celiac diagnosis and gluten free diet has improved her health quite a bit though she still has issues that we can’t explain. )

We didn’t do school as a family unit once my kids were past the elementary grades. So ds was able to progress separately from her. 

If a child gets sick enough that they have to miss even read alouds and such on a near-weekly basis, then I think you need to let go of the idea of waiting for them. Just catch them up on what they missed as best you can. Quickly summarize what they missed and continue with the shared read aloud or project. 

• Like 1