Menu

HS Biology Curriculum?

mrhmhy

Looking for suggestions for a HS Biology curriculum for DS9 next year?  Would like something self-study, not an online class. I’m thinking a HS textbook should do but there’s so many options I don’t know what’s good.  He’s very science oriented so I want something geared towards that. A lot of ones I saw seemed aimed towards just getting them through the basics, same for the homeschool ones.  He just took a week long summer vet science course at the UW, it was designed for 4-6 grade gifted kids (he just finished 3rd), but instructor said he’s the most advanced she’s ever seen and he was understanding the material she teaches in her college bio 102 course.  So trying to find something that fits...

11 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Has he taken chemistry? Most high school bio courses are biochem focused.

Middle school chem only. He hasn’t done Alg 1 yet (this year).  In most high schools around here Biology comes first.

Holt Biology with the homeschool packet is pretty good, and the labs are well laid out. We did it with a small group.

This is the college text DD used.  A new edition is out, so this one is very affordable now, but still recent enough to be current. It’s not as dry as Campbell (which can double for a cure for insomnia even when you like biology), but equally comprehensive, and has more organismal content than most general bio texts (one of the authors is a herpetologist). https://smile.amazon.com/Life-Science-Biology-David-Sadava/dp/1429298642/ref=sr_1_2?crid=AYZAWSVR4HXZ&keywords=life+the+science+of+biology+11+edition&qid=1561905396&s=gateway&sprefix=Life+the+science+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-2

FWIW, what DD did at age 9 was specific topics that interested her, usually using college texts, plus going through the Uzinggo high school science online modules which were a quick way to get a framework in earth/space, bio, chem and physics, but were less frustrating for a kid who might have been able to handle high school or college content-but did not have the fine motor skills yet, plus the occasional field trip or lab with college students. Her bio mentors suggested this because general bio is (as her animal behavior mentor put it) a great way to teach students to hate biology. It tends to front load all the terms and basic facts, and be tedious. So, DD dove deep into Herpetology, ectotherm anatomy and physiology, entomology, and aquatic biology, then came back and did a high school bio with lab science course, with a college text to supplement, at age 11. 

They didn’t exist yet, but I also strongly suggest the Athena’s Science classes, especially the more specialized ones (we have no experience with the general ones). He may or may not learn new content, but the chance to share that love with other kids who are passionate about the subject is valuable, and usually the discussions are pretty deep. DD came back this summer to take the Animal Behavior and Cognition Class, even though she has a pretty deep knowledge of the subject, and is loving it, and has taken most of Emma’s Marine Bio classes just as extras along with other science classes, because she enjoys them. DD will be teaching Herpetology I again in the fall as well.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mrhmhy said:

Middle school chem only. He hasn’t done Alg 1 yet (this year).  In most high schools around here Biology comes first.

Here too, but that’s usually because Chemistry has math pre requisites that the majority of students do not have as freshmen. Advanced math students take Chemistry first, then they go straight into AP Biology.