Menu

When you need to lose 100 pounds

math teacher

I am 57 years old, 5'4",  and weigh close to 230-can't believe I have gotten this big. I have a serious problem with sugar, but I know I need to stop eating it. I would like to lose the weight, regain my range of motion, and have mostly pain free joints. I do have arthritis that stems from psoriasis. I'm on a biologic, plus take meloxican for the pain. I have considered checking into weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure I qualify for that.

If you've lost that much, how did you do it?

What I can think of off the top of my head is:

*Drink LOTS of water. The first 5-10 pounds you lose are going to be "water weight". This will help flush it out.
*Incorporate cinnamon into as much of your food as you can. You don't have to be able to taste it, you just need to consume it. 
Helps balance blood sugar.
*Before you go to bed at night and when you wake up in the morning, set your intention for the day. You're going to eat healthily so you can be healthy.
Keep this in mind each time you're "tempted." 
*IMPORTANT: don't "deprive" yourself. Let yourself have a sweet or some sort of treat once a week. Something to look forward to and you won't feel deprived.
Easier to stick with the plan that way.
*Avoid artificial sweeteners! They are no better for you than refined sugar and can actually be worse.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

From what you say you do qualify for surgery. I had gastric sleeve surgery 4 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. Generally you qualify with a BMI of 40 or higher, or 35 and 2 heath problems stemming from the weight (like high blood pressure, joint pain, etc). 

With needing Meloxicam you'd need to talk to the surgeon about that, as NSAIDs can be an issue post surgery. Some say no NSAIDs ever, some say none with gastric bypass but ok to use on occasion with gastric sleeve, or okay with antacids, etc. Mine says some NSAID use is okay if I take an antacid at the same time, with sleeve. 

If you are truly considering it, even a bit, I'd urge you to seek out a bariatric center of excellence, and attend an information session. It's not a quick process usually, and they will go over all the information with you. 

• Like 7

Can you get an app?  My husband uses the Lose It! app on his phone.  I’ve been using it, too, but only need to lose 15-20 lbs, not 100lbs.  

My husband needed to lose about 40 or so and he’s lost 30 so far.  

The app simply has you count calories.  I’ve never done that before and it was pretty surprising how fast they can add up.  Every type of food is in that app.  If you want to see how many calories are in your Taco Bell Chicken Soft Taco, you type it in and there it is.  If you want to know how many calories are in your Kellogg’s cornflakes and milk, you type it in and there it is.

I use a kitchen scale for a few things because some things are only listed in ounces (like chicken or spaghetti noodles).  

I’ve been finding it almost effortless to lose the bit of weight I need to lose.  You tell the app what your weight is and what your goal is and it tells you how many calories you can eat each day.  As you eat foods, you plug them into the app and it subtracts what you’ve eaten from the total.

I haven’t changed much of what I eat, except that I realize I don’t have room for the junk food if I don’t want to go above my allowed calories for the day.  So, by the time I’m done eating my cereal and milk for breakfast, my leftover spaghetti for lunch, and my taco salad at dinner, there’s not enough left for a candy bar (my personal weakness.). I do eat 3 or 4 Milk Duds every day to satisfy the craving for candy, but then I stop.

However, I was only ever about 15-20 pounds from my goal weight, so my calories are pretty restricted.  If you have 100 to go, you’ll be allowed to eat a lot more than I do, so it’ll be easier as you start.  The more weight you lose, the fewer calories you can eat and the app adjusts as your weight is lost (you plug in your weight every day).  I’ve lost 10 pounds in the past 13 weeks (my goal is 1 pound a week) and as I said, it’s been effortless.  I don’t exercise, I don’t drink differently...I just eat less and the calorie tracking helps me know exactly how much to eat each day so I don’t end up accidentally overeating all the time. 

• Like 4

This is going to sound pissy, but you lose weight but not overeating.  Believe me, I feel your pain.  I've got psoriatic arthritis too (for 31 years) and diabetes.  Serious sugar addiction.

My dh who is naturally thin would say this to me and seriously piss me off.  When I finally listened I lost the weight.  Keeping it off too.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Garga said:

Can you get an app?  My husband uses the Lose It! app on his phone.  I’ve been using it, too, but only need to lose 15-20 lbs, not 100lbs.  

The app simply has you count calories.  I’ve never done that before and it was pretty surprising how fast they can add up.  Every type of food is in that app.  If you want to see how many calories are in your Taco Bell Chicken Soft Taco, you type it in and there it is.  If you want to know how many calories are in your Kellogg’s cornflakes and milk, you type it in and there it is.

I use a kitchen scale for a few things because some things are only listed in ounces (like chicken or spaghetti noodles).  

I’ve been finding it almost effortless to lose the bit of weight I need to lose.  You tell the app what your weight is and what your goal is and it tells you how many calories you can eat each day.  As you eat foods, you plug them into the app and it subtracts what you’ve eaten from the total.

I haven’t changed much of what I eat, except that I realize I don’t have room for the junk food if I don’t want to go above my allowed calories for the day.  So, by the time I’m done eating my cereal and milk for breakfast, my leftover spaghetti for lunch, and my taco salad at dinner, there’s not enough left for a candy bar (my personal weakness.). I do eat 3 or 4 Milk Duds every day to satisfy the craving for candy, but then I stop.

However, I was only ever about 15-20 pounds from my goal weight, so my calories are pretty restricted.  If you have 100 to go, you’ll be allowed to eat a lot more than I do, so it’ll be easier as you start.  The more weight you lose, the fewer calories you can eat and the app adjusts as your weight is lost (you plug in your weight every day).  I’ve lost 10 pounds in the past 13 weeks (my goal is 1 pound a week) and as I said, it’s been effortless.  I don’t exercise, I don’t drink differently...I just eat less and the calorie tracking helps me know exactly how much to eat each day so I don’t end up accidentally overeating all the time. 

I’ve been looking at the app, and I don’t see how to assign a calorie amount to a number of steps.  Is there a way to do that?

8 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I’ve been looking at the app, and I don’t see how to assign a calorie amount to a number of steps.  Is there a way to do that?

You mean for exercise?  I don’t exercise (blush) so I don’t use that part. 

In the log area of the app, underneath where you log the food you eat is a spot to log exercise.  When you click on the plus next to exercise, it’ll offer you choices of the exercise you did that day.  You can click on walking and if you already know how many calories you burned by walking (form some other source that tells you that) you can log those calories as burned.  (Hard to explain...but when you get there, you’ll see how you can add the calories burned.  You’ll have to pick an amount of time walked and it’ll calculate the calories based on time and speed)

Does that help?  

Edited by Garga

17 minutes ago, Garga said:

You mean for exercise?  I don’t exercise (blush) so I don’t use that part. 

In the log area of the app, underneath where you log the food you eat is a spot to log exercise.  When you click on the plus next to exercise, it’ll offer you choices of the exercise you did that day.  You can click on walking and if you already know how many calories you burned by walking (form some other source that tells you that) you can log those calories as burned.  (Hard to explain...but when you get there, you’ll see how you can add the calories burned.  You’ll have to pick an amount of time walked and it’ll calculate the calories based on time and speed)

Does that help?  

Yes, I saw that.  Trouble is, I don’t have minutes.  I have steps.   But I’ll try to deal.

• Like 1

I use SparkPeople to track food and exercise. It syncs with my Fitbit as well as other trackers. 100 pounds is a marathon, not a sprint. (I have lost 23 pounds and have 77 to go).  Start with baby steps and continue to build a healthy lifestyle. Find what works for you. Not what works for someone else. It took me awhile to find out how much I can eat , what foods I can eat and what I cannot , as well as how much I should walk. Too simplistic advice has almost derailed me many times. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 7

I like the app Noom and the Lesley Sansone walking videos, largely because it doesn't take that long to walk a mile and she's cheerful (maybe too cheerful). I have an Apple watch and like tracking my miles and steps through the day and I like to set mini goals for the day and make sure I meet those. But it's all about what will work for you, so I would suggest trying a few things to see what helps.

• Like 1

I think it helps to spend a couple of weeks (minimum) tracking everything you eat, including measuring out/weighing everything so you have an accurate representation of how much a serving size is for various things, etc. I think that in the US, it's very easy to get a skewed sense of normal serving sizes/weights of foods & going through this process is a good way to relearn what constitutes a regular serving size/portion/etc.

Also, this post (from The Minimalists) really resonated with me & helps me stay on track. It talks about making decisions & going from "should" to "must".

I'm working on a smaller weight loss goal (& really addressing other health issues). What is working for me is a whole-foods, plant-based diet with low(er) fat/no oils. I know different approaches work for different people, so research, learn, & work to find what works best for you. You mentioned sugar being an issue, so I'll also mention the Go Sugar Free course -- perhaps it would be helpful if it's your kind of thing. (I did it a few years back & should probably go back through it again.... This is not an affiliate link & I'm just mentioning it as a resource in case you think this type of program would work for you.)

You can do it!

• Like 3

I started a Keto diet. I know its so cliche but I would eat carbs, not sugar as much but with my calories I was maintaining my obese lifestyle.  I was reading a cookbook sample on Amazon and she stated she started with reddit r/keto forum so I went there. Went to the FAQ, went to the Keto calculator, added the Carb Manager app onto my phone. https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com and the first week I lost 9 pounds. I haven't been under 200 since before my son was born (2017).  I do not come close to meeting their recommended fat, but I do eat less than 20 carbs per day, most days I'm at 1000 calories or less  and I actually drink water and also eat lots of protein.  I weigh all of my food and just cook for the family but just change a few things so I hit my macros.  Instead of barley pancakes with the kids I use coconut flour for mine (no syrup or sweeteners), Instead of tuna fish or salmon salad sandwiches I just put mine on a bed of spinach. I eat lots of egg scrambles, we have burgers just no buns for me, I chose vegetables over grains or potatoes and its been a pretty easy transition. I also eat Halo Top Ice cream, when they have a treat and its delicious.  Instead of our plethora of asian cuisine on rice I just use veggies or cauliflower rice.  

I have no gym in my town, I live in rural area in Alaska so walking means moose and bears plus a gravel road and lots of interesting people - I would have to take my kids with me and that isn't safe plus we winter means 5 hours of measurable light and snow... I needed to make a lifestyle change and I think this is it.  We have Amazon Prime and started doing some of the fitness videos ( Zumba, yoga, 15 minute work outs) this week. 

Good luck on your journey!

• Like 3

I'm 56 now. I was chubby from the time I was a young teenager, and by the time I hit my early 20's I was at least obese, probably morbidly obese. Right after my 25th birthday I decided if I was ever going to do anything about it I better do it then. I don't really know how much I lost because I'm not exactly sure of my starting weight. I know I lost over 64 pounds, and here I am 30 years later and for the most part I've kept it off. After all those years, two pregnancies that resulted in c-sections, a hysterectomy, menopause, a thyroid that whacked out and developing RA I weighed 7 pounds more this morning than I did on my wedding day over 29 years ago.

My advice is to just start. Do something positive. Don't overthink it, at least not to begin with. Eat a little less today and/or move a little more. The most important part for most people is what you put in your mouth. As the saying goes, you can't outrun your fork. For most people it really is that simple. And for another cliche--don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good (or however that goes). If you think you have to find the perfect way to eat or exercise (when in truth there is NO perfect way for either of those for every single body, no matter how hard some newly converted to this way of eating or that way of exercise will insist) then you're just setting yourself up for failure. So . . . do something positive today. Start. Build on it. Tweak as you go.

I lost and maintain by eating a mostly vegetarian, high carb/lower fat/lower to moderate protein diet. That's vegetarian as in lots of whole grains, beans, veggies, fruits, etc. I do try to eat some fish once or twice a week. I know it's not the flavor of the day by any means, but it worked and continues to work for me and I have zero interest in changing. I enjoy eating this way, which makes it as effortless as possible to keep up. And my body mostly seems to thrive on it. My blood sugar is good despite a horrible family history of diabetes. BP is fabulous. Even though I have RA, my CRP and ESR are always in the low normal range. My rheumy seems to think my diet is the reason my inflammation markers are so good (a vegetarian, Mediterranean type diet is the one he says most of his patients report the best results from).

But for weight loss my most important advice is to really pay attention to food. Figure out what makes your body feel good or bad an hour or three (or eight) after you eat. Pay attention to that more than what makes your mouth feel good in the moment. Figure out what calories are worth it to you. For example, although my mom loved to bake and I was raised in a home where home made cake or pies were always available, by paying careful attention after I started my weight loss journey I realized that I really didn't like the way eating sweets made me feel an hour or three afterwards. Nothing huge, just a slightly burny, not-quite-right tummy. Once I paid attention to that feeling rather than how good they tasted I was able to ignore them most of the time. I figured out butter on a baked potato is a huge waste of calories for me. A good potato tastes fabulous all by itself, or maybe with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Or if I really want something on it some salsa zings it up a bit, much yummier (to me) than butter, plus . . .more veggies. And because after paying really close attention for awhile I realized I actually like salty flavors much more than sweets.

Now, all that said -- I'll be the first to tell you that it's hard. Dang hard. Maintaining is even harder than losing. Much harder, because you get no reward of seeing the number on the scale go down or tight clothes getting looser. But you have to think of it as a lifestyle, an ongoing thing. Not a diet you go on, lose and then stop. I look at maintaining my weight/good eating habits and exercising like I do brushing and flossing my teeth--just something that has to be done.

I do realize I'm the exception much more than the rule as far as being able to lose weight and keep it off. In your shoes I'd absolutely consider the surgery route, as that certainly seems to provide the best chance of success for most people.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 13

7 hours ago, scrapbookbuzz said:

What I can think of off the top of my head is:

*Drink LOTS of water. The first 5-10 pounds you lose are going to be "water weight". This will help flush it out.
*Incorporate cinnamon into as much of your food as you can. You don't have to be able to taste it, you just need to consume it. 
Helps balance blood sugar.
*Before you go to bed at night and when you wake up in the morning, set your intention for the day. You're going to eat healthily so you can be healthy.
Keep this in mind each time you're "tempted." 
*IMPORTANT: don't "deprive" yourself. Let yourself have a sweet or some sort of treat once a week. Something to look forward to and you won't feel deprived.
Easier to stick with the plan that way.
*Avoid artificial sweeteners! They are no better for you than refined sugar and can actually be worse.

Hope that helps!

These are all great.  I'd add, when it comes to sweets, to change them to something that also has fat.  I have noticed when I drink something like soda or eat fruity candy things or sweet breads, I want more because I don't feel sated.  If I combine it with fat or protein, like sprinkling dark chocolate chips on a spoonful of natural peanut butter, I don't tend to seek out as much because my brain has learned that sweet=meeting this other need for fat and protein, which gives me a wider opportunity to find something healthy and still make the craving go away.  So my goal is to be intentional in meeting that craving, cutting out sugar from foods that hide it (roasted sunflower seeds, saltines, ketchup, soups, etc) and replacing them with ones that don't so I can choose when I eat sugar.  I don't want that choice made for me because my food is hiding it. 

Once the food issues are underway, you can focus on slowly doing what you can when it comes to exercise.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MaBelle said:

This is going to sound pissy, but you lose weight but not overeating.  Believe me, I feel your pain.  I've got psoriatic arthritis too (for 31 years) and diabetes.  Serious sugar addiction.

My dh who is naturally thin would say this to me and seriously piss me off.  When I finally listened I lost the weight.  Keeping it off too.

I get what you are saying, but I am often told I eat like a bird.  My issue is eating the wrong foods.  I don't really eat like a bird, but if we go out for a burger and fries, I can easily turn that into 2 full meals or sometimes even 3 depending on the size of the platter.  But it is a burger and fries!   Red Robin says that is a 1500 calorie meal.  So even half is 750.  

I know all of that intrinsically, but I hate chicken breast and broccoli.  I mean, I guess if it is cooked certain ways it is ok, but that takes time and I have gotten lazy.

I need to figure out something palatable that I can stick with.

I am following.  My goal for the summer is to find something that WORKS.  I am shorter than you are (4'11") and can't seem to find things that work.  Cutting back (WW style eating) doesn't work for me.  I was told to go low carb/high fat and I gained weight. 

But I think you and I have some of the same prob......I love sugar.  And for me, I also love fried foods.  I need to get back off that stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I don’t us that app but I use MyFitnessPal when I want to keep track of calories. It will connect to my Garmin app to track my steps and exercise. 

• Like 2

A friend who lost a great deal of weight (over a long period of time but it was a healthy gradual reduction) simply purchased smaller diameter plates so that she would eat smaller portions but it looked like she was eating the same amount. She said that was all she did. 

• Like 4

I struggle so I don’t have any real answers but I just wanted to say that 100 pounds is a tall order but you will feel fantastic if you lose half of that.

I am 5’4 as well. I have been over 200 a couple times and the difference in comfort level between say 200 and 185 is significant. I am around 185 now and I know that 175 will feel much better than 185. I also know that I will look pretty good and have a lot of clothing options around 160. Not skinny - but normal mom/grandma with cute clothes 🙂

I have 50 pounds to lose to get to some official ideal weight. But that might never happen. But losing ten will make a big difference. Losing twenty or twenty-five would make a huge difference and is a more attainable goal.

Im not trying to discourage you. 100 pounds is possible but I do want to encourage you that losing 30 pounds is worthwhile and would likely make you healthier and happier. It is worth losing some even if 100 seems insurmountable.

I go up and down and cannot maintain without a struggle. I have tried everything and keto or low carb works best for me but it is not magic like it is for some people. It is what I feel best on and what helps me maintain if not lose. I’m just happier on it than other approaches so I don’t give up or get super frustrated when the scale stays stuck. (Because I can still have cheese and red wine and I don’t feel too deprived with that on the menu).

• Like 11

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I get what you are saying, but I am often told I eat like a bird.  My issue is eating the wrong foods.  I don't really eat like a bird, but if we go out for a burger and fries, I can easily turn that into 2 full meals or sometimes even 3 depending on the size of the platter.  But it is a burger and fries!   Red Robin says that is a 1500 calorie meal.  So even half is 750.  

I know all of that intrinsically, but I hate chicken breast and broccoli.  I mean, I guess if it is cooked certain ways it is ok, but that takes time and I have gotten lazy.

Get a calorie counting app.  Because the calories matter.  In order to lose weight, I need to eat only 1222* calories a day.  So that one meal at Red Robin would be 300 over what I’m allowed for the entire day.  Even if you halve the meal, I haven’t eaten 750 calories in one sitting for the past 3 months because I can’t use up that many calories at one time.  I’d only have 450 left for the other two meals and snack for the day. 

*Remember that I said that I’m very close to my goal weight and am small now.  If you started with the calories app I use, you would be allowed to eat well over 1222 calories a day since you’d be just beginning.  But I just wanted to point out that by the time you get close to the weight you want to be, that half a meal at Red Robin would be waaaay too much food.  And the entire meal would be all you could eat for a day plus 1/3 of the next day.

And that’s part of why people get overweight.  They think, “I’m just eating a burger and fries and a coke.  What’s wrong with that?  I’m even only eating half of it so I’m doing the right thing!”  But if you want to be a smaller weight, that meal is all wrong.  It’s going to make you gain weight and then wonder why you’re overweight when you’re “halving” your meals.  You will honestly think you’re doing the right thing, when you’re actually not.  I’m sorry.  Our food in this country is pretty bad and people don’t even know it and then feel bad about themselves when they gain weight.  It can be eye opening to find out how much you’re supposed to eat and then compare it against what you actually do eat.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

I lost 30 pounds and have kept it off. 

1. I started with the Keto diet - only about two to three weeks but it curbed my sugar need entirely. It was much easier to eat healthier after the craving stopped. Plus the Keto diet gives you results fast so it is motivating. It is not, in my opinion, a healthy diet, at least not for me with my multiple food allergies. Do your research and get to know what your body does with different diets. My body does not do well with severe calorie restrictions; I stop losing weight if I hover around 1000 calories a day for too long (I am 5'10") so get to know what works for you. Gauge your energy level and the scale to help you determine it.

2. I swam 4 - 5 days a week for 45 minutes for 10 months. When I lost 20 pounds the pain foot was more mangeable so I could start walking again. This takes time - 2 hours a day for swimming with driving to the gym, showering after, etc.. - remind yourself - you are worth it. You deserve to feel your best. 

3. I started lifting weights 2 - 3 times a week about two months later. I think I would have added weights in earlier if I had known how beneficial it is to long term health and maintaining a healthy weight. This takes me about 40 minutes plus driving time to the gym.

4.  I try hard to hit my 40 minutes of aerobic workout on my fitbit 5 times a week. 

I did yoga for about 6 weeks, and I would love to do more again. I see so many benefits from it. 

It is hard. Keep telling yourself you are worth it. 

I know it is silly but park in the further parking spot. Go for a walk around the block, even just for 10 minutes. Get moving. I bought ankle weights to wear around the house while doing chores to make it more of a workout. The little things can make a difference. Get moving - you can do it; you are worth it. 

I also broke down to smaller goals. Think first to lose 20 pounds. Make that your focus. Reach that goal - maintain that weight for a month or two and then tackle the next 20. It will take time, but it will stay off if you do it slow and purposeful. You are making a major lifestyle change. It could take two years. 

Edited by lmrich
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I am following.  My goal for the summer is to find something that WORKS.  I am shorter than you are (4'11") and can't seem to find things that work.  Cutting back (WW style eating) doesn't work for me.  I was told to go low carb/high fat and I gained weight. 

But I think you and I have some of the same prob......I love sugar.  And for me, I also love fried foods.  I need to get back off that stuff.

One quick suggestion. Try grilled chicken thighs and mixed roasted vegetables, so much more flavor than chicken breasts and broccoli.

I know it doesn’t work for everyone, but I’ve found that for me, eliminating sugar completely is far easier than moderating. After a few weeks, the craving completely disappears and healthy foods taste so much better.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I struggle so I don’t have any real answers but I just wanted to say that 100 pounds is a tall order but you will feel fantastic if you lose half of that.

I am 5’4 as well. I have been over 200 a couple times and the difference in comfort level between say 200 and 185 is significant. I am around 185 now and I know that 175 will feel much better than 185. I also know that I will look pretty good and have a lot of clothing options around 160. Not skinny - but normal mom/grandma with cute clothes 🙂

I have 50 pounds to lose to get to some official ideal weight. But that might never happen. But losing ten will make a big difference. Losing twenty or twenty-five would make a huge difference and is a more attainable goal.

Im not trying to discourage you. 100 pounds is possible but I do want to encourage you that losing 30 pounds is worthwhile and would likely make you healthier and happier. It is worth losing some even if 100 seems insurmountable.

I go up and down and cannot maintain without a struggle. I have tried everything and keto or low carb works best for me but it is not magic like it is for some people. It is what I feel best on and what helps me maintain if not lose. I’m just happier on it than other approaches so I don’t give up or get super frustrated when the scale stays stuck. (Because I can still have cheese and red wine and I don’t feel too deprived with that on the menu).

10 hours ago, Math teacher said:

I am 57 years old, 5'4",  and weigh close to 230-can't believe I have gotten this big. I have a serious problem with sugar, but I know I need to stop eating it. I would like to lose the weight, regain my range of motion, and have mostly pain free joints. I do have arthritis that stems from psoriasis. I'm on a biologic, plus take meloxican for the pain. I have considered checking into weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure I qualify for that.

If you've lost that much, how did you do it?

I haven't lost that much, but I've lost approx. 20% of my body weight in 3 months  - unintentionally. I'm at a weight I haven't seen in 20 years.

The Wahl Protocol is an anti-inflammation diet, but that aside, I learned some really important things recently by switching. (Caveat: Wahls is NOT for weight loss.  It's goal is health, however, eating like this results in weight loss.  It's essentially keto with conditions.

-Tracking my food helps me understand how the macros (protein, fat, carbs) affect me.  This is VERY different than counting calories. Calorie counting is not as important as understanding your macros, IMO.  It is a totally different understanding and mindset!

-Carb Manager app - calculates EVERYTHING.  There are things that are hard to quantify, for example, Costco's smoothie mix.  It's kale, spinach, rasberries, strawberries.  Keto grade?  F!!!! Who knew?  Not only that, but I really need to track B12 and iron.  This does that.

-I aim for 65-75% fat in my diet.  That is REALLY hard.  However, it keeps me so full.  Dr. Wahl advocates for 12-16 hours between evening and morning meal, so when I do this and get lots of fat in the AM, I generally either fast through lunch, eating a cup of berries around mid-afternoon.

-She advocates no bananas, no apples, no pears, etc., and limit other fruit (essentially berries) to 1 cup a day.  This was REALLY hard too.  However, I realized every other time I've tried to eat healthy?  I've tried to fill the void.  If I don't eat sugar, OR a sugar substitute, then I am filling the cravings with FRUIT!  I never realized that.  I hate sugar subs so I'd just have fruit instead.  
So what that effectively did was keep me CRAVING!   It was a VERY hard three weeks when I went sugar free, including substitutes and fruit.  But now?  I'd LIKE to have fruit but I'm not craving it.  It's a big difference.

- Water - nothing else to drink

-Grain free, including rice

-Get enough protein BUT, recognize if you go really high on protein without supplying it with fuel, it will convert protein to glucose.  

-4 to 6 cups of vegetables/fruit minimum.   The goal is 1.5/2 cups of sulfurs, 1.5/2 cups of leafy greens, 1.5/2 cups of colors to include the fruits/berries.  Do not exceed 1 cup of fruit/berries.  (This is Level 3.  Level 1 is less restrictive, but it takes 6-9 cups of vegetables each day dependent on your current size.)

I use my carb manager graph as an illustration to see what I need.  I consider my fat intake as a goal to reach or *exceed.*  I see my protein as a goal to reach but NOT exceed.  I see my carb goal as one to stay under.

A friend counseled me that she read Dr. Wahl says, "100% for 100 days."  

I figure I can do 100 days, right?

I started Level 1 about 3 months ago, but started Level 3 about a month ago.  The first two weeks were really hard for me because of the fruit.  But when the cravings went away, it got easier.  Do I feel sad about food?  Sure.  Today is Olivia's birthday.  I'm making the cake.  I can't eat any of it, none of the sorbet, sherbet, etc.  BUT, I also know if I did? I'd pay for it because those horrid cravings would come back.  I've worked too hard to get this far to sabotage myself now.

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, Garga said:

Get a calorie counting app.  Because the calories matter.  In order to lose weight, I need to eat only 1222* calories a day.  So that one meal at Red Robin would be 300 over what I’m allowed for the entire day.  Even if you halve the meal, I haven’t eaten 750 calories in one sitting for the past 3 months because I can’t use up that many calories at one time.  I’d only have 450 left for the other two meals and snack for the day. 

*Remember that I said that I’m very close to my goal weight and am small now.  If you started with the calories app I use, you would be allowed to eat well over 1222 calories a day since you’d be just beginning.  But I just wanted to point out that by the time you get close to the weight you want to be, that half a meal at Red Robin would be waaaay too much food.  And the entire meal would be all you could eat for a day plus 1/3 of the next day.

And that’s part of why people get overweight.  They think, “I’m just eating a burger and fries and a coke.  What’s wrong with that?  I’m even only eating half of it so I’m doing the right thing!”  But if you want to be a smaller weight, that meal is all wrong.  It’s going to make you gain weight and then wonder why you’re overweight when you’re “halving” your meals.  You will honestly think you’re doing the right thing, when you’re actually not.  I’m sorry.  Our food in this country is pretty bad and people don’t even know it and then feel bad about themselves when they gain weight.  It can be eye opening to find out how much you’re supposed to eat and then compare it against what you actually do eat.

Oh, I know what to do overall, I just don't do it.   When I was thin (in my 20s, pre-kids) I would not even touch a french fry.  I ate (roughly) 1200 calories per day to maintain my weight.  I could go up to 1400 some, as long as it wasn't every day.  I needed to go to 1000-1100 per day to lose.   And I was hungry.  Like all the time.  I ate egg whites, salads, low cal dressings, low fat proteins, and non fat dairy products.  But I was thin.

I just am at the "screw it" stage and trying to get back to the caring and wanting it bad enough stage.

I was just responding to the eat less comment.  I don't eat tons, I just eat the wrong things, which makes it higher calories.

• Like 2

I need to lose at least 50+ pounds.  I am quite active.  I get 10,000 steps in a day almost every day, I get my 150 minutes of vigorous exercise in a week (this week I am at 249 already with 2 days left).

I just need better eating habits.  I need something though that is sustainable with a family.  I am a single mom of 3 with special needs and work almost full time during the school year.  I don't have 2 hours a day to go to the gym to swim (besides the fact I can't coordinate swimming and breathing) or work out.  I can do active things that involve my kids like walks, hikes, bike rides, and snowshoeing and cross country skiing in the winter.

If you want a behind the scenes partner in this, send me a message. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Oh, I know what to do overall, I just don't do it.   When I was thin (in my 20s, pre-kids) I would not even touch a french fry.  I ate (roughly) 1200 calories per day to maintain my weight.  I could go up to 1400 some, as long as it wasn't every day.  I needed to go to 1000-1100 per day to lose.   And I was hungry.  Like all the time.  I ate egg whites, salads, low cal dressings, low fat proteins, and non fat dairy products.  But I was thin.

I just am at the "screw it" stage and trying to get back to the caring and wanting it bad enough stage.

I was just responding to the eat less comment.  I don't eat tons, I just eat the wrong things, which makes it higher calories.

Oh, sorry.  I thought you were the OP, so I was responding accordingly.  

Because no one else has mentioned it, I'll recommend checking out Dr. Jason Fung's website and books, about intermittent fasting.

I am 5'6", and was just about 220lbs this winter; my goal weight is 160. I had a serious issue with sugar/bread/baked goods and eating late at night, after everyone else went to bed. I started eating 16:8, which is eating in a defined 8hr window (10am-6pm for me), which meant not eating after dinner and waiting a bit before breakfast. I started losing weight gradually, maybe 0.5lb per week. I've slowly added in 5:2 fasting, and have started losing a pound/week. My diet has naturaly improved; I'm eating less sugar/junk and choosing more whole foods. (I'm not going keto, I like to bake way too much!) It's been fairly gentle. I've lost 14lbs in the last 11 weeks. I haven't changed my activity levels much, if at all.

Dr. Fung has many recommendations for different types of intermittent fasting, and it is possible to lose much more weight more quickly. He's definitely worth a read.

Good luck, and be gentle with yourself.

• Like 6

Think small.  If you think 100 pounds to lose, that sounds so intimidating.  I like what teachermom2834 says above.  Start with a small goal, and aim to keep it off.  If you start small, and achiever your goal, you are more likely to continue.

About a year ago I was 209 and 5' 3.5".  I really needed to lose weight, but found it intimidating for several reasons, the main one being that we eat as a family, and I wasn't going to eat different foods from everyone else.  So what to do?

I came up with my 4 x 10 plan.  That was a goal to lose 10 pounds each year for 4 years.  While slow, it would make a difference in the long run.  And I could convince myself that it was possible to lose 10 pounds, and that's all I focused on at first.  Ten pounds.  Further my goal was to keep off anything I lost, so that even if I only lost 5 pounds, it would be an improvement.  And I had to play a mental game with myself.  As soon as I hear I can't have something, I want it that much more.  So I couldn't deny myself anything, either.

So what did I do? Since my DH has always plated food at our house, I asked him to put a tiny bit less on my plate.  I cut way back on desserts which was easy for me because I'm not into sweets as much as salty.   So I'd recommend that, too -- find something that's not as important to you, and don't waste calories on it.  For my salt fix, I'd still have potato chips a couple of times a week, but I'd have a half serving.  If I was truly hungry and needed a snack, I'd try to have a small snack.  I'd take out what I wanted to eat and put everything away so I wasn't tempted to grab for more.  Most of the time I'd end up being satisfied.  I'd always give away stuff on my plate if one of my boys wanted seconds and there were none.  I'd also have a conversation with myself every time I did contemplate something like a piece of chocolate.  Do I really want it?  Or am I grabbing it out of habit?  More than half the time I could convince myself I didn't really want it.  But when I did want it, I'd eat it and enjoy it with no regrets.   All of these were little tiny steps but they added up to quite a few calories over the course of a month. 

So now it's about a year later and I've lost 33 pounds!  Way more than I thought I'd have lost at this time.  But it got easier and easier, without me trying.  My body very slowly got used to eating less, and then it didn't even want more.  I can't believe that now I'm often full after one piece of pizza, rather than two or three.  I just don't want more, truly.  I'm not denying myself, I just don't want it.  Everything has changed.  

Now I've hit a bit of a plateau, so maybe I will have to change things up a bit.  I haven't been able to exercise at all due to end-stage arthritis in my knee; I'm having a total knee replacement on Tuesday, so I'm not going to worry about the eating too much for a couple of weeks.  All the nurses and my caseworker say that I must eat a semi-substantial snack everytime I take medicine for pain, or I will regret it.  So I'm prepared to gain back a few pounds but I'll get right back on it when I'm up and moving again.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 8

I lost 120 pounds and have kept most of it off for 3 years so far. It’s a bit of a struggle. That last 20 pounds comes and goes, but I hang on to the 100 pounds, because it’s so important to me.

I use the My Score Plus app. For $25 a year it duplicates all the WW programs. I also use the KetoDiet app. I think it was $25 for a lifetime subscription. I switch back and forth every few months because my body adapts to one way of eating over time. 

My advise is just set small goals and take it one day at a time. Big goals are too overwhelming and success makes me want to do more and go harder. I LOVE to WIN!

I started out just keeping a family member company through a health crisis. Next thing you know, I’m down 120 pounds. It took 2 years, and lots of peaks and valleys, but it did happen. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

People often mistake how birds eat. They can easily eat 1/4 to 1/2 their own body weight in a day. At 230 lbs, that would be at a minimum 57 1/2 lbs of food a day for you. I highly doubt that is what you're doing. WHAT you eat makes a huge difference. For example, a pound of angel food cake has 1770 calories and will very negatively affect your whole body. A pound of veggies has about 294 calories and you will get much more benefit out of those. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, MaBelle said:

It is more than calories in, calories out.  Where did the calories come from?  Studies are demonstrating this.  Additives in processed foods affect the body's ability to metabolize it.

I can eat as much "real" food as I want, as long as I'm eating zero sugar (artificial/substitute sweeteners are just as bad.  They mess with your brain's ability to detect satiation.). And low carb. When I was meticulous about this, weight melted off, without trying.  I was in better shape than I was in high school.

Sugar also increases appetite.  Less sugar intake,  you naturally eat less.

Processed foods are among the worst offenders.  Even things you would expect to have no sugar,  do.  Manufactures do this ecause people will eat more. 

• Like 4

I'm right there with you guys - I'm 5' 3" (ish) and have about 50 lbs to lose. I've lost almost 20 lbs since January, by cutting way back on sugar and carbs. I hate it, to be honest. My preferred way of eating is low fat/vegetarian with yummy whole grains. I have currently stalled out for the past 6 weeks at a weight my body has wanted to stay at every time I've been here, which is extra frustrating. I also try to follow IF and eat between 12-8pm or 11-7, depending on the day. Following and will be happy to join a group!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

My advise is just set small goals and take it one day at a time. Big goals are too overwhelming and success makes me want to do more and go harder. I LOVE to WIN!

Yes, this!  

I lost 50 pounds and maintained for a long time by making small changes until they became habits and then moving on to the next change.  For example, I used to have two giant bowls of cereal for breakfast every morning, which I switched to two smaller bowls, then one smaller bowl, and then I switched to something different.  Or I'd have three pieces of pizza, then two pieces, then one piece, then I made a cheese omelette using egg whites instead.  Eventually, I couldn't even remember the way I used to eat because the changes were so gradual and I didn't feel deprived.  

I ended up gaining some weight back last year after having major abdominal surgery, which forced me to have to change my drastically change my diet.  Now I have to eat low fiber/low residue so no more fiber-rich foods that would fill me up for minimal calories and that has been a challenge.  But I'm not giving up and will keep tweaking things until I figure out what works.  

• Like 2

Keep in mind, that for some people who are morbidly obese (which 100 pounds overweight is), their entire metabolism is different. Not only do they burn fewer calories than a person who is naturally slender, but they also are flat out hungrier than a natural slim person. Their hunger hormones, especially after dieting for a while, are stronger. 

All the advice to "just not overeat" and "try counting calories" is great, but OP, if that doesn't work, or you've tried it all before, please do speak to a specialist. Obesity is a chronic disease, and it is progressive. You may very well be one of the few who manages to do it without medical help, but if you can't, or just don't want to, that's okay and not a moral failing. Bariatric doctors are an amazing resource, and there is no shame in using them if you think you would benefit. 

For me, I drank water, counted calories, did Jenny Craig, did WW a half dozen times, ran several miles a day, got a physically active job, tried atkins, tried paleo, was vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for 2 years, etc etc. The only thing that gave me freedom, that actually helped me have control over my weight, and my food, was surgery. I know that isn't the case for everyone, but I think very often the message is "if you just eat less you will be fine." the truth is, sometimes that "less" is less than the person finds sustainable. And they shouldn't have to live miserable lives of hunger to be a healthy weight. 

• Like 21

39 minutes ago, DawnM said:

You should start a group on here so we can all share what we are doing!

There actually is a weight loss accountability group. I've lost just under 25lbs since February and the other women are part of the reason why. They are incredibly motivating, understanding, and have helped me through many uncontrollable binges.

• Like 3

Just now, hjffkj said:

There actually is a weight loss accountability group. I've lost just under 25lbs since February and the other women are part of the reason why. They are incredibly motivating, understanding, and have helped me through many uncontrollable binges.

Hm, I was part of one but there haven't been any posts in over a year.  Which one is the one you are talking about?

• Like 1

I started this year at 255, the heaviest I've ever been. Most of my adult life I was near 180. Still overweight for being 5'4" but not nearly as bad as where I am now. 

Today I'm 231 and it has not been easy getting here. I can't count calories because I know I will not sustain that habit long term. So, what I've been doing is making the conscious effort to do a few things every day.

1. I eat green veggies at every single meal and they take up more than half my plate.

2. Lunch is always a salad but an incredibly filling salad with protein(usually chicken thighs) and fat.

3. I don't eat sandwiches or have bread with dinner or breakfast. Bread can fill me up but it never keeps me full for long so I snack more when I eat bread. 

4. I drink a ton of water. And 95% of the time black coffee is my only other drink. The other 5% of the time it is alcohol but I don't drink at home anymore.

5. I still eat the foods I enjoy, like ice cream, fried chicken, donuts, etc. But I really evaluate before and after if I really loved it or if it was just satisfying a craving. I am learning what things I really love and what I just eat because my brain screams at me to. It has helped overtime to say no to my brain because I have a better idea of what I really love.

6. I walk at least a mile a day. But usually 2. Other exercise is hard on my joints so I do ur sparingly.

All this has really helped me learn what foods I love, how food makes me feel, and I finally am not hungry ALL the time. But I still have a long way to go

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I started this year at 255, the heaviest I've ever been. Most of my adult life I was near 180. Still overweight for being 5'4" but not nearly as bad as where I am now. 

Today I'm 231 and it has not been easy getting here. I can't count calories because I know I will not sustain that habit long term. So, what I've been doing is making the conscious effort to do a few things every day.

1. I eat green veggies at every single meal and they take up more than half my plate.

2. Lunch is always a salad but an incredibly filling salad with protein(usually chicken thighs) and fat.

3. I don't eat sandwiches or have bread with dinner or breakfast. Bread can fill me up but it never keeps me full for long so I snack more when I eat bread. 

4. I drink a ton of water. And 95% of the time black coffee is my only other drink. The other 5% of the time it is alcohol but I don't drink at home anymore.

5. I still eat the foods I enjoy, like ice cream, fried chicken, donuts, etc. But I really evaluate before and after if I really loved it or if it was just satisfying a craving. I am learning what things I really love and what I just eat because my brain screams at me to. It has helped overtime to say no to my brain because I have a better idea of what I really love.

6. I walk at least a mile a day. But usually 2. Other exercise is hard on my joints so I do ur sparingly.

All this has really helped me learn what foods I love, how food makes me feel, and I finally am not hungry ALL the time. But I still have a long way to go

Sigh, my gut has a hard time with a lot of vegetables.  I take a probiotic, I do what I can, but high fiber and I don't get along well, and cruciferous vegetables.....well, let's just say I have a job I would like to keep!

• Like 1

You might like to read Atomic Habits, which is about making small, sustainable, but non-negotiable behavior changes and improving in tiny increments.

And then you will want a way to keep track not merely of your weight (which at times may stall and frustrate you) but of your consistent actions, to affirm that you are doing the work steadfastly. You might like a tool like the Habitica app to encourage you to keep working--I have found it useful for my own behavior. You can identify some commitments you will keep every day without fail (called Dailies), other positive things you will do as you're able OR negative things you'll avoid doing (Habits), and also one-time actions (To Dos) like making an appointment. Color changes show how well you've been doing with each item, and there are in-game rewards if that motivates you.

Sometimes people need flexibility, or they will rebel; others need hard and fast rules, or they will gradually backslide. Which is your tendency? I'm in the latter group and I don't do well with guilt, so I need to think like "I don't eat ____ any more," or "Actually, I don't really enjoy ___ the way other people do," not "I shouldn't...."

On the other hand, if you are good with obeying authority, you might choose "My doctor doesn't want me eating any ___."

Or if you're religious, "My body is a work of Creation in God's image and likeness. Let me be too thankful today to bring home a bag of Oreos when I have been blessed with a budget that can provide any vegetable I want."

Or if you need flexibility, "If I still want that on Friday, I'll buy it then."

Whatever works for you, you'll want a way to keep it in your mind each day. People tend to ignore a note after a few days once they become habituated to it, so it should be something dynamic or interactive (which is why I like the app).

Congratulations on your commitment to your health! Best wishes in finding all the resources you need.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Keep in mind, that for some people who are morbidly obese (which 100 pounds overweight is), their entire metabolism is different. Not only do they burn fewer calories than a person who is naturally slender, but they also are flat out hungrier than a natural slim person. Their hunger hormones, especially after dieting for a while, are stronger. 

All the advice to "just not overeat" and "try counting calories" is great, but OP, if that doesn't work, or you've tried it all before, please do speak to a specialist. Obesity is a chronic disease, and it is progressive. You may very well be one of the few who manages to do it without medical help, but if you can't, or just don't want to, that's okay and not a moral failing. Bariatric doctors are an amazing resource, and there is no shame in using them if you think you would benefit. 

For me, I drank water, counted calories, did Jenny Craig, did WW a half dozen times, ran several miles a day, got a physically active job, tried atkins, tried paleo, was vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for 2 years, etc etc. The only thing that gave me freedom, that actually helped me have control over my weight, and my food, was surgery. I know that isn't the case for everyone, but I think very often the message is "if you just eat less you will be fine." the truth is, sometimes that "less" is less than the person finds sustainable. And they shouldn't have to live miserable lives of hunger to be a healthy weight. 

I agree with this. 

I think it’s good to jump in there and start trying a few things.  But if nothing works, then it’s ok to say, “That didn’t work for me and I’m doing something else.”  

But the first step is to pick something to try and to try it.  See how your body reacts and go from there.  For me, counting calories works, for other people counting calories is a waste of time, but eating X foods works, and for some their metabolism isn’t going to respond to anything so surgery works. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Garga said:

I agree with this. 

I think it’s good to jump in there and start trying a few things.  But if nothing works, then it’s ok to say, “That didn’t work for me and I’m doing something else.”  

But the first step is to pick something to try and to try it.  See how your body reacts and go from there.  For me, counting calories works, for other people counting calories is a waste of time, but eating X foods works, and for some their metabolism isn’t going to respond to anything so surgery works. 

Yes. 

Also, I admit this whole thing makes me a bit cranky. Telling someone who is morbidly obese, "have you tried not overeating" is, to me, like telling someone who is depressed, "have you tried being happier?" I mean, sure, there will be some people who have gone years, possibly decades, and it didn't occur to them to try eating less, or just not being depressed, but I think for most people, by the time they get into the morbidly obese or clinically depressed point, it's safe to assume they've tried the super obvious stuff like, eating less or "being happier". Same as telling someone with anxiety, "have you tried not worrying so much?" 

Not saying any particular person or post falls into the category, but some steer real close. Just something to consider. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Oh,and there are some medications that may help, aside from surgery.I won't lie, one of the benefits of my ADHD medication is that it is also used for binge eating disorder, and it really does give me control over my food. Much less "head hunger". 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes. 

Also, I admit this whole thing makes me a bit cranky. Telling someone who is morbidly obese, "have you tried not overeating" is, to me, like telling someone who is depressed, "have you tried being happier?" I mean, sure, there will be some people who have gone years, possibly decades, and it didn't occur to them to try eating less, or just not being depressed, but I think for most people, by the time they get into the morbidly obese or clinically depressed point, it's safe to assume they've tried the super obvious stuff like, eating less or "being happier". Same as telling someone with anxiety, "have you tried not worrying so much?" 

Not saying any particular person or post falls into the category, but some steer real close. Just something to consider. 

Unfortunately, I do happen to know a number of morbidly obese people (and a few with garden variety overweight issues) who have done nothing to try to lose weight.  I know others who have tried different things that didn’t work, but I have been very surprised at the number of people I know who haven’t tried losing weight, yet are upset with their weight.  So, if someone is asking, “What can I do to lose weight,” I think it’s ok to say, “Have you started at the beginning yet?  Have you been eating less?”  If they say, “Duh, yes!” Then you can move on.  But they might say, “Well,  not really...I guess I should start doing that...”.

It’s just a starting point for me IF someone asks.  If they don’t ask, I don’t tell them anything because it’s just rude.  🙂

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Sigh, my gut has a hard time with a lot of vegetables.  I take a probiotic, I do what I can, but high fiber and I don't get along well, and cruciferous vegetables.....well, let's just say I have a job I would like to keep!

I'm listening in. I often get one part of weight loss success okay only to have something change or be drastically different that undermines it (developing food intolerances!!! to what was working is a real drag, for instance), and I am back to square one. But I did want to comment on this. Sometimes, it's not the veggies. I used to not tolerate a lot of veggies, particularly raw ones, but after I went gluten free, I rarely get gassy from veggies of any kind. Go figure. You might find out it's something else that is causes some gut issues, and then your gut is not digesting the veggies well. Also, I have heard that using digestive enzymes (broader blend than what is in Beano) is helpful, but I haven't tried that. Good luck! 

16 hours ago, Garga said:

Thanks-I'll check into it.