Menu

Any experiences with lithotripsy for kidney stone?

SeaConquest

I have an 11mm kidney stone that is too big to pass -- my first, and possibly related to the gastric bypass that I had 18 months ago. I see urology on Friday, but the ER said that I will likely need to have lithotripsy. What has your experience been with this? I am desperately afraid of the terrible pain that you always hear about! Did they pulverize the thing to death or did you still have to pass noticeable stone? Thanks for any info.

Dh has had a lot of kidney stones and probably 9 procedures for removing them.  Lithotripsy alone did not work, but 2  times he had anoher procedure with lithotripsy.  The urologist pulverized the stones to death and he had no pain afterwards.  I don't even think he took any pain meds.

• Like 1

I've had 25+ kidney stones, but have never needed a procedure to break them down. Just wanted to reassure you that even whole stones don't really hurt when they pass out of the body. It just feels weird if the stones are big. If they are tiny pieces, you might not even know you passed them until you see them in the little strainer they give you to pee in.

The really painful part is when large stones start moving out of the kidney, and maybe you won't have that, if they are pulverized first. Sometimes stones can sit around for a long time in your kidney before they start to hurt. If they do cause pain, there is effective medication available.

Hope it goes well!

• Like 1

The most painful thing I've ever had is gall stones. Second most painful is kidney stones. Third most painful is abscessed tooth. Fourth most painful is drug free child birth.

They were getting me lined up for lithotripsy but I was living overseas at the time and I would have to be air evac'ed to Hawaii for the procedure. I had a "hat" to pee in for the interim and thankfully I passed it before they could get everything lined up to send me out for the lithotripsy. Like Mercy said, passing it is a lot less painful than it moving down the ureters. Once it enters the bladder, the pain subsides a bit and passing it through the urethra is not any worse than a urinary tract infection except that it stops hurting once it passes. Mine was 10-11mm the first time too, I can't remember exactly it was 10+ years ago and I've had more since (having one does something like double your chances of having more).

When I feel that familiar uncomfortable pain in the flank of my back start to come on, I begin guzzling massive quantities of liquids (mostly water) like my life depends on it. Cranberry juice is helpful to keep infection from compounding the pain. I also start popping cranberry tablets with every meal for the same reason. I've been able to pass every kidney stone I've had at home this way and avoid a lithotripsy. If you pass it, don't forget to save the stone. They can analyze it and possibly figure out what caused  it and how to prevent future stones or see if you need more testing for other ailments that can cause kidney stones. Mine are related to my thyroid issues for instance so other than staying on top of my thyroid issues, there isn't a lot I can do to prevent them. But my first kidney stone was one of the first clues that my thyroid was on the fritz.

• Like 2

Thank you for all this feedback. I really appreciate it. I am terrible about drinking water and was feeling under the weather right before I went to the ER, so I drank even less than usual, which, we know didn't help. They gave me an rx for Flomax, but I didn't fill it because I was afraid that that would cause the stone to move into my ureter, and the last thing I wanted was for it to get stuck there. So, I just figured I'd leave it alone until they could blast it apart. 

I don't know if it is old age or the bypass causing it because this is my first stone (I am 44). I know that stones are one of the potential side effects because we make more oxalates post-bypass, so I am blaming the surgery. I guess I will just have to be more careful with my diet and water intake from now on. I also started taking Chanca Piedra, a peruvian herb which had good reviews on Amazon and some decent research on PubMed to back up the claims re helping with stones. 

Thank you again for sharing your experiences.

It was awful. I was in so much pain. Once the painkillers from the center wore off, I was down on my knees screaming in pain. My husband had gone somewhere I don't know where. Apparently, he took the painkillers to the pharmacy and they told him it would be an 8 hr wait and he said fine and just left. I have no clue what he was thinking. Felt like someone was burning me on my sides...not as if I had been burned but as if they were burning me. It was just awful. And then I ended up rehospitalized.