Menu

What methods are you changing for this school year?

I will have a 3rd grader, 1st grader and 3 year old and I'm changing things up in hopes that our time will be simpler and less stressful.

1.  I will write the 3rd grader's entire days assignments in a notebook so he can see what he has left.
  2. We will have longer terms and longer breaks (we school year around).
  3. I use PDFs and a proclick and will print an entire term instead of the max a spine can hold so we can feel how much we have left in our hand.
  4. We will have a second meeting time. In the morning we get up, meet at the table, read the Bible, go over our art piece of the day, go over our new recitation for the week and sing. Now, after quiet time we will get up, meet at the table, read our geography or science, read our literature, discuss and do applicable activities. I always read content at lunch but I want more time now.

What are you changing?

• Like 3

1. I am building history units.  I want to go deeper and wider in a few chosen topics and connect them rather than speed through chapters in SOTW4.
2.  I'm creating a 4-day/36 week lesson plan to print all at once.  If we move ahead, we move ahead, but I want a definite stopping point for each subject where we can choose to quit for the year if we want or do more hands on learning.

• Like 2

• I'm using Homeschool Planet to generate the weekly checklist instead of making it myself.
  • I'm adding a weekly song to listen to during lunch.
  • I'm adding a Friday recitation time in which DS should be able to sum up what he has learned.
  • Like 4

I am doing the same history with all four that are left.  Due to very different ages/personalities I tended to only pair off for subjects rather than doing it family style.  But we have soo many good US history books that I want them all to hear and the dyslexic boy won't get around to reading almost all of them on his own.  So I and the kids will be reading to each other.  Older girls will also read some other books and create some output.  Boys will be mostly oral discussion.  I am also adding in a lot more videos in all subjects.  I think it will be a good year if I can stay consistent.  

• Like 2

I am switching to a mostly a “boxed” curriculum next year. I never thought I’d do that but I need a year of things basically planned out for me. I need schedules the kids can follow on their own at times, or that DH can pull out and see what needs to be done and make sure it happens. Older two will be doing MFW AHL, younger two will be doing ECC. We’ll also be using mostly MUS, Apologia General Science, and LLATL. All of those are planned and scheduled out, open and go. The only thing I have to figure out is Science for my oldest. She wants to do horticulture so I’ll have to come up with a plan for that. I’m going to use the summer to plan it and then write out the schedule in the student guide for AHL so she knows exactly what to do each day. 

The other major change is that we aren’t doing any school at all this summer. Usually we keep math going at half speed and another subject or two. This year we aren’t doing anything until mid August. 

• Like 3

We’re looking at having a fully unschooled year. I’ve always been pretty child-led, but required at least some particular stuff. DD is accelerated by several years at this point, we just moved to an area full of great field trip possibilities, and she and I are both comfortable with a very extended break from her usual academics. She is electing to take an online science class, a weekly day of enrichment classes locally (art, music, PE, chess), a weekly day of forest/survivalist education. She’ll add in other things as she chooses, and she’s a pretty academic kid so her unschooling will probably still cover a lot of academic ground.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of having a "heavy" school day on Monday and having the days get progressively lighter throughout the week.  It's what ends up happening anyway.  🤣  So Monday would have video lessons, lessons on new material, and longer readings.  The rest of the week would be spend completing workbook pages, writing assignments, review, and finishing what didn't get done on Monday.  Hopefully by Friday, we'd be down to a math lesson and  Latin review/quiz.  Then maybe we could fit in some fun extras or take a field trip.  But I will also have two high school students next year, and this schedule seems less do-able for that age.  I'm still toying with this idea. 

• Like 3