Menu

Can anyone look up this food allergy thing for me?

Katy

Science Daily has this new article on probiotics that reverse food allergies.  But the summary doesn't list which probiotics, and when I googled Nature Medicine, where it was published, I only found one strain of bacteria listed in the public article (not commercially available).  If you have library access to Nature Medicine and can look up which strains reverse food allergies in mice I'd be very appreciative.  Even if none are presently available, I'd like to set a google alert to buy them when they do come on the market.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190624111545.htm

• Like 2

Katy, that was an interesting article.  I've been looking at research over the past 20 years, related to this.
What these bacteria do, is to make 3 different types, of what are called 'Short Chain Fatty Acids' (SCFAs).
Which are: 'Acetate, Butyrate and Propionate'.
These SCFAs, increase the production of what are called 'T-regs'.
T-regs are important part of the immune system.  Where they will come in and prevent the immune system from going into action.
SCFAs, also inhibit the production of Th1 and Th2 Cells, which generate the 'immune response'.

Though if their is a 'deficiency of these SCFAs'?   Then the Immune System will become Over-active'.  As it has significantly reduced ability,  to regulate the Immune System.
It has been associated with a whole range of 'Auto-Immune Disorders'.
But the solution to this, is for people to take action. To support the various types of Bacteria, that make these SCFAs.
These Bacteria, grow in the Large Intestine.
What they rely on, is being regularly supplied with 'Soluble Fibre'.
This is a type of Fibre that absorbs water and swells up.   But isn't digested.
When it arrives the Large Intestine,  these Bacteria use this Soluble Fibre to grow in.  In a Fermentation process, that produces these SCFAs.

Most people already have these 'types of Bacteria' in their Intestine.   But aren't consuming enough 'Soluble Fibre' to support the Bacteria.
Which can result in Allergies, and various other Auto-Immune Disorders.
But the solution to this, is to increase the daily intake of 'Soluble Fibres'.  To around 20 grams a day.

• Like 2

I’m traveling and about to take off but the probiotic might be made by ClostraBio. If so, their site might have more info.

Btw, fasting for 24 hours also has a tremendously good effect on gut lining. MIT has done some mice studies. Might want to search for that also. (Fasting affects  betahydroxybutyrate, iirc.)

Pretty cool stuff.

Edited by BeachGal
Mind fog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

I’m traveling and about to take off but the probiotic might be made by ClostraBio. If so, their site might have more info.

Btw, fasting for 24 hours also has a tremendously good effect on gut lining. MIT has done some mice studies. Might want to search for that also. (Fasting improves populations of betahydroxybutyrate, iirc.)

Pretty cool stuff.

Yes, I've heard multiple anecdotes of people who healed food allergies with long term fasting.  I've never managed to go more than 10 days.  And since kids, maybe three days.  Sigh.

• Like 1

Though finding th1e particular strains of bacteria, is of secondary importance?
The primary concern, is to provide an environment where they can grow.
These particular bacteria, will grow in the large intestine.
But crucially, they need a certain type of 'starch'.  Called Resistant Starch, which is soluble (soaks up water).
Which is a non-digestible type of Starch. That turns in Gel, with water.
The Bacteria cause a Fermentation process in the Gel.
Which in turn, produces the relevant substances of Butyrate, Propionate and Acetate.
Though if this Resistant Starch isn't adequately supplied in the diet
Then these Bacteria growth will be extremely limited.

These Bacteria are already present in most people.  But in low numbers.
So that increasing the daily intake of Resistant Starch.  To around 20 mgs a day.
Is the real solution.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, geodob said:

Though finding th1e particular strains of bacteria, is of secondary importance?
The primary concern, is to provide an environment where they can grow.
These particular bacteria, will grow in the large intestine.
But crucially, they need a certain type of 'starch'.  Called Resistant Starch, which is soluble (soaks up water).
Which is a non-digestible type of Starch. That turns in Gel, with water.
The Bacteria cause a Fermentation process in the Gel.
Which in turn, produces the relevant substances of Butyrate, Propionate and Acetate.
Though if this Resistant Starch isn't adequately supplied in the diet
Then these Bacteria growth will be extremely limited.

These Bacteria are already present in most people.  But in low numbers.
So that increasing the daily intake of Resistant Starch.  To around 20 mgs a day.
Is the real solution.

I actually eat a lot of resistant starch, it hasn't made a difference in my allergies, though I do have more vivid dreams.  I'm guessing because of antibiotics that triggered the allergy in the first place.

2 hours ago, Katy said:

I actually eat a lot of resistant starch, it hasn't made a difference in my allergies, though I do have more vivid dreams.  I'm guessing because of antibiotics that triggered the allergy in the first place.

Do you eat a lot of inulin (soluble fiber) as well? Most people in the US are not getting nearly enough. Jerusalem artichokes are one of the best sources. Jicama, too. Onions, garlic, asparagus are pretty decent. It’s best to start with a small amount and gradually increase. Inulin can make people extremely gassy initially. You can also buy powdered products.

Have you tried a good quality probiotic like Visbiome, which has been used in quite a few studies, to see if that helps? You can buy capsules or sachets of powder. For kids, you could mix the powder into something cold that they eat. Yogurt or a drink maybe. Just has to be cold.

My DD14 has FPIES which is a disease that causes multiple igg food allergies, rather than the typical ige food allergies.  There has been some research done that shows that the b. Infantis probiotic strain in helping kids with FPIES.   There is also some research out there that shows that some strains of probiotics make food allergies worse. 

I order just b. Infantis from GutPro. We have used it for several years. At first I only gave her 1 tiny grain of probiotic and slowly gave her more over time. After about 3 years she is now taking 1/8 of a teaspoon. Her health has slowly gotten better as well. She is more stable, her allergic reactions are less intense, and she is no longer losing safe foods.  

Putting her on this probiotic has been the only thing I have tried that actually has helped. I researched extensively, tried everything under the sun to help her, wasting so much money. 

This company does sell another probiotic that has more strains, but is very gentle and is good for those who are sensitive to histamine. 

I know my post isn't directly answering your question, but I thought I might share my personal experience in case it helps. 

https://www.corganic.com/collections/supplements/products/gutpro-infant

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aaplank said:

My DD14 has FPIES which is a disease that causes multiple igg food allergies, rather than the typical ige food allergies.  There has been some research done that shows that the b. Infantis probiotic strain in helping kids with FPIES.   There is also some research out there that shows that some strains of probiotics make food allergies worse. 

I order just b. Infantis from GutPro. We have used it for several years. At first I only gave her 1 tiny grain of probiotic and slowly gave her more over time. After about 3 years she is now taking 1/8 of a teaspoon. Her health has slowly gotten better as well. She is more stable, her allergic reactions are less intense, and she is no longer losing safe foods.  

Putting her on this probiotic has been the only thing I have tried that actually has helped. I researched extensively, tried everything under the sun to help her, wasting so much money. 

This company does sell another probiotic that has more strains, but is very gentle and is good for those who are sensitive to histamine

I know my post isn't directly answering your question, but I thought I might share my personal experience in case it helps. 

Total aside here...does FPIES cause sensitivity to histamine? I have only heard cursory stuff about FPIES (sounds like kids-only), but I have some really serious issues with intolerances and such that are not IgE, and it's been a frustrating ride. I seem to be super, super sensitive to histamine or something of that nature. Anyway, looking into global causes of my issues (like mast cell stuff) has not yielded much information. Anyway, this phrase in the context you are using it has my attention. So does your statement about your daughter "losing safe foods." That's what my life feels like right now.

2 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Do you eat a lot of inulin (soluble fiber) as well? Most people in the US are not getting nearly enough. Jerusalem artichokes are one of the best sources. Jicama, too. Onions, garlic, asparagus are pretty decent. It’s best to start with a small amount and gradually increase. Inulin can make people extremely gassy initially. You can also buy powdered products.

Have you tried a good quality probiotic like Visbiome, which has been used in quite a few studies, to see if that helps? You can buy capsules or sachets of powder. For kids, you could mix the powder into something cold that they eat. Yogurt or a drink maybe. Just has to be cold.

Ummmm, that's not something I've really tracked.  I love jicama, but it's seasonal here in the midwest.  I love garlic and asparagus and eat garlic daily, asparagus a few times a week, even in the winter when I get a stir fry veggie mix with asparagus several times a week.  Onions cause bad stomach cramping and diarrhea if I eat too much of them, so I try to limit them to about a tablespoon of raw onion or a quarter cup of cooked onion per day.  I may have a fructose intolerance.

54 minutes ago, aaplank said:

This company does sell another probiotic that has more strains, but is very gentle and is good for those who are sensitive to histamine. 

Thanks, I'll look into that!

On 6/29/2019 at 1:09 PM, kbutton said:

Total aside here...does FPIES cause sensitivity to histamine? I have only heard cursory stuff about FPIES (sounds like kids-only), but I have some really serious issues with intolerances and such that are not IgE, and it's been a frustrating ride. I seem to be super, super sensitive to histamine or something of that nature. Anyway, looking into global causes of my issues (like mast cell stuff) has not yielded much information. Anyway, this phrase in the context you are using it has my attention. So does your statement about your daughter "losing safe foods." That's what my life feels like right now.

FPIES does not cause a sensitivity to histamine, however, a lot of kids with FPIES also have many corresponding ige allergies, mast cell issues, and histamine intolerances.  Also, FPIES doesn't just affect babies and kids, but adults also.  it is a very new and unresearched diagnosis, so most doctors don't know anything about FPIES.  Those of us living in the trenches, have more knowledge and experience than most doctors.  

As far as "losing safe foods" go, when my dd was 6 she started having "vomiting to hypovolemic shock" reactions to unknown foods and we had to figure out what was making her sick. It was terrifying.  Foods that she was able to eat before, suddenly made her very, very sick.  She might be able to eat one food one day, and then eat that food the next day and go into shock.  From age 6-12, she continued to lose more and more previously safe foods.  After some time on GutPro, the probiotic, she stopped losing safe foods, and no longer has such violent reactions.  We haven't tested to see whether she can eat any offending food because we are not willing to destabalize her health, even though her diet is very limited.

Dr. Janice Joneja was instrumental in helping me understand histamine intolerance.  Also if you would like more info on FPIES, check out the various Facebook groups that have parents of children with FPIES.  There might even be one for adults with FPIES.

PM me if you'd like further information or if I can help in any way.  I'm sorry that you're dealing with all this.

• Like 1

I don’t have access to the publication you want at this time.

hiwever I used google scholar for the topic in general and got many interesting links.

Here’s a snippet from one with a probiotic mentioned that does tend to be available: 

There is significant evidence implicating the role of the microbiome in allergic disease.49,50 The introduction of fruits and vegetables containing fermentable fiber in early infancy has been shown to increase microbial diversity and short-chain fatty acid levels, promote epithelial integrity, and decrease penetration of intact food allergens.51,52 A few OIT trials that have used adjunctive probiotics have shown promise for FA desensitization. In 1 study, children with peanut allergy were randomly given a combination of the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus with peanut protein or a placebo once daily for 18 months. Two to 5 weeks after the end of the trial, 82.1% of children who received OIT plus probiotics were deemed tolerant to peanuts compared with just 3.6% in the placebo group.53 At 4-year follow-up, 70% of children who gained initial tolerance passed another challenge test, suggesting that is effective at inducing SU.54

• Like 1