Menu

biblioplan questions

ktgrok

Ok, so it looks like there are only 3 days a week scheduled, according to the samples, is that accurate? Plus then extra stuff you can choose to do or not do, etc?

Also, in the annotated book list, do they give you any warning about books that might be intense/sad/upsetting to sensitive readers? (obviously I can research that on my own, but it would be nice....)

I'm looking at doing it with my rising 4th grade daughter and rising 1st grade son. I used it a bit forever ago with my oldest, but he turns 20 in a few weeks, so it's been a while and they have added a ton of stuff! I'm thinking of doing Medieval, and getting the Remember the Days book, plus I think I have the Usborne History Encyclopedia, plus maybe the Monks and Mystics book, and whatever other history picture books look interesting. DD has dyslexia so I'd be doing the reading outloud for the most part - and I think I saw that Remember the Days has an audiobook version?

Then I'd want the maps, for sure, and maybe the Cool History for Middles for DD, and the coloring pages for DS. 

Timeline - Do you have to put them in the book that comes with it? We have a big laminated timeline on the wall, I'd like to cut out and put the pictures on that instead, will that work?

Craft book - my kids love that kind of stuff - is the craft book worth it or is it all silly stuff not worth bothering with, or?

Edited by Ktgrok

I have no answers to your questions because I'm a Biblioplan dropout but yesterday I happened to see the Remembering the Days book for Medieval and it was so much more readable than the Family reader.  Lots of color, pictures and engaging text and it reads more like a story versus snippets of information.  Just the right amount of information.  I should have bought the book (and may go back) because the book was $8.00!  It just seems to lend itself to one being able to visit a rabbit trail if you so desire or just keep reading along.  For whatever reason I didn't see, or this book wasn't available a few years ago but if had been I'd probably not ended up in tears and mailing it back as fast as possible.

3 days are scheduled.  There is plenty to do for the week though.  The reading/read alouds alone would take the whole week-the readers are scheduled like "read 1/2 book this week" not by pages.

The book lists are so detailed.  I suppose the books are chosen so that they are age appropriate.  I did see a few parental warnings(in red) in the Modern booklist.

The maps are great.  Super easy at the earlier levels.  

We used the Companion and SOTW,  The questions we used only applied to SOTW(Cool history classics) I did not make the kids write out answers-we just discussed

I did not use RTD, but I would in the future.  Yes, they have RTD audio version.  Not sure if it's for every level..

I like the craft ideas better in the SOTW guides.  You can also google for ideas.

You could cut out the figures and put them on your timeline.  I love the timeline from BP though.  We put ours on the wall.

We love BP, even though we are not currently using it). Maps are wonderful. My favorite actually, I love the interaction with the map they require, more than just labeling. Timeline pics can be used any way you like. Book descriptions are thorough, and the craft book is wonderful! It's very flexible and easy to make it just what you want. Oh, and we used the Remember the Days for year 3 and it was a great fit. Very textbook(y) but still engaging.