Menu

Am I the only one who feels Kohls cash adds stress to your life?

cintinative

I have $10. What will I spend it on? I hate this. I don't like purposeless shopping. But I needed pajamas for ds12 so here I am.  Does someone want to shop for me? 😃

ETA: i bought two bath towels. Fortunately we live close to Kohls. I just hate shopping. 😃

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

No, you are not.  I rarely spend it anymore.  The last cash I got, I had six days to use it.  Kohl’s is 30 minutes away and I’m not driving an hour just to spend $20 which will complicate any return that I might have on the original purchase.

Edited by school17777
  • Like 3

Generally most coupons / discounts are really just a way to get you to buy something you don't want/need or that isn't actually a good price in the big picture.

I guess if you plan it in advance, you could do the first half of your shopping and then get the bucks and use them on the second half, LOL.  But yeah, I'd rather just do my minimal shopping without all the gimmicks.

• Like 5

Yes. I had $25 to use this weekend and I was afraid I’d forget. I did get a purse, which I needed and hate to spend money on so it ended well. But the last time I got two T-shirt’s for myself that I haven’t hardly worn because I didn’t need them. 

I do better with it at the holidays because I work so many Kohl’s deals and I always can spend it on stocking stuffers or whatever. 

I do live really close though. So close that when I am using the app at home it sometimes thinks I am in the store and gives me the free shipping deal they give if you are in store 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I hate having to play those games.  I hate shopping.  That said, I do love a deal, so I do play their game at times.

I often use the Kohl's cash for towels...esp if they have their Big One on sale for $3.99.  

All of these gimmicks is why I love Aldi.  You go in...no coupons, no ever changing prices (sales that may or may not be a true sale), no rewards card, no perks number to remember, etc.   You shop, pay, and leave.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I went in today too with my $10 in Kohls cash and couldn't find anything to spend it on. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and pick up a towel. That's a really good idea and there are never enough "good" towels.

I ended up getting two. The Kohl's brand Big One towels are $10 buy one get one 1/2 off so with the Kohls Cash it's $5 plus tax for two. That's not too bad. I think they were $3 or $4 each around Black Friday.

Some of the beach towels are $9.99 but I know they have been lower than that before. I don't know if they will let you use the kohl's cash if the total is under $10. I spend way too much time trying to figure out how to keep my total as close to $10 as possible.  😃

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I hate having to play those games.  I hate shopping.  That said, I do love a deal, so I do play their game at times.

I often use the Kohl's cash for towels...esp if they have their Big One on sale for $3.99.  

All of these gimmicks is why I love Aldi.  You go in...no coupons, no ever changing prices (sales that may or may not be a true sale), no rewards card, no perks number to remember, etc.   You shop, pay, and leave.

yes, Aldi is my fave too.  😃

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I ended up getting two. The Kohl's brand Big One towels are $10 buy one get one 1/2 off so with the Kohls Cash it's $5 plus tax for two. That's not too bad. I think they were $3 or $4 each around Black Friday.

Some of the beach towels are $9.99 but I know they have been lower than that before. I don't know if they will let you use the kohl's cash if the total is under $10. I spend way too much time trying to figure out how to keep my total as close to $10 as possible.  😃

They let you use it for less than $10. I’ve sometimes been left with .01 on mine. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I pretty much despise Kohls and their complex sales schemes. I avoid them as humanly much as possible. Congrats on getting the towels, good choice! They always jack the prices right up after the sales, so suddenly the Kohls cash doesn't seem to go so far, hahaha. Now I say that, and I do really like the Vera Bradley pjs I get there. But really, it's such a profanity-inducing experience, trying to figure out how close you are to the next tier, whether you should buy $2 more to get that next tier, blah blah, that it's just really better not to. Just stay out, boycott.

JC Penny has gotten their groove back and they aren't so complicated. You buy something and they put the rewards to your phone number, boom done. That I can work with, lol.

• Like 4

Yeah, I think @alisoncooks is on to something. Walk in, find anything that’s the right price, pay, leave. Done. When I try to wander around trying to find something I really really need or really really want, it’s an impossible task. But one time I walked in around Christmas time, saw a super cute Peanuts Christmas puzzle, price was kohl’s cash right, bought it, and we loved putting it together. I did not go in to buy a puzzle, but the price was kohl’s cash right 🤣😂

I hate Kohls because of their coupon and kohls cash system.  Most things are overpriced to begin with so once you factor in the sales and kohls cash you are really just saving a little.   I have pretty much stopped shopping there.  I will shop there once  year during their black friday sales if I need things like bed sheets, towels, socks, etc.  Then I'll use the Kohls cash for a gift or two.  Other thn tht it simply isn't worth the annoyance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

They let you use it for less than $10. I’ve sometimes been left with .01 on mine. 

If I don't use it all, I have given it to the person behind me to use. I don't shop Kohl's very often anymore. It's too much of a headache.

• Like 1

With small amounts, when I don’t have any other specific shopping needs, I do get towels or socks. It might not feel very fun, lol, but those are two things that are always needed and I never want to spend money on!

My Kohl’s strategy is to (try to) wait for a big shopping need and then pull out all the stops. When dh had to bite the bullet and get a new work wardrobe, we went during the giant men’s sale, with an extra 30% off for card holders, and I think the Kohl’s Cash was doubled or bonused or something.  We saved a TON, and then I got some jeans for the boys, clothes for myself, and a new food saver for “free”.  It was very strategic and well worth it.

But it’s almost never wort it if I’m just in the mood for a new shirt.

• Like 2

My dd needed a bathing suit and there was one she liked at Kohl’s but no sales going and it was $45. (Really overpriced- just a kid’s suit). I remembered I had seen the same brand at Penny’s before so I looked there and bought it for $20. The next day I got my Kohl’s coupons and it was on sale and would have been a little cheaper. So when I have all my coupons and deals ready to go I do well but the prices have gotten so high I can’t just walk in and buy something. Dh bought something there once and didn’t have a coupon. I was so irritated. You can’t buy anything at Kohl’s for the price it is marked! That’s lunacy.

• Like 1

I never go into Kohls of my own free will. My youngest likes to go look at their jewelry, so I go with her. 

Their prices are very high for the quality. Then they have sales where the prices seem more reasonable but still not a great deal. But I have friends who shop the sale, stack the coupons, use the Kohls' cash, etc and are so excited to tell you about how they got all this for so little. It sounds like planning a very involved vacation or military campaign. I'd rather go in with a list of what I need, find it, see if I'm willing to pay that price, either buy it or not, and leave. I am in awe of the strategic planning and implementation that regular Kohls' shoppers do! 

• Like 1

Macy's does the same with their Star Money.

I worked for them until just a few weeks ago, and they would have 40% off weekends for the employees once a month. It happened to hit this month on my last day, so I bought a bunch of stuff that we truly needed.

And then I had $17 of Star Money that expires in July. LOL. So I found a nightgown on clearance. Mine all have holes.

It's a trap though, a big trap...

• Like 1

I have the worst time spending "free" money. Kohl's Cash is by far the worst for me. They jack up all the prices during redemption and anything worth purchasing often would cost me more than my Kohl's Cash. It's often a better deal to just purchase whatever with a 30 percent off coupon and not worry about Kohl's Cash. I end up walking around in circles trying to find something we "need" that is as close to our Kohl's Cash value as possible. It's a real time suck and stresses me out to no end.

I have 3 dd's -- 2 out of the house but close by and one still at home.  Kohls has been great for us.

Yes, I HATE playing their 'game'-- but I have it figured out and in the end we have saved quite a bit of $$$.

Last year I used my Kohl's Cash for FiestaWare.  I have an AWESOME service for 12 and lots of side dishes.  I have a few other 'extra' things on my wishlist-- If I have Kohls Cash I look to see if they are in stock-- or if they can 'ship to store'...many of my pieces were ordered online!

I have $15 Kohls Cash currently.  I'll either pick up a T-shirt for my PT or I'll get a few towels-- yes, I'm another Kohls Cash = towels person. 

If I'm not able to redeem my Kohls Cash-- or bother with going online-- I let my older girls use it.

• Like 1

Kohl's has been great for us, too, and worth playing the "game." I like this time of year for Kohl's Cash because they want the in-store fall clearance to move, and it's starting to get marked down to 80-90% off.  I pretty much exclusively use KC on clearance items or brands that aren't eligible for coupons (Columbia, Under Armour, Nike).  Last weekend I stretched $25 in KC/rewards (plus an extra $1.xx) to buy a skirt for me, 2 pairs of jeans for ds15, a pair of long thermal underwear for ds12, a 4 pack of briefs for ds12, a 6 pack of socks for ds5, and a tie for dh -- most at 90% off.

That said, it helps that I have a lot of people to shop for and generally enjoy treasure-hunting.

• Like 2

Kohls jeans fit my oldest DD the best, so whenever she needs new jeans, I spend some time the following week matching my available Kohls cash to stocking stuffers, socks, or underwear.

My last $10 Kohl's cash (last month?) went to a robe for 90% off (XMas present), bath bomb gift set (Stocking Stuffer) and something else I'm not remembering. 

I'm really lucky in that my mom loves to buy towels, so that when she finds towels that match my decor, she buys them and ships them to me LOL!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cecropia said:

Kohl's has been great for us, too, and worth playing the "game." I like this time of year for Kohl's Cash because they want the in-store fall clearance to move, and it's starting to get marked down to 80-90% off.  I pretty much exclusively use KC on clearance items or brands that aren't eligible for coupons (Columbia, Under Armour, Nike).  Last weekend I stretched $25 in KC/rewards (plus an extra $1.xx) to buy a skirt for me, 2 pairs of jeans for ds15, a pair of long thermal underwear for ds12, a 4 pack of briefs for ds12, a 6 pack of socks for ds5, and a tie for dh -- most at 90% off.

That said, it helps that I have a lot of people to shop for and generally enjoy treasure-hunting.

I need to hire someone like you. I *hate* going in the store and wandering around looking for something. Most of the time I order online and then pick it up in store.  The only place I like to go treasure hunting is the thrift store, and that is mostly for books.  😃

• Like 1

Yup. I hate Kohl’s cash. It would be awesome if you could use the bucks on the purchase you’re initially making. But I don’t live very nearby and it is not worth the trouble.

Also hate: CVS’ 9’ long receipt full of coupons and rewards. I hate that enough that I would rather go to the Walgreens instead. 

I agree with @Ottakee that Aldi is great because it is totally not gimmicky in any way. It annoys me when grocery shopping that so many things have to be bought in quantity to get the sale price: 2/$6, 4/$12, etc. I don’t want five of this thingy! It seems like a push for gluttony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Kohl’s cash, Old Navy cash, I ignore it all. I mean, I keep it in my wallet and happen to be shopping while it’s valid, I use it. But I do not let it drive me to shop in their commanded time frames. 

Our Kohl's honors their Kohl's cash for a week past its due date...

I end up with Kohl's cash BECAUSE I don't like to shop, lol! I shop in one fell swoop a couple of times per year (when someone is out of underwear or clothes that fit, I am decorating, or I am Christmas shopping), and that means a wash of it all at once. 

I do the towels, dish cloths, socks, and underwear thing too, but that last time, I bought "teacher" gifts for tutors. Oh, and pillowcases if I can find them on sale. Lots of droolers here means ours look terrible fast, so I need to keep some that are company-ready. I really wish they were start stocking reusable storage (Stasher, Re-zip, etc.). I need some of those. I am pretty set for Pyrex food storage (also thanks to Kohl's cash), but I need some durable replacements for plastic bags when we don't want to lug our Pyrex around.

• Like 1

One of the best things to get with Kohl's cash is - Godiva chocolate candy bars. Seriously. That's my go to when I have Kohl's cash and don't need anything. I eat some, keep some for Christmas stockings & other gifts. Putting a half dozen in a little gift bag with a nice note would make a great teacher appreciation gift.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I feel like it's for the center of the Venn diagram of people who enjoy shopping, live near Kohl's, and have an aspect of their lives that necessitates more shopping than the average person needs such as growing kids, lots of kids, a move or remodel - that sort of thing. If you're not at the center of those circles, I feel like it's inevitably frustrating.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, TechWife said:

One of the best things to get with Kohl's cash is - Godiva chocolate candy bars. Seriously. That's my go to when I have Kohl's cash and don't need anything. I eat some, keep some for Christmas stockings & other gifts. Putting a half dozen in a little gift bag with a nice note would make a great teacher appreciation gift.

Great idea! We get my MIL Godiva chocolates every year for Christmas. It's become tradition -- I'll have to keep this in mind. 

• Like 3