Menu

good (free?) vector graphics software?

I want something that allows me to easily resize & reorient jpg/png files and add/resize/move/reorient arrows & text on them for our Anki memory work.  Back in the day the university I worked at had CorelDraw on the computers but that is $$$, and I used Gimp (which is free) for serious image editing but Gimp's layer-based (as opposed to object-based) nature doesn't play at all nicely with my arrows & text boxes. 

Very grateful for any ideas or pointers! 

We use Anki on an iPad and make & annotate graphics on the iPad. There are lots of free/cheap image editor for the iPad. There are some options for marking up photos in the iOS itself.

I actually really like graphics apps that use layers. Layers makes it easy to use the same base image for multiple flashcards, but masking/highlighting different areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

Have you checked into Inkscape? It's free.

No, have not but will now: thank you! 

ETA: just peeked at it: it's open source! I <heart> open source from my grad school/coding days ...

2 hours ago, Kuovonne said:

We use Anki on an iPad and make & annotate graphics on the iPad. There are lots of free/cheap image editor for the iPad. There are some options for marking up photos in the iOS itself.

I actually really like graphics apps that use layers. Layers makes it easy to use the same base image for multiple flashcards, but masking/highlighting different areas.

Well, Gimp is hideous for this & it is really the photo-editing programs that are not applying easily for me, perhaps others would.  After Inkscape I'll look into iPad apps -- that hadn't occurred to me, thank you!

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked it too (especially for free). After a couple of years of use, it went buggy on me. I was using it for professional purposes and couldn't figure out the bug, so I jumped ship to an Adobe subscription. I pay the education price (homeschools qualify), so it's not horribly expensive. I use InDesign now, but I found Inkscape much easier to use than Illustrator.

1 hour ago, serendipitous journey said:

Okay: just got around to working to working with Inkscape and it is just what I needed.  So intuitive after CorelDraw, totally easy to write & move text.  Thanks SO MUCH!  🙂

• Like 1