Menu

What's with the ads?

Macyelm

Homeschooling in Australia

Hi, 

Anyone homeschooling a high schooler in NSW, Australia? I was wondering how you can teach a classical education curriculum and still meet requirements for the Department of Education esp. history. Thanks!

Hi 🙂 

I'm in Queensland homeschooling a highschooler. I can't help you with NSW education department rules I'm sorry.

There are a few NSW-ers that are on these boards though. Maybe try @StellaM and @LMD

There is also @Ausmumof3 and @Melissa in Australia - I'm not sure if they are in NSW or VIC though 🤔

There are a few other Australians on this board too, but I think they are either not in NSW or not homeschooling highschoolers.

All the best 🙂 

• Like 1

Hi macyelm, welcome to the boards!

I'm in Vic and have an 8th grader. I think Stella is in NSW... hopefully she'll be along soon. 🙂

From my quick Google, the Stage Statements and Outcomes document and the Guidelines for Home schooling Registration document don't immediately make me think that classical education wouldn't fit. What are your worries more specifically? Maybe we can help?

Hi Macyelm.

What year/stage is your student working at ?

Generally high school history likes to see you cover a number of things each year:  close studies (of a particular time period or historical approach), history in an Australian context, and one or more field trips. It might be a matter of looking at the Stage Outcomes and seeing how your own studies align, then filling in any gaps.

On 6/24/2019 at 4:53 AM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Hi 🙂 

I'm in Queensland homeschooling a highschooler. I can't help you with NSW education department rules I'm sorry.

There are a few NSW-ers that are on these boards though. Maybe try @StellaM and @LMD

There is also @Ausmumof3 and @Melissa in Australia - I'm not sure if they are in NSW or VIC though 🤔

There are a few other Australians on this board too, but I think they are either not in NSW or not homeschooling highschoolers.

All the best 🙂 

I’m in south Australia sorry