Menu

Advice on Books on India for a Kindergartener

So, I've got a job as a nanny/tutor for a little girl during the summer.   Her mom wanted me to do some geography with her, so I decided to combine that with a little history and world culture.   I'm doing one ancient civilization, then learning a little about the modern country/countries where that civilization used to be. 

So,  her family is from India.    I imagine they have taught her quite a bit already.    I would love some suggestions of really good books to use...ones that would be simple and fun for a small child.     If you are of Indian heritage I'd especially love your advice. 

What is her age?  I really like the series that includes I is for India; also T is for Taj Mahal; the Colors of the World series; Count Your Way Through India (and other countries).  Also A is for Asia, which covers many countries.  These are not really ABC books, but really interesting and well-illustrated snapshots of places around the world, suitable for kids around 4/5 to 8/10 or even older.  My kids still have quite a collection of them.  🙂

Another thought is to look at some books that combine geography with art, cooking, even math games.  Of course that depends on how much time you have with your student.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If her family is from India, I'd certainly ask them first! They may even have a stack of books that they haven't really delved deeply into, which would make your life simple. Or they may be like, we got India covered, we'd rather you do something else . . . 

• Like 2