Menu

What's with the ads?

Liz CA

Passion fruit

What do you know about it? 

Our new place has a dense hedge around part of the perimeter with orange, very soft, egg-shaped fruit. I cut it open and the fruit inside is bright red and somewhat tart.

What can I do with it? Pies? Smoothies? I read there is also a purple passion fruit but it does not seem like we have any of that variety.

When I taught in Brazil they had soda made from passion fruit juice. It was really good. Of course, that doesn’t help you out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I LOVE passion fruit! It makes a lovely tart or curd, but you can also use it in marinades for chicken or shrimp

Do you use the orange colored fruit or the purple? I am reading that the purple is evidently the preferred variety for eating. I don't believe I have ever tried it.

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

When I taught in Brazil they had soda made from passion fruit juice. It was really good. Of course, that doesn’t help you out.

Wonder if I could ferment it like a drink? Interesting. Have to google.

@ArcadiaThose purple ones look a lot firmer than the ones hanging on my vine. What do the purple ones look like inside? Is the fruit red or another color?

I love passionfruit. we grow the purple one and the golden one. they are both lovely- note the vine only lives for between 5-7 years. Both of ours died last summer int eh drought. I have replanted though.

the banana passionfruit doesn't taste  as nice

it is excellent served with sponge cake or pavlova. spread over the top of the whipped cream

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, YUM!

I grew up with a giant passion fruit tree in our backyard.  It had so many sturdy branches and we could climb up really high.  We would eat our way down.  So many fond memories in the passion fruit tree!  I am sure there is a picture of me in it somewhere.

I don't remember making anything with it though.  We just broke them open and ate the insides.  We did put it in a fruit salad with pineapple, banana, guava, papaya, and whatever else we happened to have.

• Like 1

Dh thinks out type of passion fruit (orange and red inside) definitely needs a little sugar or sweetener with it. I have to grab them off the vine, scrape them out and then figure out what I am going to do with them. 

9 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I love passionfruit. we grow the purple one and the golden one. they are both lovely- note the vine only lives for between 5-7 years. Both of ours died last summer int eh drought. I have replanted though.

the banana passionfruit doesn't taste  as nice

it is excellent served with sponge cake or pavlova. spread over the top of the whipped cream

I was just about to say it's great on top of a pavlova. Oh yum.

• Like 1