Menu

Best way to combine CLE Math 7 and 8 into one year to prepare for Algebra I in 8th grade?

Any suggestions? I've having a hard time figuring it out. When we've condensed in the past (only a light unit here and there), I've had DD complete two new topics and then select questions from those two "We Remember" sections based on whatever quiz or test was coming up. It's quite a bit of work on my part...making sure I pick the correct type of questions in addition to making sure I include new stuff too. I can't imagine doing that for two whole grades. I am cutting out the first books from each grade level since those are review. That helps a bit, but that's still 18 light units in one year!

Edited by pitterpatter

Will this be the first time through the topics in CLE 7 & 8? Or will this be done as a review or a "second round" on the topics for an extra solid foundation?

If the former: Trying to push a student faster than they are ready for, or trying to take short cuts to speed through the Pre-Algebra types of topics can end up backfiring and result in later on having to stop, or even back up, in the midst of the higher maths to get the basics figured out, and *then* figure out how to apply the basics to the higher math concepts. JMO, but at the middle school ages, you *save* time by *taking your time* to make sure the student has a rock-solid foundation in fractions, decimals, percents, positive/negative integers, factoring, exponents, etc. -- to be able to later on use those manipulations in the higher maths. Only move on to Algebra 1 when the individual student is ready to step up into the higher maths -- whether that is 8th grade or 9th grade. (Or earlier in middle school for some students, or later in high school for a few students.) Don't worry -- starting Algebra 1 in 9th grade gives students a very solid 4 credit math progression up through Pre-Calculus, which meets (and in some cases exceeds) future college admission requirements for most colleges.

If the latter... I don't know of a pre-made schedule to go at a faster rate through CLE 7 & 8, and I can't think of a faster way of setting it up then what you are already doing -- circling selected problems, whizzing through areas that are review, slowing down for topics that are not as solid...

• Like 1

I'm not sure. I would have to scrutinize CLE's scope and sequence. We used Singapore through fourth grade, switched to CLE in fifth. She's completed CLE Math 5 and 6. She does well with CLE, although the "We Remember" sections are long for her. She rarely scores anything but As on her quizzes and tests. What she misses is usually not because she doesn't understand the concepts but because she didn't check her work well enough and missed points on silly mistakes (e.g. skipped a label, forgot to put a decimal point, just plain didn't finish a problem, didn't read the directions well enough). I think there's only been a time or two that she's missed something because she didn't have the concept down.

26 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Will this be the first time through the topics in CLE 7 & 8? Or will this be done as a review or a "second round" on the topics for an extra solid foundation?

15 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

...She does well with CLE... she rarely scores anything but As on her quizzes and tests. What she misses is usually not because she doesn't understand the concepts but because she didn't check her work well enough and missed points on silly mistakes...

Sounds like she's right on track, using a program that is giving her good learning success, and that she going at a good pace for her. yea! 😄

I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp (LOL) .... So has something changed, or is there a reason you are thinking you need to get to Algebra 1 in 8th grade?? If not, then, just me, but I'd stick with the program that's working, and esp. stick with the *pace* that it working for DD.

• Like 1

My copy of TWTM recommends Algebra 1 for 8th grade. That seems to be the thing to do on the boards here too. While I'm quite certain DD won't have any ambition to major in math, engineering, architecture, etc. in college, I don't want to mess up her options either because we didn't complete Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I personally would prefer to do CLE 7 in 7th grade, CLE 8 in 8th, and the new CLE Algebra 1 in 9th.

18 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Sounds like she's right on track, using a program that is giving her good learning success, and that she going at a good pace for her. yea! 😄

I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp (LOL) .... So has something changed, or is there a reason you are thinking you need to get to Algebra 1 in 8th grade?? If not, then, just me, but I'd stick with the program that's working, and esp. stick with the *pace* that it working for DD.

42 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

My copy of TWTM recommends Algebra 1 for 8th grade....

SWB herself would be quick to assure you that the TWTM is only meant as a general *guide* and that parents absolutely should adapt the guide as best fits their unique students' needs and goals.  😉

The beauty of homeschooling -- teaching your student where they are. If she is best served by doing Algebra 1 in 9th, great! And if she is ready and needs/wants a faster math pace which sets her up for Algebra 1 in 8th, also great! Homeschool in HER best interest. 🙂

That seems to be the thing to do on the boards here too...

Actually, I disagree. There are a lot of us on these boards who had one or more students who didn't do Algebra 1 in 8th. I just think that doing Algebra 1 in 9th grade doesn't get *posted* about as much, either because the student is just moving along at a typical/average pace and has no issues that the parent needs help in resolving by posting about -- or because parents with math strugglers may feel intimidated or embarrassed to post, when they see posts from families who have advanced and very advanced students who are doing Algebra 1 in 7th or even 6th grade.

From what I've read as far as U.S. students, it's pretty much an even split as to how many students take Algebra 1 in 8th grade or 9th grade. I've also seen that a lot students who take Algebra 1 in 8th grade in the local public/private schools re-take it in 9th grade because it didn't click firmly for them. No shame. Not behind. Just the average brain maturation rate for the logic and abstract thinking aspects used in Algebra 1.

From Wikipedia: "Algebra I... Historically, this class has been a high school level course that is... offered ...  traditionally in eighth or ninth grades."

... I don't want to mess up her options either because we didn't complete Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I personally would prefer to do CLE 7 in 7th grade, CLE 8 in 8th, and the new CLE Algebra 1 in 9th.

Go for it (CLE 7 in 7th, CLE 8 in 8th, new CLE 9 in 9th)!

That absolutely will NOT mess up any options doing Algebra 1 in 9th grade. As I mentioned upstream, that's right on track for completing all of the math credits that would be required by most colleges for admission (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus). And there are actually quite a few colleges out thee that only require math up through Algebra 2 -- especially if the student is going into the Fine Arts or Humanities fields.

And if for some weird reason she needed even more math than Pre-Calculus, there are options -- such as doing Pre-Calculus and Calculus each as a semester of dual enrollment in 12th grade, or doing Math year-round, to complete 5 math credits in 4 years.

So not at all messing up her future by doing Algebra 1 in 9th. 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

My 9th grader will be doing Saxon Algebra 1 next fall 😉 She's not behind!  We spent extra time on PreAl, so she's ready!  My older one dud Al1 in 8th grade, but she's now starting 11th grade, and she's ready for college calc.  We are actually slowing down and doing ACT math and looking at another Trig course just to keep her busy until she has time for the college class.  Thinking she'll take it next spring.

• Like 2

My DD just completed CLE 700 for 7th grade.  IMO, the strength of this program is that the new information is presented in extremely small and manageable bites, and that the review is so thorough.  I would not condense it.  If you think she is ready for a year of Pre-Algebra followed by Algebra 1, I recommend getting another Pre-Algebra program that is designed for one year but is also a spiral format, such as Saxon or Horizons.

• Like 2

I love CLE math and used it for many years with my kids. I don’t remember exactly what I did with my dd, but with my ds, we did not do CLE 8.  We went directly from CLE 7 to CLE algebra with no issues. I had him do this because I wanted him to have more time and practice in order to master algebra. He successfully used CLE algebra and then we did a very light geometry (MUS) so that he could continue to really solidify his algebra skills with Lial’s algebra. This worked well for him — he got an A in calculus during his freshman year of college.

Now that I think about it, my dd went from CLE 6 to Saxon 8/7 and then Saxon algebra I. I’m pretty sure it used to be said fairly often on these boards that CLE 8 was not necessary. 

ETA: I went and found my older posts and my ds did a couple of the CLE 800 LUs before I decided our time would be better spent on algebra and my dd switched to Saxon 8/7 after finishing the first half of CLE 6. And she has taken Calculus BC, Statistics at the CC and will take discrete math and maybe calculus III her senior year at the cc. I feel like so many years are spent on basic arithmetic and building a solid foundation but then so many new concepts are covered too quickly in algebra I. For both of mine, it was beneficial to spend more time building the foundation in algebra. They have each used more than one program for different levels of upper level math. I have them continue working on it until they have truly mastered it.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

My copy of TWTM recommends Algebra 1 for 8th grade. That seems to be the thing to do on the boards here too. While I'm quite certain DD won't have any ambition to major in math, engineering, architecture, etc. in college, I don't want to mess up her options either because we didn't complete Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I personally would prefer to do CLE 7 in 7th grade, CLE 8 in 8th, and the new CLE Algebra 1 in 9th.

FWIW, in SWB's preparing for high school audio lecture, she notes that prealgebra in 9th is okay as an absolute minimum. (Though she points out that you can't count it for hs credit.) This still allows you to get through Algebra 2 by the end of high school which is fine for many students. Algebra in 8th or 9th is ideal, of course. I just mention it because I think TWTM sometimes reads more stringent than SWB meant it to.

Personally, I'd keep a normal pace for now. At the end of 7th, you could take CLE's placement test for algebra. If she easily places into algebra, I'd have no qualms about skipping the 800s. If she doesn't, then taking that extra year to work through the 800s will be time well spent.

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone. I really would feel better if we stayed with CLE 7 for 7th grade, CLE 8 for 8th grade, and Algebra 1 for 9th grade. I feel like we just switched over from Singapore (it was fifth grade mid year) and she's doing so well with CLE. I don't want to mess that up.

• Like 4