Menu

Logic Puzzles: types, where to find, etc?

Hello all,

I'd like to expose my kids, especially my oldest (12yo) to various types of logic puzzles over the next few years.  

I'm finding lots of printable resources, but only when I can give a specific name to the puzzle type, i.e.:

- nonograms

- sudoku

- grid logic puzzles

I would like to find additional puzzle sources, perhaps that involve cryptography, alternate writing systems (decoding numbers based on symbols that are not arabic numerals and perhaps not base 10), etc.   But I don't know how to "name" these types of puzzles for my google searches.  I'd also be happy to pay for a well-constructed book of puzzles of many varieties.  

Do the Critical Thinking Co books have what I'm looking for- a good range and variety of logic puzzle types?  Any other books you know of?  

CTC is what we've used for logic puzzles - we like Mind Benders (grid logic) and Crypto Mind Benders, which is more like code breaking but not exactly. I also found a book called Balancing Equations that was good, but I can't remember if that was CTC or something else.

• Like 1

Try Krazy Dad puzzles.  Most of them are printable - things like Sodoku of various types.  There are many types of logic and spatial reasoning puzzles.  He has made them computer generated, so if you find a style that you like, there are unlimited versions, and a range of difficulty.

https://krazydad.com/

Edited to add:  My current favorite is Slitherlinks.  But even the easiest versions are not-so-easy.  You might try looking at the answer key and adding some more hints until you understand the strategies for playing this puzzle.

Edited by LJPPKGFGSC