Menu

virtual/online science labs

I would say it is highly likely that she will start with CC, but nothing is definite at this point, as she is only just going into 8th grade.  I'm really trying to get a handle on how to navigate homeschooling high school.

So when writing a high school transcript, can I count virtual labs as fulfilling a lab requirement?  

I would not have thought that virtual labs would count for labs, but I know a high school girl using Liberty University's online high school program, and every science course except physical science has online labs.  They use Late Nite Labs.  She is actually pre-med and has already been accepted into their college program based on her high school performance.  

In terms of what colleges will accept or not, your best bet is to contact the colleges of interest to see what their registrar's offices have to say. :)

Just an FYI about Late Nite Labs in case you were considering using it - they will be ceasing operation in December of this year.  I have an instructor's account with them through the college I teach at and we received an email notification this past spring that the platform will be phased out by January 2020.  They said they were hoping to replace it with something else but I haven't heard anything lately about their plan going forward.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:12 PM, Dicentra said:

In terms of what colleges will accept or not, your best bet is to contact the colleges of interest to see what their registrar's offices have to say. 🙂

I agree with this wisdom, but I really have no idea where she might want to go aside from CC.  The most likely scenario, aside from CC, would be a dual enrollment program starting in high school that continues at the same college into freshman year. 

Re: Late Night Labs, I did hear that somewhere, thank you for the info.  I'm not stuck on any particular lab but was just using them as an example.  I'm sure Liberty will have to move to something else if/when that happens...I'll be interested to see if they add more home hands-on labs instead.

• Like 1

If this is a class that has already been taken, then my suggestion is moot. But if your lab question relates to a future class, could you supplement the class and its virtual labs with a few highly "do-able" hands-on labs at home during the year? It seems like a combination of the two might check a box for you.

Edited by Brigid in NC
  • Like 1