Menu

Changing Math Curriculum...Need Help!

Vintage81

DD will be a 4th grader next year. We’ve done MM 1-3.

We just received her IOWA test scores back and there was a decent size drop in her math score form last year. I’m thinking it might be time to try something new. I actually considered changing curriculums for her last year because MM started to feel like it wasn’t a good fit, but decided to stick it out one more year. This test score drop is just pushing me to look at other options more seriously now. 

I was looking at CLE. I think the spiral method and review it provides would help her in retaining information better. But, DD struggles with multi-step word problems and critical thinking. (She's pretty solid on her math facts.)

Should I supplement CLE with something to help strengthen these skills? Or is there another curriculum I should consider?

The simplest help I know of is, when they approach a word problem, to sit down and break it up into bites.  I have kids highlight and circle key words and numbers and draw pictures.  You can do this with any program. 
I would suggest running through this Math Curriculum Selector (both secular and religious quizzes) to help you figure out what, exactly, you're looking for.

• Like 1

I pair  CLE with FAN math problem solving.  It provides systematic instruction (not just practice) in word problems in the first half.  The second half is problem solving strategies.  It is exactly what you are asking for and I use it for exactly the same reason.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyDay said:

Have you looked at :

Horizons Math? 

Life of Fred?

Teaching Textbooks?

I have only briefly looked at these, but I'll look at them further. I'm least familiar with Life of Fred. Would this be used as a supplement or the main curriculum? 

2 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I have only briefly looked at these, but I'll look at them further. I'm least familiar with Life of Fred. Would this be used as a supplement or the main curriculum? 

Life of Fred is a fun supplement, but I wouldn't use it for a full curriculum, especially for a struggling student. There's just not enough practice.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Life of Fred is a fun supplement, but I wouldn't use it for a full curriculum, especially for a struggling student. There's just not enough practice.

The elementary books are not something I'd use for a struggling math student at all.  The topics are out of order.  Multiplication and sigma notation are in the same book.  Set theory starts near addition.  Slope is in one, there's number play with using a specific group to make any number..just, no.  I'd rather get a Singapore math Challenging Word Problems book 2 levels below current work (or a FAN book) - and I love Fred.  I adore the alphabet series and my kid has slept with them after rereading ones he had finished.  It just doesn't seem it would be a good use of money in this situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

I've only used LOF as a supplement. Dd struggled with decimals and percents.  It helped.

If you want to target word problems, there are summer bridge workbooks that focus on various topics.  I saw some the other day in Barnes and Noble of all places.