Menu

Third Interview Tomorrow (update)

G5052

This looks like a job I'd enjoy with good pay and benefits. I've had two previous interviews with them, reference checks, criminal/credit checks, and did the required psychological testing (Calipers). 

Some of you know that I've been looking for full-time work for 18 months. We've been scraping by on my three part-time jobs, what my college kids have been able to contribute in various ways, and the kindness of friends. There's a lot of back story, but I'll leave it there.

I volunteer with a local ministry and last night another leader commented that some people's lives are just a continuous uphill battle. That's me.

If I get this job, so many things will fall into place. So positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated. 

Update:

It was a decent interview, but it could go either way. The responsibilities listed and job requirements listed didn't connect in some ways, so I asked about that and found out that there was quite a bit that wasn't stated in the job responsibilities that I'd be doing. One person dominated the questions and one said almost nothing. The other said a few things but was mostly quiet. They listed job requirements that I'm especially qualified for but didn't seem to want to talk about those areas. So I don't know. I certainly could do the job and enjoy it, but I've had better interviews. At the end I tried to get them back to the areas I'm strong in by talking about their future goals. But they didn't quite know how to get there, so I pointed out that I know how to do that. So I think I ended well.

I was turned down yesterday on a job I had a second interview for several weeks ago. That one I thought would be an immediate turn-down because one of the interviewers didn't seem to like my answers, but apparently they did try to find a place for me and just didn't have an opening. It was through an employee referral. So that was a small positive. They said they would keep my resume on file.  

Edited by G5052
  • Like 32

1 hour ago, G5052 said:

This looks like a job I'd enjoy with good pay and benefits. I've had two previous interviews with them, reference checks, criminal/credit checks, and did the required psychological testing (Calipers). 

Some of you know that I've been looking for full-time work for 18 months. We've been scraping by on my three part-time jobs, what my college kids have been able to contribute in various ways, and the kindness of friends. There's a lot of back story, but I'll leave it there.

I volunteer with a local ministry and last night another leader commented that some people's lives are just a continuous uphill battle. That's me.

If I get this job, so many things will fall into place. So positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated. 

This sounds very hopeful!  

2 hours ago, G5052 said:

Good sign that they've done all that! I hope so much that you get it.

5 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I am, too! I started yesterday afternoon. 

If she doesn’t post an update soon, we’ll all have to just start talking among ourselves. 😉

We are pretty good at that.  She will come back and not even recognize her own thread.

She did say the interview is today.  And she lives on the west coast.  So I guess we have to be patient.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

We are pretty good at that.  She will come back and not even recognize her own thread.

She did say the interview is today.  And she lives on the west coast.  So I guess we have to be patient.

I know you’re right, but I’m not all that great with the whole patience thing!

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2019 at 7:11 AM, G5052 said:

Update:

It was a decent interview, but it could go either way. The responsibilities listed and job requirements listed didn't connect in some ways, so I asked about that and found out that there was quite a bit that wasn't stated in the job responsibilities that I'd be doing. One person dominated the questions and one said almost nothing. The other said a few things but was mostly quiet. They listed job requirements that I'm especially qualified for but didn't seem to want to talk about those areas. So I don't know. I certainly could do the job and enjoy it, but I've had better interviews. At the end I tried to get them back to the areas I'm strong in by talking about their future goals. But they didn't quite know how to get there, so I pointed out that I know how to do that. So I think I ended well.

I don't ever seem to have a really good sense of how an interview went and whether I am likely to get the job. The week I interviewed for the library job, I had an interview for a similar but lower-paying job at a local museum. I remember coming home and telling my husband that I thought I really nailed the museum interview and that I would "eat my hat" if I got an offer from the library, even though the library was the one I really, really wanted. In the couple of weeks that passed, I had already given up on the library and was mentally preparing to accept the other job, so when I got the rejection email from the museum, I was really devastated.

Imagine my surprise when the library came through with an offer just a few days later.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on this one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I don't ever seem to have a really good sense of how an interview went and whether I am likely to get the job. The week I interviewed for the library job, I had an interview for a similar but lower-paying job at a local museum. I remember coming home and telling my husband that I thought I really nailed the museum interview and that I would "eat my hat" if I got an offer from the library, even though the library was the one I really, really wanted. In the couple of weeks that passed, I had already given up on the library and was mentally preparing to accept the other job, so when I got the rejection email from the museum, I was really devastated.

Imagine my surprise when the library came through with an offer just a few days later.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on this one.

Yes, there seems like no rhyme or reason to it all. I've been blessed I guess in that I've never had this type of trouble getting a job before. Nearly always, I was chosen right away! But this is sure different. One job (my current college work) didn't even interview me. One of the people that recently helped me with my resume and other parts of it said that one of his best positions came from an interview that seemed to go really bad. He never knew what happened there, only that he got an offer a week later. So I'm steeling myself that you never really know.

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I think the number of interviews and waiting time to hear back is just nuts so much of the time! Make a decision and move on, people. 

I had one that strung me along for over five months. At one point they said I was in the top three, and then this-and-that. I finally contacted HR, and they said that the position had been filled.

A lot of time is involved applying, preparing, sending emails, etc. etc. I'd rather be working. LOL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I think the number of interviews and waiting time to hear back is just nuts so much of the time! Make a decision and move on, people. 

I agree! I feel so badly for anyone interviewing for a job these days. It seems like the process takes so much longer than it used to take, and it’s so stressful to keep waiting and wondering and worrying! 

9 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I agree! I feel so badly for anyone interviewing for a job these days. It seems like the process takes so much longer than it used to take, and it’s so stressful to keep waiting and wondering and worrying! 

I know that they feel that they have to be absolutely sure these days, but it's indeed hard on people. When I was in university research, I remember being on the committee working  the long process of picking two new people for a new program out of 200+ applications. As it turned out, both people we hired were duds. One constantly went on rabbit trails and couldn't get anything done, and the other was cocky and really didn't know his stuff at all. Neither accomplished much at all. When they had to downsize after I left, both were let go.

I don't know how we could have prevented that given that they both looked good from our standpoint, but it showed me how bad hiring is such a waste.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

Geez, I would think by the third interview, they would know whether they want you. I hope you get it,

My dh just went through this process after being employed by the same company for 25 years. We were willing and able for him to take a significantly lower salary, but even when he was applying for jobs that were half his previous salary, there were many times he did not get them. He had never experienced that before either. It took him a year to find a new job that paid a little more than half of his old one and he was happy to get it.

On a positive note, he loves his new job and the people he works with. It is so much less stressful than his old job and he feels truly appreciated for all the hard work he invests in it. That was not the case with his prior job. They just wanted more and more from him. They kept laying off employees and expecting the remaining ones to pick up all of the additional responsibilities.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

Geez, I would think by the third interview, they would know whether they want you. I hope you get it,

My dh just went through this process after being employed by the same company for 25 years. We were willing and able for him to take a significantly lower salary, but even when he was applying for jobs that were half his previous salary, there were many times he did not get them. He had never experienced that before either. It took him a year to find a new job that paid a little more than half of his old one and he was happy to get it.

On a positive note, he loves his new job and the people he works with. It is so much less stressful than his old job and he feels truly appreciated for all the hard work he invests in it. That was not the case with his prior job. They just wanted more and more from him. They kept laying off employees and expecting the remaining ones to pick up all of the additional responsibilities.

Yes, if I had been working full-time all along in what I did before kids, I would have been making double what they were quoting for salary. But it's more than I'd make as a full-time professor too, which is really what I'm qualified for after twenty years as an adjunct. But that's not going to happen any time soon. They don't hire many full-time professors at all in my area.

I know that my age and having taken twenty years of part-time employment hurts me. My kids are a year and two years away from graduating from college, and I'm betting they will have a much easier time.

44 minutes ago, G5052 said:

Yes, if I had been working full-time all along in what I did before kids, I would have been making double what they were quoting for salary. But it's more than I'd make as a full-time professor too, which is really what I'm qualified for after twenty years as an adjunct. But that's not going to happen any time soon. They don't hire many full-time professors at all in my area.

I know that my age and having taken twenty years of part-time employment hurts me. My kids are a year and two years away from graduating from college, and I'm betting they will have a much easier time.

I once made the mistake of calculating how much my equivalent base salary from my last full-time job pre-kids would equate to now. If I had just basically tread water professionally, continuing too work full time but assuming that I got nothing more than cost-of-living increases, never an actual "raise" or promotions, I would be looking at salaries at least 35% more than I am making now. And keep in mind that it took my five years from the time I went back to work to claw up to my current salary, which is a big jump from what I was getting just a few months ago.

It's distressing.

1 hour ago, G5052 said:

I do really hope it is easier for our kids! I think it will be too.

With my dh, I kept wondering how much was due to increased health insurance costs the employer must pay for older people — my dh is 55. My father took early retirement many years ago at age 55 because he was in danger of being laid off and losing his pension after his company was bought up by another. It had happened to a number of his coworkers. 

Edited by Mom0012

2 hours ago, ``` said:

Maybe it's time to move out of the area you live in??  Is it saturated with overqualified people?  (I think I know about where you are, but not sure.)  That could be the problem.

It's a very good employment market here for my expertise. Probably the best in the U.S. I've had a decent number of interviews, but no offers. I really think it's being in my late 50's and part-time work for twenty years. I've had interviewers mention that sort of thing even though the age issue is illegal. 

My kids are commuter college students here too, so it's better for us to stay in the area. But yes, I'm weary of looking but won't give up until I get a job.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, G5052 said:

It's a very good employment market here for my expertise. Probably the best in the U.S. I've had a decent number of interviews, but no offers. I really think it's being in my late 50's and part-time work for twenty years. I've had interviewers mention that sort of thing even though the age issue is illegal. 

My kids are commuter college students here too, so it's better for us to stay in the area. But yes, I'm weary of looking but won't give up until I get a job.

And you will get one with that attitude!🙂 I really hope it’s the one you just interviewed for.

• 4 weeks later...