Menu

I need light and funny read alouds

kristin0713

I need some read alouds that won’t leave me sobbing through the last chapter. We just finished Rascal, and I seriously could not get through it. 🙄😳 DS had to read the last few pages. 

My kids are 13 and 11. Lighter books we have enjoyed—The Phantom Tollbooth, By The Great Horn Spoon, Summer of the Monkeys (I cried in that one too but not as bad)... We love animal stories but would like to avoid ones where they die or are “set free” for now. Having a brother and sister as main characters is a plus (we enjoyed The Mixed Up Files...) Mysteries would also be good (but nothing dark).  Also, no potty humor.

Suggestions?

• Like 1

Love the above idea of Just So Stories!

A few more humorous book ideas (most are NOT animal-related):

gr. 4-8
The Fake Moustache (Angleberger)
Half Magic, Magic By the Lake, Knight's Castle, The Time Garden, Seven Day Magic  (Eager) -- brothers/sisters
By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)
The Whipping Boy (Flesichman)
The Great Wheel (Lawson)
The Ordinary Princess (Kaye) -- girl and boy
Two Are Better Than One (Brink) -- girls
A Long Way from Chicago; A Year Down Yonder (Peck)
Hoot; Chomp (Hiaasen)
The Hoboken Chicken Emergency (Pinkwater)

Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien) -- once you get over the hump of the older language in the first few pages, it's a lot of fun
Book of Dragons (Nesbit) -- 7 short stories
The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame)

gr. 6+
Bromeliad trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, Wings (Pratchett)
The 13 Clocks (Thurber) -- does for use of language/vocabulary what Phantom Tollbooth does for math concepts
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Twain)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll)

gr. 7+
- Life With Jeeves (PG Wodehouse)
- Shakespeare Star Wars (Doescher)
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Adams) -- just a few brief crudities and innuendos (if reading aloud you could skip over them)

short stories:
The Open Window (Saki)
A Story Without An End (Twain)
Lamb to the Slaughter (Dahl) -- "black humor"
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Thurber)
The Ransom of Red Chief (Henry)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I'm not sure how "laugh out loud" funny these are (there are some funny parts mostly involving the dog) but the Smells Like Dog series by Suzanne Selfors was a huge hit with all my kiddoes aged 7-14. Very old school, and maybe too young, but Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books are always amusing and "clean." 

The League of Unexceptional Children by Getty Daneshvari (a series of three books) is funny with a sly bent. I don't remember if they are 100% potty-free but the humor mainly is wittier if I recall correctly. The overall premise pokes fun at the trend of "every kid is a genius" which my children have run into as homeschoolers so they get the humor. 

Speaking of animal stories, and central character animals who DIE by the end of  a book, Suzanne Selfors penned an introduction in the first Smells Like Dog book specifically stating that NO DOGS will die in her books and lamenting how authors have animals die after readers have become attached to them. It's pretty amusing and set my kids' hearts at ease. 

• Like 3

We have enjoyed

Half Magic

The Saturdays

All of a Kind Family

--These are all about families with several kids and are all set in the past--I guess that is a theme we enjoy.  🤣 

The Hobbit has been another favorite! 

Edited by Holly

On 6/21/2019 at 9:11 PM, CAtoVA said:

Speaking of animal stories, and central character animals who DIE by the end of  a book, Suzanne Selfors penned an introduction in the first Smells Like Dog book specifically stating that NO DOGS will die in her books and lamenting how authors have animals die after readers have become attached to them. It's pretty amusing and set my kids' hearts at ease. 

Sold!!! My one kid is SO sensitive, we had to shut off a butterfly documentary because he was sobbing that the farmer's tractor went over the "butterfly nursery". This sounds perfect for him!

And I'm just as bad, I'm STILL traumatized by Where the Red Fern Grows and REFUSE to ever read the Yearling, Old Yeller, etc. Nope. Not happening. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Haha 1

I hear you.... My oldest DD who is of the "correct age" is not reading Where the Red Fern Grows due to the, ahem, *unfortunate* events pertaining to not one but TWO dogs, and also will not read Old Yeller. We are completely besotted dog lovers here, lol.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:09 PM, Tanaqui said:

I've had this tab open because I meant to reply to it and I haven't - you're looking mostly for older middle grade books, yes, not YA?

Yes, probably mostly older middle, really to avoid more mature themes.

These are great suggestions! Still open to more 🙂