Menu

Transcripts and Online courses

Does anyone know how to handle online courses that only make up a portion of the content covered in a course? Do we need to add every online course taken? My oldest daughter has a confusing series of courses she has taken for high school credit starting in 6th grade. One co-op was required by their accrediting agency to issue HS grades to all students enrolled in certain classes - she got As. She had credit for Latin I with them but then changed to another Latin program online that was much harder and used a different text so they enrolled her in Latin I again. When she took Latin II in the online class this year, she also worked with a local tutor using a separate textbook and generated almost as much work for him as she did for the class. I have no interest in listing the Latin I and II twice on her high school transcript or giving more than 1 credit per class. Can I simply combine them and create my own course description and my own grading scheme that covers the material she learned over the years? She also took a 2 year world history sequence where they used an AP textbook but this was in 7th and 8th grade. Can I combine those courses into 1 credit for high school? She is supposed to begin her freshman year this coming fall. Essentially, she will have too many HS credits on her transcript earned prior to HS. Omitting them entirely leaves gaps though - a student must take World History for example. Thank you for any advice!

PS - She will have plenty of AP and CLEP scores to back up her transcript, plus dual enrollment credits with the local college so outside high school accredited classes aren't important to us. I'd like to keep it simple and just have one homeschool transcript I generate and one from the CC for her dual enrollment.

1 hour ago, emeraldexplorer said:

Can I simply combine them and create my own course description and my own grading scheme that covers the material she learned over the years?

Can I combine those courses into 1 credit for high school?

Yes.

Yes.

My DD often took an online foreign language class and supplemented with up to another credit of the same language with another online provider/tutor. I only listed one credit.

Do what you will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I view online (or other) classes for homeschoolers (like Derek Owens and Bravewriter, for example) as resources like a textbook is a resource.  So, unless the class was taken at a credit-granting institution, my opinion is that you can do whatever you want.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, EKS said:

I view online (or other) classes for homeschoolers (like Derek Owens and Bravewriter, for example) as resources like a textbook is a resource.  So, unless the class was taken at a credit-granting institution, my opinion is that you can do whatever you want.  

This is what I did.  Also as far as I'm concerned, I am the arbiter of what receives credit in our homeschool.  For example, one of my kids did a graphic design class in coop that was listed as high school level.  I didn't think that the course met my expectations for a high school class, so I didn't include it on the transcript.  

I did have a Fine Arts course that used a combination of a bunch of different resources, including online art and architecture workshops.  I listed them in a course description along with the books, lectures and museum visits.  

• Like 2