Menu

Online AP Literature and AP Biology

Stanford Online High School offers an excellent AP bio class.  You need to apply to the school as you would for any private school, tuition is comparable to in person private schools (so expensive), but you can enroll as a part time or single course student.   As a bonus you also get a really great community of families.

One affordable organization that is doing AP Biology this year is Scholars Online. John Hopkins Center for Talented Youth might offer one but you'd have to register. There is also another option though it is a huge time commitment and not a great fit for everyone. You can register with the College Board to teach it and put it on your transcript as an official AP class. There are some AP courses I wouldn't feel confident enough with the material but I did take on AP Chemistry for this coming school year and we've toyed with doing AP Literature as well. Labs are a commitment for the household anyway for the AP science classes even if they are taken online. You can take the exam at most local public high schools in May but be sure to register in November!

Athena’s has AP English lit, and I’ve heard it’s quite good. I believe Online G3 has an honors bio that uses an AP textbook, but is not an AP approved syllabus. 

DS took AP Bio at aph.  Got a 5, so in some sense successful, and while he really enjoyed the subject matter he found the teacher frustrating from an organization & delay in getting graded work back prospective.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, High School Homeschool Dad said:

Thank you. Can you tell me what "aph" stands for?

I think it's a typo for PAH. Pennsylvania Homeschoolers. I've heard the same thing about the class.

I've been down this road earlier this year, and we will probably end up with a dual enrollment class. I'd love to hear about other options, too! We are interested in preparing for the Subject test rather than the AP because of the rest of Dd's course load, and she'll likely never need the college credit for Bio. She may need a "science" subject test score, though.

I think the Blue Tent class prepares for the SAT Biology Subject test, not AP. Irene Paine sounds like a very good, very organized teacher, though.

G3 doesn't have a class listed this year.

The deadlines for Stanford Online High School are past for Biology (back in January, I think). Not sure about English since they offer that differently.

Scholars Online's teachers that I've talked to all seem pretty good, but I can't speak to that class specifically.

BYU Online High School has a self-study option for AP Biology. It may be my backup plan of dual enrollment falls through. Not exciting, but straight forward.

I'll send you a pm.

59 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I think it's a typo for PAH. Pennsylvania Homeschoolers. I've heard the same thing about the class.

I've been down this road earlier this year, and we will probably end up with a dual enrollment class. I'd love to hear about other options, too! We are interested in preparing for the Subject test rather than the AP because of the rest of Dd's course load, and she'll likely never need the college credit for Bio. She may need a "science" subject test score, though.

I think the Blue Tent class prepares for the SAT Biology Subject test, not AP. Irene Paine sounds like a very good, very organized teacher, though.

G3 doesn't have a class listed this year.

The deadlines for Stanford Online High School are past for Biology (back in January, I think). Not sure about English since they offer that differently.

Scholars Online's teachers that I've talked to all seem pretty good, but I can't speak to that class specifically.

BYU Online High School has a self-study option for AP Biology. It may be my backup plan of dual enrollment falls through. Not exciting, but straight forward.

I'll send you a pm.

I just want to clarify. When you say you've heard the same thing about the Penn. Homeschooler's class, do you mean that you've heard that their AP Bio. can serve as a good preparation, but it's disorganized?

Thanks.

22 hours ago, High School Homeschool Dad said:

I just want to clarify. When you say you've heard the same thing about the Penn. Homeschooler's class, do you mean that you've heard that their AP Bio. can serve as a good preparation, but it's disorganized?

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. It was one of the ones I eliminated from my list right away.

5 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Better link for Wilson Hill (bottom of the page): https://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/academics/biology/

Note that it is taught from a Christian worldview, if that matters one way or the other.

Thanks for the correct link ☺️

FWIW I should add that the WHA course is just on my radar as a future possibility; we don't have any experience with it nor any feedback to share. 

Edited by pgr