Menu

TIP: when out and about with younger kids

gardenmom5

I thought this was quite brilliant, so I thought I'd share.

when out and about with young'/special needs kids - write your name and phone number in sharpie on their wrist, then cover it with liquid bandage to protect it and keep it on all day.  then if they're lost/separated it will be easier for an adult to call you and get your child back to you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sarah0000 said:

Lololol that would be an epic meltdown if I suggested that. You should have seen the aftermath at day camp a couple weeks ago when my 7yo discovered I wrote his name on his water bottle. 

Same here.
I had a dog tag made with contact info.  We've used it as everything from a necklace to zipper pull to putting it on his water bottle.  For more temporary, like when we were visiting a different country, making a shrinkydink one with our contact info at the resort gave me peace of mind.  Easy to do before we left: write, cut, bake.  And cheap enough to make a few. 

Other tip when out and about with your kids: put contact info on their car seats.  If you are unable to help them directly after an accident, you can have peace by putting a sticker with their first name, birthday, blood type, allergens, and emergency contact on the back of their seat.  If they have to cut them out they'll try to keep them in the seat because it'll stabilize them, and having that potentially available could help.

• Like 2

I would not do that for the same reason I don't allow my kids to wear shirts/hats/backpacks with their names visible on them.  Many special needs kids are especially susceptible to social manipulation, so having their names visible to strangers seems like a bad idea.

All of my kids do wear "safety necklaces" when we go on outings to busy/unfamiliar places.  I just went to a pet store, bought plain rectangular dog tags, and used the machine there to engrave each child's name along with mine and DH's cell numbers.  I put the tags on cloth necklaces with break-away clips for safety.  The kids wear the necklaces inside their shirts, so the names are not visible to strangers, but the tags are readily available in case they get lost.

Wendy

• Like 2

We do this with just a parent cell phone number on the arm.

We started this after one kid got lost for an hour at a large park. He had spent the whole time with security after a woman "found" him and turned him in (he wasn't lost). Because we weren't together and the park was so large, we didn't realize the other parent or sibling didn't have him; the kids like to make forts at this park. Putting the number in a pocket is better for kids who are older but tend to nervousness. We do this with 3-year-old sister now, though.

Emily

2 hours ago, wendyroo said:

I would not do that for the same reason   I don't allow my kids to wear shirts/hats/backpacks with their names visible on them.  Many special needs kids are especially susceptible to social manipulation, so having their names visible to strangers seems like a bad idea.

their name isn't on their arm - your name would be.  or the "if lost please call..."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

their name isn't on their arm - your name would be.  or the "if lost please call..."

Yes, and I usually write the phone number where it’s not immediately visible.  Like an upper arm, under a shirt sleeve.

Though these days my only little one has allergies so all the info is in her epipen case, which is belted on. And we have medic alert, so it’s all sort of mixed in.

We’ve also used Road ID - it’s a biking thing but you can get all kinds of things to tie on shoes, bracelets, dog tags, whatever.  Great color selection, last forever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

We’ve also used Road ID - it’s a biking thing but you can get all kinds of things to tie on shoes, bracelets, dog tags, whatever.  Great color selection, last forever.

I used Road ID when my girls were small. I'm sure there are cheaper options but it worked at the time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Same here.
I had a dog tag made with contact info.  We've used it as everything from a necklace to zipper pull to putting it on his water bottle.  For more temporary, like when we were visiting a different country, making a shrinkydink one with our contact info at the resort gave me peace of mind.  Easy to do before we left: write, cut, bake.  And cheap enough to make a few. 

Other tip when out and about with your kids: put contact info on their car seats.  If you are unable to help them directly after an accident, you can have peace by putting a sticker with their first name, birthday, blood type, allergens, and emergency contact on the back of their seat.  If they have to cut them out they'll try to keep them in the seat because it'll stabilize them, and having that potentially available could help.

saw these on the news the other day.

I though they were a brilliant idea  and so visible for emergency workers  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-12/seatbelt-covers-helping-people-in-emergencies-prove-a-hit/11199254

Edited by Melissa in Australia
because I cannot spell or type
  • Like 2