Menu

Steamer trunks for dorm rooms?

HollyDay

Dd's college has highly recommended she get a steamer trunk.  The one they recommed is supposed to be strong enough to function as a  step stool, seat, ottoman, table, etc. as well as a locked storage compartment. 

What do you more experience college folks think?  Yes or no to a steamer trunk?

I had one when I was in college, and yes, I used it for all those things.  When I was out of college, I handed it down to my sister.  The lock on it wasn't anything impressive, though.  If someone really wanted into the thing, they could have busted the lock easily.  It was still handy to have the trunk. 

Depends on if she'll spend much time in the dorm room, what the room comes furnished with, and if she'll have much of anything she wants locked up. If a locking trunk would end up not being needed to double as furniture, and if it would be overkill for securing valuables, perhaps all she needs is a dorm lock box of some sort. Or a diversion safe -- bleach, peanut butter, or roller brush version 😁

DS#1 had a dorm with enough furniture that his locking trunk would have just been in the way for use as furniture, so it spent the entire time under his bed. Don't know if he ever used it to lock up any of his electronics, or if he just kept them (along with his wallet) handy and with him in his backpack along with his wallet. 😉 

• Like 1

if the school is recommending one, it's probably because they can't guarantee what they provide would be sufficiently secure for valuables.  

so, I'd get one. cameras, tablets, etc can be locked up when not in use to minimize risk of them being stolen.  sadly, the reality is, there can be a lot of thieving on college campuses.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

if the school is recommending one, it's probably because they can't guarantee what they provide would be sufficiently secure for valuables.  

so, I'd get one. cameras, tablets, etc can be locked up when not in use to minimize risk of them being stolen.  sadly, the reality is, there can be a lot of thieving on college campuses.

I do agree you need a locking box that you can then secure (so someone doesn't just walk away with the box lol!). But a steamer trunk is huge! The newest advice I see is to pack stuff in Ikea bags, which store beautifully.