Menu

Audiobook for Dad and 9-year-old girl

Family vacation time.   We will be driving all over Arizona.   Daughter and I are audiobook fans.  Husband not so much.   But, on our last trip we listened to some of How to train your Dragon series.  HUGE hit with everyone.   The trip before that, we listened to some books that everyone loved.  The name of the series slips my mind.   There were dragons and wizards were temporarily melted by soapy water.   The dragon commonality was an accident.  But, I think the reason that DH liked them was that there was cute humor on both series, and they were really well-written.  

We have already done the other books by the How To Train Your Dragon lady.  And finished the other series I mentioned.  Once DD learned that there was "A Series of Unfortunate Events" on Netflix she wanted nothing more to do with the books.   DD re-listens to Harry Potter all the time, and DH does not want that. 

DD and I are easier to please.  We like most books. 

Have you already read Narnia?  When my kids were around 9-12 we took a trip to California that in addition to Disney included travelling all over to visit different relatives, and we listened to much of the Narnia series as we drove.  Each book was narrated by a different awesome British actor.  It was a very enjoyable part of the trip.

• Like 2

Peter Nimble by Auxier (and the sequel Sophie Quire)

Bark of the Bog Owl by Rodgers (and its two sequels)

Call of the Wild by London was a surprise success

Green Ember by S.D. Smith

Homer Price by McCloskey (and the sequel Centerburg Tales)

Freddy the Pig books by Brooks

The above have all worked for our family.    Perhaps Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place?  My kids love it, but DH hasn't had the opportunity to listen to them.

Edited by domestic_engineer
mistyped a title
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, desertflower said:

Land of Stories by Chris Colfer (a series of 6 or 7 books) - a tale of adventure of 2 twins weaving in and out of fairy tales. 

Max Einstein by James Patterson

Turns out we already had all but the last of Land of Stories books.   woohooo

I put Max Einstein on hold, but it won't be in before we go. 

I am just busy busy busy trying to find all these.   

And also, DH told me that the latest book in a series we are reading(DH) and listening(ME) is available.   So, I need to get that too.  Safehold series by David Weber.  It has been a few years since the last one, and the library doesn't have the audiobooks anymore, so I'm considering Audible.  These audiobooks are expensive ~$60 and 30+ hours.   

And then while I've been looking, I noticed that there is a new Whatever After book.   (Sqee.   Finally!  Jack and the Beanstalk!)   I haven't mentioned that to DD since Overdrive wait-time is 16 weeks!  

• Like 1

Another idea for you ....

Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan is great as an audiobook.  (Similar to the Little House audiobooks, there is music in the background that makes it more special.)

Or... what about podcasts?  DH will tolerate listening to Smash Boom Best, Brains On!, Forever Ago, and Circle Round with us.  Noodle Loaf is a bit wacky for adults, but sometimes you need that on a road trip.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

I am just busy busy busy trying to find all these.   

And also, DH told me that the latest book in a series we are reading(DH) and listening(ME) is available.   So, I need to get that too.  Safehold series by David Weber.  It has been a few years since the last one, and the library doesn't have the audiobooks anymore, so I'm considering Audible.  These audiobooks are expensive ~$60 and 30+ hours.   

And then while I've been looking, I noticed that there is a new Whatever After book.   (Sqee.   Finally!  Jack and the Beanstalk!)   I haven't mentioned that to DD since Overdrive wait-time is 16 weeks!  

I *love* the Safehold series. (I got a Audible membership to download the books over time because I relisten to them so often. I do have a couple in CD form I am now trying to get rid of because the downloads are much easier to listen to than switching CDs.) But the latest book -- I decided not to get in Audio form yet. I'm waiting to see what happens in the next book. It is very much a "Connecting" book and there are parts I do NOT want to hear again. In paper form (We buy the books for my husband, I can skip over things I don't want to see. The chaos in Harchong is... really bad.  And even what happens in Siddarmark breaks my heart.

In any case, the latest book (the one released in January) is a lot different than the previous series. And he hasn't even started writing the next book 😞

Edited by vonfirmath

20 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I *love* the Safehold series. (I got a Audible membership to download the books over time because I relisten to them so often. I do have a couple in CD form I am now trying to get rid of because the downloads are much easier to listen to than switching CDs.) But the latest book -- I decided not to get in Audio form yet. I'm waiting to see what happens in the next book. It is very much a "Connecting" book and there are parts I do NOT want to hear again. In paper form (We buy the books for my husband, I can skip over things I don't want to see. The chaos in Harchong is... really bad.  And even what happens in Siddarmark breaks my heart.

In any case, the latest book (the one released in January) is a lot different than the previous series. And he hasn't even started writing the next book 😞

That is funny that you like the audiobooks and your DH prefers the physical books.  Just like my husband and I.  With the last book, I preordered the CD's planning to listen and then resell right away.  There had been a publishing error and I'd gotten two of one CD and a missing CD.   So, I ended up getting my money back. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 9:12 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

We found these two to be laugh out loud funny:

- The Willoughbys 

- By the Great Horn Spoon 

Audio books with incredible story-telling:

- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and it's parallel books by Grace Lin

We are listening to the Great Horn Spoon now.  We needed some laugh out loud funny.    Our selection was all the books recommended here that I could find on Overdrive  (I will find the others at the library later)  and also a few Children's Books Read By David Tennant.    The first book was a Devid Tennant one, and a bad choice.   "My sister is on the mantelpiece"   The narrators older sister is dead, and the parents aren't dealing with it.  The mom abandons the family and the dad becomes an unemployed drunk.   DD was crying at one point.   But, she wanted to finish.   So, I said to myself, "This is supposed to be really funny" and started it. 

On the other hand, the first book might not have been a total disaster.   Books are a good way to adjust to the idea the life isn't rosy for everyone.   And she had BOTH parents nearby and it wasn't right before bedtime.   DD was shocked recently at Day Camp to learn that "Some kids parents don't live together".    Maybe she will stop getting annoyed with us when we kiss 🙂  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 10:21 AM, shawthorne44 said:

We are listening to the Great Horn Spoon now.  We needed some laugh out loud funny.    ...

This one turned out to have an unexpected side benefit.   DH requested a mine tour.   We toured a recreation of an old gold mine.  DD asked questions and we were able to say several times, "Remember in the audiobook when ...  "  

DH thought I was a brilliant planner  🙂  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, shawthorne44 said:

This one turned out to have an unexpected side benefit.   DH requested a mine tour.   We toured a recreation of an old gold mine.  DD asked questions and we were able to say several times, "Remember in the audiobook when ...  "  

DH thought I was a brilliant planner  🙂  

Ok, now time to do The Willoghbys.  I need someone to confirm that this book really is the most hilarious kids' book ever written.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2019 at 10:37 AM, desertflower said:

Land of Stories by Chris Colfer (a series of 6 or 7 books) - a tale of adventure of 2 twins weaving in and out of fairy tales. 

Max Einstein by James Patterson

The Chris Colfer series has been magical!    

DH has always said that audiobooks put him to sleep.  Before daughter, while in the car, I would have to negotiate audiobook time. With daughter, driving is mostly audiobooks but still a lot of talk radio in there too.  DH made a big concession and said that he was willing to listen to the Safehold series as a reminder of what happened in order to prepare for the long-awaited latest book.  DD and I have been listening to the Chris Colfer series.   After a car trip a couple of hours away DH asked me to put the Chris Colfer books on his phone!    He wanted to start at the beginning and listen to it himself.   I practically swooned with happiness. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

The Chris Colfer series has been magical!    

DH has always said that audiobooks put him to sleep.  Before daughter, while in the car, I would have to negotiate audiobook time. With daughter, driving is mostly audiobooks but still a lot of talk radio in there too.  DH made a big concession and said that he was willing to listen to the Safehold series as a reminder of what happened in order to prepare for the long-awaited latest book.  DD and I have been listening to the Chris Colfer series.   After a car trip a couple of hours away DH asked me to put the Chris Colfer books on his phone!    He wanted to start at the beginning and listen to it himself.   I practically swooned with happiness. 

Wait. The next Safehold book is coming out?

We listened to Becoming Kareem read by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar this summer and the whole family enjoyed it.  He does use the N-word in describing times people said it to him.  Wide range of history which I wanted my kids to be exposed to, but it also moved me because it was about him growing up as an academically oriented introvert boy, and the people who shaped him into who he is today.  It was not a comedy, but it was funnier than I expected it to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe: The Horse Nobody Loved - It's very funny, but has a sad ending.  I felt like I was sitting next to the author as she told me about her childhood.  

Cheaper by the Dozen

Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio - not the funniest book, but this audiobook was very memorable.  

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I did not like the narrator of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, so I would not recommend subjecting your husband to that.

• Like 1