Menu

Arizona peeps

DawnM

A friend of mine from CA recently moved to Las Vegas.   We would like to get together tomorrow, while I am here in Arizona.

I am in the Sun City/Surprise area and she is in Vegas.

We want to meet as half way as we can.

From Sun City to Vegas is 4 hours and 15 minutes.

The only thing that pops up as a decent sized city is Kingman, but that has me driving 2 hours and 45 min. and her driving 1.5 hours.

Is there anything more in the middle?  I see Wikieup but I am not sure there is anything there?  We really just need a decent restaurant to sit in and have lunch and sit and talk.

Suggestions?

Edited by DawnM
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

A friend of mine from CA recently moved to Las Vegas.   We would like to get together tomorrow, while I am here in Arizona.

I am in the Sun City/Surprise area and she is in Vegas.

We want to meet as half way as we can.

From Sun City to Vegas is 4 hours and 15 minutes.

The only thing that pops up as a decent sized city is Kingman, but that has me driving 2 hours and 45 min. and her driving 1.5 hours.

Is there anything more in the middle?  I see Wikieup but I am not sure there is anything there?  We really just need a decent restaurant to sit in and have lunch and sit and talk.

Suggestions?

Here in the "Deep South" (South America) I used TravelMath.com and I selected Halfway point. You hit the nail on the head. Below is what it said. Enjoy your get together in Kingman!

The halfway point between Sun City, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada is:

Kingman, Arizona

2 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Here in the "Deep South" (South America) I used TravelMath.com and I selected Halfway point. You hit the nail on the head. Below is what it said. Enjoy your get together in Kingman!

The halfway point between Sun City, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada is:

Kingman, Arizona

Except it isn’t.  

• Haha 1

Wikiup Trading Post?  Here's a link to some reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wikieup-trading-post-wikieup

Oh, it looks like Cool Water Cafe has better reviews!  Here's a link:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31406-d6277502-Reviews-Cool_Water_Cafe-Wikieup_Arizona.html

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 1

Make sure you have emergency supplies in your car: food, plenty of water, and portable shade. There are remote stretches along the way, you probably won't have cell service for much of it, and if you're stuck in your car on the side of the road the inside of your car will heat up very quickly during the day.

• Like 1

Outstanding advice about the emergency supplies!   DO NOT leave the highway.  If there is an issue with your car, stay with your car. Stay by the side of the road on the highway and you will be found.  People have driven off and that has led to dire results for them.

Possibly there is a really nice Truck Stop that is closer to halfway on that route? I doubt that, unless you are on major highways (preferably Interstate highways).

Your friend may take longer getting to Kingman than 1.5 hours, depending upon the traffic leaving Las Vegas and going over Hoover (Boulder) Dam can be slow. I have driven from Kingman to Las Vegas.

Congratulations to your friend on her emigration from CA to NV!

Enjoy your reunion!

I did a map from sun city to vegas, then asked for restaurants along the way.  there are definitely some choices your side of kingman. results will also give you distances (and ratings.)

further towards kingman, but still wikiup, is luchia's restaurant (4stars) 114 from surprise/153 from vegas

there just isn't much between kingman and wikieup,.   

the most central I could find was "the iron skillet"  (2 1/2 stars)  147 miles from surprise/ 120 from vegas.

5 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Make sure you have emergency supplies in your car: food, plenty of water, and portable shade. There are remote stretches along the way, you probably won't have cell service for much of it, and if you're stuck in your car on the side of the road the inside of your car will heat up very quickly during the day.

Yeah, Arizona is not my cup of tea at all, but it is where my parents live.  I come most summers for a few days at least, so I do know about the heat in the car and taking water, etc..... I wish I could visit a different time of year, but with my work schedule it is difficult.  And this year there was a reunion here this past weekend, so I was here for that.

5 hours ago, Lanny said:

Outstanding advice about the emergency supplies!   DO NOT leave the highway.  If there is an issue with your car, stay with your car. Stay by the side of the road on the highway and you will be found.  People have driven off and that has led to dire results for them.

Possibly there is a really nice Truck Stop that is closer to halfway on that route? I doubt that, unless you are on major highways (preferably Interstate highways).

Your friend may take longer getting to Kingman than 1.5 hours, depending upon the traffic leaving Las Vegas and going over Hoover (Boulder) Dam can be slow. I have driven from Kingman to Las Vegas.

Congratulations to your friend on her emigration from CA to NV!

Enjoy your reunion!

She misses CA a lot and hates Vegas.  I cannot blame her.  I don't like the inland dessert at all.  I would choose Reno if I had to live in NV.   At least it would be cooler.

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I did a map from sun city to vegas, then asked for restaurants along the way.  there are definitely some choices your side of kingman. results will also give you distances (and ratings.)

further towards kingman, but still wikiup, is luchia's restaurant (4stars) 114 from surprise/153 from vegas

there just isn't much between kingman and wikieup,.   

the most central I could find was "the iron skillet"  (2 1/2 stars)  147 miles from surprise/ 120 from vegas.

I will take a look.  

Guess I should look at ATT towers through the freeway areas as well.

• Like 1

Interesting that you mentioned Reno. When I was very young, that was the first place I lived, after emigrating from California.  I too prefer Reno, over Las Vegas, and I have been going to Las Vegas since the population was approximately 50,000 people. Now it's probably about 2 million in the Metro Vegas area?  

If your trip to meet your friend was on very major highways where there are lots of major Truck Stops, that would allow some additional possibilities about where you might meet, but I suspect that you will not be on Interstate Highways. Not sure about that since I  haven't looked at a map. Probably more places to meet with your friend in Kingman...

Have a safe trip and enjoy your reunion with your friend!

ETA: I just read the above comments. AT&T and Verizon have the best networks in the USA, but when you are in the sticks, there are fewer towers. However, the towers are usually along the highways...

Edited by Lanny
add ETA

23 hours ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, Arizona is not my cup of tea at all, but it is where my parents live.  I come most summers for a few days at least, so I do know about the heat in the car and taking water, etc..... I wish I could visit a different time of year, but with my work schedule it is difficult.  And this year there was a reunion here this past weekend, so I was here for that.

I get it.  We're going back in July because it's good timing for us, not because it's a nice time of year to visit.  If we waited until the weather was nice we'd have to wait until November.

• Like 1

Just got back.  We ended up meeting in Wikieup after all and had a lovely lunch at Luchia's and walked around their gardens and fed the fish.  Then we drove down to the Trading Post and shopped a little and then drove back and just sat and talked for another hour or so in an A/C car.

And I had signal MOST of the trip.  There were about 2 spots where I got cut off from phone calls, but otherwise, it was fine and lovely.

• Like 2