Menu

you know you've watched too much british media when...

gardenmom5

for 1ds's commencement, the processional was Holst's  "Jupiter".  It was driving me crazy, until I placed it.... The British Hymn.. "I vow to thee my country".  (which uses the music.).  something odd about a british hymn used as a processional for an American college...

well, it was great.  the venue was the museum of flight.  2ds commented at the incongruity of William e. boeing college of aerospace & astronatical engineering graduates (and their families) sitting under a Lockheed aircraft... (SR-71. blackbird, with drone.)

eta: instead of throwing their mortarboards - they threw paper airplanes.  apparently at least one got their's up and over the blackbird.

graduation blackbird.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

Or you ask your child to put out “the bins” instead of the trash cans. Or, when asked where they got the book they are holding, they tell you they’ve “nicked it” from their brother’s room...so many here

ETA: it is a really cool venue!

Edited by scholastica
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

It’s fairly commonly used, along with Sine Nomine by Ralph Vaughn Williams

sine nominee is a religious hymn (and I've heard it performed by religious choirs).  it's not a hymn about *britian*.  (that was my point.) even though most people would only recognize it as one of the suites from holst's The Planets.

here's the history of  "I vow to thee my country".

The Story Behind I Vow To Thee, My Country

In 1908, Spring Rice was posted to the British Embassy in Stockholm. In 1912, he was appointed as Ambassador to the United States of America, where he influenced the administration of Woodrow Wilson to abandon neutrality and join Britain in the war against Germany. After the United States entered the war, he was recalled to Britain. Shortly before his departure from the US in January 1918, he re-wrote and renamed Urbs Dei as "I Vow to Thee, My Country" significantly altering the first verse to concentrate on the themes of love and sacrifice rather than "the noise of battle" and "the thunder of her guns", creating a more sombre tone in view of the dreadful loss of life suffered in the Great War. The first verse in both versions invokes Britain; the second verse, the Kingdom of Heaven.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

for 1ds's commencement, the processional was Holst's  "Jupiter".  It was driving me crazy, until I placed it.... The British Hymn.. "I vow to thee my country".  (which uses the music.).  something odd about a british hymn used as a processional for an American college...

well, it was great.  the venue was the museum of flight.  2ds commented at the incongruity of William e. boeing college of aerospace & astronatical engineering graduates (and their families) sitting under a Lockheed aircraft... (SR-71. blackbird, with drone.)

eta: instead of throwing their mortarboards - they threw paper airplanes.  apparently at least one got their's up and over the blackbird.

graduation blackbird.jpg

That’s one of my favourite songs