Menu

Need the most basic math workbook in the whole world

I'm on the hunt for a really basic, plain math workbook (grade 3-4ish). I want something that covers a year of math, but without a lot of bells and whistles... just plain pages with not too much writing on them, but not single-topic workbooks like math-u-see. I like the Key To series a lot, but I need to cover multiplication and division, multi-digit addition/subtraction, etc., and the Key series doesn't go down that low.

Miquon appeals to me, but it's still not quite plain enough. 

Does such a unicorn workbook exist?

There's always R&S (don't get me started). I think you're right just going through CarsonDellosa, Evan Moor, etc. till you find something. Also Teacher Created Materials,Teacher Created Resources, Scholastic (not very often, sometimes, too dry). 

I usually pass over stuff like that because it's so heavy on computation. But yeah, it's out there. 

https://www.evan-moor.com/p/778/basic-math-skills-grade-3  This is on the cute side. I think I looked at it for my ds. Maybe more supplemental than an actual curriculum though.

https://www.teachercreatedmaterials.com/p/180-days-of-math-for-third-grade1/50806/

What I really like right now is the daily word problems math from Evan Moor, but that's not a whole curriculum like you're wanting. But if you need word problems or want another way to work on skills, there you go. I'm crazy for it. Common Core, lots of thought, high interest. https://www.evan-moor.com/p/20077/Evan-Moor-Daily-Word-Problems-Teacher’s-Edition-E-Book-Grade-3

Have you seen the How To series from Teacher Created Resources? 

How to Work with Time & Money, Grades 1-3

How to Calculate Measurements, Grades 3-4

How to Work with Fractions, Grades 2-3

and more. Sorta like Keys to only younger I guess.

They also have several other series that might interest you. (daily math, instant math, etc.)

45 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

There's always R&S (don't get me started).

Well, now I kinda want to get you started... but I don't think a Biblical lesson would go over so well in PS 😄 

I do like the idea of doing a few word problems each day, just to keep skills fresh. I also like that 180 days of lessons, lots of review. I've made my own review sheets each day, but that would be a lot easier. Only trouble is if the review in the book doesn't match what we've done in class.

I think those How-To books could be great! Thanks for finding them!!

• Like 1

I've tried a couple of the How to books. I think they were on the dry side or something. They're fine. These publishers sometimes do sales, so I was stocking up, trying stuff. That was a few years ago so they might be fine. In any case, I didn't try too hard, lol.

I'm using the word problems right now with my ds because they're somewhat interesting and so contextualized. That's a big thing for him, not having it in isolation. He's not going to win at being a human calculator, but he can THINK. So I think that just depends on your students and the goals. 

Total aside, but we really enjoyed some of the Capstone Press Real World Math books.

Just because I can’t stop myself from commenting:

In the example pages given in the OP, there’s a mistake in how they rounded Anchorage’s population to the thousands.  They rounded it to the ten thousands.  Or am I going cross-eyed and missing something?

(If they’re wrong, then I can see why you’re asking for something else...)

1 minute ago, Garga said:

Just because I can’t stop myself from commenting:

In the example pages given in the OP, there’s a mistake in how they rounded Anchorage’s population to the thousands.  They rounded it to the ten thousands.  Or am I going cross-eyed and missing something?

(If they’re wrong, then I can see why you’re asking for something else...)

You are correct.  That example is wrong as blazes.

8 hours ago, Pen said:

Spectrum Math Workbook, Grade 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1483808718/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NgXbDbPD87SC0

and same for grade 4

Mastering Essential Math Skills: 20 Minutes a Day to Success, Book 1: Grades 4-5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966621131/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8bXbDbS719H4Y

I do like the Spectrum books quite a bit - I wish they had about half the problems on the page. 

1 hour ago, Mainer said:

Although, if your DS is already decoding the words well, he may not be as interested. It was the right level of challenge/fun for my students, for now anyway.

Oh he reads like the wind now. I was thinking of them as a spelling game.

1 hour ago, Mainer said:

I do like the Spectrum books quite a bit - I wish they had about half the problems on the page. 

They do have jammed pages.  Kids could tape strips of paper over every other row or column and end up with more space / fewer problems.

that also leaves a group if more practice is needed

The Mastering Essential Skills books had fewer problems per page, but still not much white space iirc.    However, it’s now a new edition.  Page layout may well have changed.  

Edited by Pen

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 9:48 AM, Pen said:

The Mastering Essential Skills books had fewer problems per page, but still not much white space iirc.

I was almost sold on this, but now there's a page in the front of the new editions that say if you leave a 5 star review on Amazon, you get a free gift.

Ugh.

Why can't a math workbook maker create something that has 6-8 problems per page, with no extra "stuff"????

Maybe I should just do it myself.

54 minutes ago, Mainer said:

I'm cool with print 🙂 too bad there's no sample pages.

Rainbow has it so maybe other places. I saw samples in an email they sent, which is how I found it. It's kind of basic and whitty at the same time, which is unusual.

I read about this series:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739892037/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A233PVM66FOK2O&psc=1#customerReviews

I have a really old problem solving book from the same publisher, and it is PLAIN and boring. Just what I'm going for, lol. I like that the books are levels A, B, C, etc rather than grade. I'm gonna order and risk it, and I can always sent it back if it's no good.

23 hours ago, Mainer said:

Why can't a math workbook maker create something that has 6-8 problems per page, with no extra "stuff"????

Maybe I should just do it myself.

Maybe so!

Not a “workbook” but you could probably use online practice problems generators to create that and then bind pages together if you want.  

20 hours ago, Pen said:

Not a “workbook” but you could probably use online practice problems generators to create that and then bind pages together if you want.  

That's a good idea. I kinda want to just make the "real" thing so other people could use it, too.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, PeterPan said:

To me the challenge is common core. The whole thought process changes. I look for newer materials so they'll fit with the thought process of common core. I can imagine a scenario where that isn't a good fit, but my ds it's usually good. 

I'm torn on common core. Mostly I think curriculums are reading the limit of what kids can actually do, developmentally... so I'm kind of sour on ALL curriculums! Do kids really need to know PEMDAS starting in 3rd grade? My school actually does this. I don't get it. 

1 hour ago, Mainer said:

I'm torn on common core. Mostly I think curriculums are reading the limit of what kids can actually do, developmentally... so I'm kind of sour on ALL curriculums! Do kids really need to know PEMDAS starting in 3rd grade? My school actually does this. I don't get it. 

Yeah, there's this hyper-emphasis on algebra, advancement, etc. On the other hand, if you look at these kind of daily review products like the Daily Word Problems from (I forget at the moment) that are keyed to common core, they really aren't at that push level. They're more remedial. What I like is the get the math in a context, address the language part (we're raising people who can solve real life problems, not be human calculators), etc. So basically the good parts of CC without the push push stupidity. 

One of those workbooks I bought in 3rd gr non-CC, used, and then bought AGAIN to use in the new CC edition. It's that much better.

Edited by PeterPan

10 hours ago, PeterPan said:

One of those workbooks I bought in 3rd gr non-CC, used, and then bought AGAIN to use in the new CC edition. It's that much better.

Interesting. I guess I should try to overcome my CC prejudice 🙂 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, Mainer said:

Hmmm are most 3rd graders having parentheses and exponents nowadays?

17 hours ago, Pen said:

Hmmm are most 3rd graders having parentheses and exponents nowadays?

No, and that's the thing... they can do the addition, subtraction, multiplication, division (kinda), and they're sort of introduced to parentheses. No exponents, thank goodness. It's a weird partial explanation of PEMDAS. It's an Everyday Math curriculum thing, and thankfully I only saw that lesson last 2 days. The kids were really confused for those 2 days though!

I'm with you on the problems in the cc math curricula. However I do use parentheses with my ds, sure. They're a strong tool for conceptual exploration. The awkwardness is teaching them after all 4 signs and just doing them as memorized order, the most basic, boring, basal, uninspiring task.

• 7 months later...

Did you ever find something you liked for this? I'm fiddling around with Evan Moor Basic Math with my ds and it is kind of witty and basic at the same time. Like you do 10 of something but they result in you solving a cute riddle. I also picked up some books in a series by Newmark I hadn't seen before. 

Nope! I decided that it doesn't exist. Right now I'm using NumberWorlds (the "remedial" version of EverydayMath) online as a guide, and maybe use a third of the worksheets for each unit, and use other things for the rest.

In my ideal world, I would have a website that had a list of skills for each grade (perhaps linked to common core standards), and I would be able to check a box next to each skill, and choose how many of each problem I want, and boom, a worksheet is created. That way, I could continue to add in review questions with the current ones to keep skills fresh. I kind of do that by hand now, but it would be a lot easier to click a couple times and create the worksheet.

Worksheet creators already exist online, but mostly they are limited to one skill at a time. I want something more like, one addition problem with regrouping, one subtraction without regrouping, a 1 x 2 multiplication, single-digit division, and a word problem. I'd pay a subscription for something like that!

11 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I'm fiddling around with Evan Moor Basic Math with my ds and it is kind of witty and basic at the same time. Like you do 10 of something but they result in you solving a cute riddle.

These are fun 🙂 I've found a couple books like that as PDFs:

Easier:  https://www.mathriddlebook.com/full-math-riddle-book.pdf

Harder: https://1.cdn.edl.io/ethAPbhrCatipKJsu0L1NJ53cisMGIG2rn1y7G6NmBprNTyL.pdf

Scholastic has various math riddle books, too.

Some of my kids enjoy coloring pages where you have to solve math problems to find the right color: https://www.coloringsquared.com/free-coloring-pages-math-for-kids/ 

• Like 1