Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW25: Happy Father's Day

Robin M

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

While going through the Dragon link I found Tea with a Black Dragon and am intrigued.  Has anyone read it?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/435415.Tea_with_the_Black_Dragon?ac=1&from_search=true

I was visiting a friend some (yikes) thirty years ago and ran out of books to read. He owned the book (which came out in 1987, I see) and lent it to me. I enjoyed it even though it was not all my typical reading fare then. I recall next to no details but would happily hear your thoughts if you decide to read it, mumto2.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Pen said:

Did you read The Word is Murder? 

No, I haven't (small grin).  Just doing a pretty standard rebel read and picking the book that sounds the most enjoyable, for me, in this series.  Have you read it?

On 6/21/2019 at 8:09 PM, mumto2 said:

I love the Horowitz series!  I hope you enjoy the audiobook.  I have the new one on hold....pretty sure it is in book form.

I need to read another Stevenson.  I think some more have been added to the Prime free reading library for those who have access.

I am enjoying, so far (& for others that like to know thing like this too; there is some language content, though no f.bombs)    Hope you enjoy your read in the series too!

So glad you linked and reviewed it @Mothersweets  Hope you enjoy  Spring Magic!

I haven't listened to too many Stevenson books, yet, but have enjoyed the third one in the Drumberley series, and  Summerhills the most so far.  Thanks to @aggieamy reviewing the books last year, I've got the audiobooks for the Katherine series lined up for my spelling challenge

ETA: your trip to Seattle sounds - so amazing from where I am in the world - like are a very special and wonderful time away @JennW in SoCal 

A link/book either @Kareni or @mumto2shared last (?) week has gifted me with a book from two Australian authors in a genre I don't usually read from, Sci-fi.   Linesman ~ S.K. Dunstall  (some language content, and the mention of lots of lover swapping/both sexes hitting on the main guy. No salacious details, yet and I'm up to chapter 22).   I'm enjoying this space opera so far.

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Hello everyone!! 

I've been AWOL, but have a good explanation. DH and I were in Seattle for the better part of a week -- he had some work for a couple of days then we played tourist. What made it extra fun is that some friends who grew up in the area were there the same time, and took advantage of us being tourists to revisit the Space Needle for the first time in 20 years. It made for a terrific afternoon.

I read another Sebastian St Cyr mystery on the plane going and coming, the 7th title [insert correct interrogative here] Maidens Mourn. When? Why? Where? I can't remember, but it was another delightful entry in the series. I always look forward to reading her historical notes at the end as she does a great job of weaving the historical with her own made up details and characters.

I'm part way through the audio version of The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson, and am really enjoying it. It starts out with a woman comic book artist getting drunk with cos-play Batman at a convention....and winding up pregnant. It isn't farce, but it is sharp and witty, though things are about to take a turn. In fact, I'm itching to get back to my hand quilting so I can continue listening!

I bought a couple of books at Elliot Bay Books in Seattle, both of which I've started. One is Mozart's Starling by Lyanda Lynn Haupt. I read her Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds earlier this year and just love her writing. The other is a truly niche book. It is Murakami discussing music with symphony conductor Seiji Ozawa. They are sitting in Murakami's house, pulling out titles from his prodigious record collection, listening to them and discussing them. I wish it was an audio book with the actual music clips!! 

I am giddy with delight that to hear that the next Horowitz murder mystery is out!!! My ds and I both love him, having discovered him through the Sherlock Holmes mysteries he wrote. And though I'm a California girl, the West Texas vet book sounds great!

Consider yourselves all "liked" as I may not have stopped to click on each message!

I have the latest St. Cyr waiting to be read.  Totally looking forward to it!  I am trying to finish this month’s spelling challenge first and just have an I to go......it will be one of Ilona Andrews Magic books.

I also have The Scholarhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42482181-the-scholar waiting.  I really enjoyed The Ruin and think you might like this series also.  @Æthelthryth the Texan Has been reading these also.  Btw I did it! Getting that æ to work was a major coordination effort for me which required a dc for a tutor! 🤣

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

I was visiting a friend some (yikes) thirty years ago and ran out of books to read. He owned the book (which came out in 1987, I see) and lent it to me. I enjoyed it even though it was not all my typical reading fare then. I recall next to no details but would happily hear your thoughts if you decide to read it, mumto2.

Regards,

Kareni

I know I have seen Tea with a Black Dragon on a previous list and could not source it.  It’s now in my Overdrive so I will definitely be giving it a try.

1 hour ago, tuesdayschild said:

No, I haven't (small grin).  Just doing a pretty standard rebel read and picking the book that sounds the most enjoyable, for me, in this series.  Have you read it?

I am enjoying, so far (& for others that like to know thing like this too; there is some language content, though no f.bombs)    Hope you enjoy your read in the series too!

So glad you linked and reviewed it @Mothersweets  Hope you enjoy  Spring Magic!

I haven't listened to too many Stevenson books, yet, but have enjoyed the third one in the Drumberley series, and  Summerhills the most so far.  Thanks to @aggieamy reviewing the books last year, I've got the audiobooks for the Katherine series lined up for my spelling challenge

ETA: your trip to Seattle sounds - so amazing from where I am in the world - like are a very special and wonderful time away @JennW in SoCal 

A link/book either @Kareni or @mumto2shared last (?) week has gifted me with a book from two Australian authors in a genre I don't usually read from, Sci-fi.   Linesman ~ S.K. Dunstall  (some language content, and the mention of lots of lover swapping/both sexes hitting on the main guy. No salacious details, yet and I'm up to chapter 22).   I'm enjoying this space opera so far.

I haven’t tried reading The Linesman yet, it’s sitting on my Overdrive’s wish list and will be checked out the next time I have room and need a Sci Fi book.  Glad to know you are enjoying it!  Sci Fi / Space Opera is a genre I am learning to be fond of.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

I'll take responsibility! I searched the board and see I first read Linesman in November of 2017. It starts a trilogy that is one of my favorite finds of the past few years and one I've reread a number of times. I pressed it on my husband (who also liked it) and my daughter (who's become another rereader of the series).

I recall no salacious details in any of the three books in the series, so I'd comfortably recommend this to older teens and up. I hope you continue to enjoy it, @tuesdayschild.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Sadder than realizing that I haven't posted here since April is realizing how little I've read since April 😮.  Somehow, I always think Summer is going to be less busy, but really it's just busy without the benefit of a predictable schedule,

23. "The Essential 55" by Ron Clark.  A few of his rules are pretty specific to the classroom setting, but the vast majority are really just good, basic social skills everyone ought to know.

22. "How to Tutor Your Own Child: Boost Grades and Inspire a Lifelong Love of Learning--Without Paying for a Profesional Tutor" by Marina Koestler Ruben.  Mostly familiar ideas, since she draws a lot on popular homeschool resources, but I picked out a few things that I hadn't thought of that I think could be helpful.

21. "Faith is Not Blind" by Bruce and Marie Hafen. (LDS)

20. "Silent Souls Weeping: Depression, Sharing Stories, Finding Hope" by Jane Clayson Johnson.  (LDS)

19. "Leap of Faith" by Bob Bennett. (LDS)

18.  "Covenant Keepers" by Wendy Watson Nelson. (LDS)

17. "Manga Classics: MacBeth" adapted by Crystal S. Chan.

16. "One Dead Spy" by Nathan Hale.

15. "Stellar Science Projects About Earth's Sky" and "Wild Science Projects About Earth's Weather" by Robert Gardner.  

14. "Stuff Matters" by Mark Miodownik.  

13. "Led by Divine Design" by Ronald A. Rasband. (LDS)

12. "Forensic Science Projects with a Crime Lab" by Robert Gardner. 

11. "Manga Classics: The Jungle Book" adapted by Crystal S. Chan

10. "Donner Dinner Party" by Nathan Hale. 

9. "Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe" adapted by Stacy King. 

8. "Bodies We've Buried" by Jarrett Hallcox and Amy Welch.

7. "The Forensic Casebook" by N.E. Genge.

6. "Shaken Faith Syndrome" by MIchael R. Ash. (LDS)

5. "Fingerprints: Crime-Solving Science Experiments" by Kenneth G. Rainis.

4. "Forensic Investigations" (6) by Leela Burnscott. & ("Bones Speak" by Richard Spilsbury)

3. "A Reason for Faith" edited by Laura Harris Hales.  (LDS)

2. "Left Standing" by Mason Wells, et al. (LDS)

1.  "Camino Easy" by B. G. Preston. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Yes.  Had it as an audiobook with no indication of what to expect, and it took me awhile to determine that it was fiction.  I don’t have much detail memory of it, but think I enjoyed it.  

I liked some Midsomer Murder episodes he wrote, and that’s referred to in the book—and part of what confused me as to fiction or nonfiction.

I liked some of his Sherlock Holmes and James Bond versions too.  

His kid (Alex Rider?) detective books can be fun for boys too.   Well, maybe also girls, but finding books boys will read is often harder IME 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 5

Howdy ladies. We've had a week from heck with the ac going out in my car, our house, the shop, and the ac guy for our project house is being a flake.  Good news is my car's ac is fixed and my 23 year old clanky car's bushings, bearings, and brakes were also taken care and she's running cool and quiet. Hubby spent father's day fixing our ac and it's working better than ever.  I'm still immersed in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood so nothing new to report.  

Æthelthryth  - Welcome back and happy to hear from you. I was wondering where you were. 

@Negin  Gorgeous pictures. Thank you for sharing

@Teaching3bears  I loved the Poisonwood Bible and it was the first book of Kingsolver's I read.  I haven't read anything else of hers yet but I do have Bean Tree in my stacks. 

@Kareni Thank you for all the wonderful links.  

@mumto2 You are doing awesome with the book chain. 

@Pen  re keeping track of books, I'm horrible with goodreads so mainly keep a list on my personal blog.

@Junie Hugs and thank you for sharing your story.  

@JennW in SoCal Glad you had fun in Seattle. So much to see. 

😘

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Pen said:

As mostly very light fare, I’m currently listening to audio of: Witches' Bane (China Bayles 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0425144062/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_m8NdDbNJP6YKZ

It has some “dysfunctional family” as some more serious content.

setting is Halloween which doesn’t seem quite right for now

I love China Bayles!  😀

• Like 4

13 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

I am enjoying it, so far (& for others that like to know thing like this too; there is some language content, though no f.bombs)   

I spoke too soon😕  The book, The Sentence is Death ~ Horowitz , starts out so good mentioning the filming of Foyles War, then a police Detective shows up who has all the hallmarks for being brilliant, and a pain in the neck to the author,  a young man's husband (the divorce lawyer) is murdered and the D.I shows up at the crime scene in chapter 3.  Sadly, for me, the language content just goes down hill from there - lots of F-bombing (my pet peeve in audiobooks. Impossible to skip over).  I've abandoned the audio and if the library gets this as an ebook, I'd like to revisit it that way as I want to know what happens.

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'll take responsibility! I searched the board and see I first read Linesman in November of 2017. It starts a trilogy that is one of my favorite finds of the past few years and one I've reread a number of times. I pressed it on my husband (who also liked it) and my daughter (who's become another rereader of the series).

I recall no salacious details in any of the three books in the series, so I'd comfortably recommend this to older teens and up. I hope you continue to enjoy it, @tuesdayschild.

Thank you Kareni for mentioning it!   I absolutely, flat out , enjoyed this book (!) and just kept listening until it was done.  I definitely want to listen to the others in the series, which doesn't seem to be finished yet (?)     @mumto2  I think you'd enjoy too. 

For others that haven't read it, Linesman ~ S.K. Dunstall, it's not stunningly brilliant writing, and it feels like there are a plethora of characters to unravel, added to that, Ean always seems to sweat-stained and needing a shower; but, I found the storyline to be a fun listen.  There is some, grandpa generation, swearing (and one f-word).

@Robin M Aircon gone, and especially with it being summer, is not a good look. Kudos to your clever Dh for repairing the home unit.

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

Thank you Kareni for mentioning it!   I absolutely, flat out , enjoyed this book (!) and just kept listening until it was done.  I definitely want to listen to the others in the series, which doesn't seem to be finished yet (?)   ...

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed it!  The series has three books and is finished. That said, I'd happily read more about these characters should the authors (a pair of sisters) write more. 

I've read the first book in their new series -Stars Uncharted: S. K. Dunstall.I enjoyed it, but the Linesman series remains my favourite.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

[snippety snip] but the Linesman series remains my favourite.

OK, I'm going to show my age again. With every mention of the Linesman books, the opening line of the Glenn Campbell song, Wichita Lineman, just pops in my head. "I am a lineman for the county..."

Ahem. Perhaps I should read the book and substitute imagery from that for 1960s pop songs....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

OK, I'm going to show my age again. With every mention of the Linesman books, the opening line of the Glenn Campbell song, Wichita Lineman, just pops in my head. "I am a lineman for the county..."

Ahem. Perhaps I should read the book and substitute imagery from that for 1960s pop songs....

I just listened to the song which I haven't heard in quite some time. Thanks for bringing back some memories, Jenn!

You might like the book were you to read it.  However, given that you were tempted to hurl in disgust the last book I recommended, you might want to consider the source. But, hey, Mikey/tuesdayschild likes it! (Seventies reference.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

@Kareni  It was only one book that I wanted to hurl in disgust!  We have many books in common and you are my fellow Goblin Emperor re-reader!!

Ahh, this is true! And now I want to reread The Goblin Emperor as well as the Linesman series....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2