Menu

Must do or eat in Pittsburgh?

Farrar

Dropping my teen at his intensive in about a week. We're spending the weekend (though we have a family commitment on Saturday evening and most of Sunday will be dropping him off, though presumably we'll have breakfast first - so that's like a solid day and a half of stuff). I think we'll definitely take the funicular train up the side of the hill. And I'm not sure what else. I mean, I know there are museums and so forth... but I'm not sure what is the most single worth it thing to do. Cheap and interesting food especially welcome.

By the way, after all the great advice for my drive to KC along I-70, I'm turning to the Hive for all domestic travel advice henceforth.

• Like 2

If you want to spend some money, the Gateway Clipper river tours are lovely. I especially like the sunset one -- you leave the dock during daylight and return a bit after sunset. 

Inclines -- I recommend the Duquesne rather than the Monongahela. It has better views.

Strip District -- no nudity involved. It is several blocks of shops and restaurants along the river. Lots of different ethnic places. Reyna is great for Mexican food, Macaroni Co and Stamooli's are also fun -- sample olives and cheeses. https://www.discovertheburgh.com/strip-district-guide/ Oh, and please do get a donut at Peace, Love and Little Donuts. It's about a block off the Strip. Their donuts are amazing and only $1.50.

Primante Brothers would be the classic Pittsburgh eatery (there's one on the Strip.) The Pittsburgh sandwich comes in several varieties, but all of them have cole slaw and french fries ON the sandwich. If you want your french fries separate, you have to pay extra. 🙂 I recommend the spicy sausage. 

Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, the Aviary, the Zoo, the Andy Warhol Museum, Frick Mansion tours, the Heinz museum are all great. 

Free -- lots of beautiful parks and old churches. I love old churches. There's a nice one near the Strip and right across the street from the donut place.

Have fun!

• Like 4

We visited Pitt for the first time last fall and had a great time there!  What a great city.

Definitely Primante Bros for food.  If you go to the one down by the strip that was a fun area to walk around and explore.  Our local friends insisted we try that! 

If you like tap rooms, we really enjoyed The Church Brew Works.  It's in a converted church, good menu, interesting beer.

We went to the Phipps Conservatory and the Frick Mansion.  We also did the Duquesne Incline in the evening.  All were fantastic.

If you have a little time and a vehicle and it is of interest, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater was WELL worth the little jaunt out of town.  You can reserve a tour online.  We also went to the 9/11 memorial on the same day out in that general direction.  ETA - that is actually called the Flight 93 National Memorial.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 3

Another vote for Primante Bros.

I've never eaten there (also, I've never been to PIttsburgh), but it is my brother's favorite restaurant when he visits there.  I was going to post about it last night, but I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant until I saw others posting about it.

• Like 2

I grew up in Pittsburgh but my parents moved after retiring and I haven't been back in 20 years. (So take my opinion with a hint of nostalgia and grain of salt).

I'd second the Gateway Clipper. It's the classic thing to take guests to if you live in Pittsburgh.

I'd also recommend the Nationality Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning at Pitt. They were my favorite when I was a little girl. They were like visiting life size dollhouse rooms. It's near Shadyside, a lovely little shopping district with lots of restaurants.

https://www.nationalityrooms.pitt.edu/directions

If you want dramatic pictures, visit Point State Park at the point where the Allegheny and the Monongahela form the Ohio. There's a fountain that makes a lovely backdrop.

• Like 1

We love Green Forest Churrascaria. It's a bit expensive but it's one of our favorite restaurants. My son calls it the Meat Palace. Of course if you're vegan or vegetarian you may want a different option.🙂 We enjoyed Primante Brothers but weren't blown away. What we did enjoy more than the food was the atmosphere. We were there during a game, and the crowd was a lot of fun, lol.

Edited by dsmith
  • Like 1