Menu

What's with the ads?

mms

Renai, I finally ordered your book!

@Renai

Talk about delaying gratification: I didn't realize I'd have to wait a couple of months before I could order it and now I can't wait till Saturday when it arrives.

So excited.

That is all.

Thanks @Slache for the heads up, I don't know how I missed that she had written a whole book on the subject.

• Like 2

Do tell! What is the book about? How can we support a fellow Boardie?

Awesome! I didn't even realize it was up on Amazon already, lol! Let me know what you think, and if there are any other resources that would be helpful to you.

• Like 1

It ended up arriving last night!  What a lovely contribution to this field: I've had several "bilingual ed" books over the years and they've all gotten decluttered very quickly.  This one won't be!  I loved loved loved the encouraging tone, Renai: thank you.

Part of the reason those other books got decluttered is because I'd feel so guilty about "not doing enough" after I read them.  It is hard passing on a language!  I came here in late elementary and by the time I was in high school even my parents had switched to English part time in the home: the pressure was just so great.  Out in the country, with no other Russian speakers around, jumping through hoops to make it relevant for my children makes me feel like I'm doomed before even starting.  It was important to be validated in this regard and I loved your recommendations to start out super small.  Also very much appreciated your various little asides (like how sometimes the minority language is only used for scolding: guilty!).

Can I make a couple of suggestions that would make the book even more useful?

I imagine needing to do several 28 day "re-starts" over the years.  It would be super helpful to have the option to purchase a pdf version of the journaling pages so that I can print them out whenever I need them.

At the back of the book you have a short section with sample routine dialogues.  Could you expand that with more sentences for the routines that you've included and maybe a few more routines (like cooking, clean up, or maybe even just for Total Physical Recall exercises, which would work really well with your system)?  One of the great advantages of your book for a family like ours is the focus on scaffolding and explicitly thinking through what vocabulary is targeted.  Maybe this is just my own quirky problem (or discipline issue/excuse) but if I have to spend too much time thinking about what the next "small goal" should be I just drop it.  Anyway, an expanded appendix would be really helpful on busy days (every day with lots of little children, lol) when the temptation is to just not worry about it.  Or maybe that's something you already have on your website, in which case could you provide a link?

Thanks again, Renai!  What a great resource.  I'm super excited to start! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Awesome! I don't know how I missed this post, so sorry I'm getting back to you so late. 

Thank you so much for the feedback (can you please leave a review as well on Amazon, pretty please?). It is very helpful, and I always take feedback into account. I was actually considering an expanded version of the book, a 90-day version, that could be used to add another language, or second routine to the mix. The expanded book I planned to include more routines and dialogues. And, it is so interesting you mentioned adding different exercises to the appendix. I just did a workshop on this subject at our state homeschool conference, and my handout included activities and such (still focused on meal time). (I also randomly called people to the table and demonstrated in Spanish so they could see how it was done. It was so much fun!) That's a good idea that I add that to the book...

I'm hosting a 28 Day Family Language-Learning Challenge on my Facebook page if you're on there. I've been doing lives on the pre-planning stages this past week, moving into next week. The Challenge begins on July 1 if you want to join. It is as much for me as it is for others, and I love thinking of others walking this path with me. If you want to join in, here's my page: https://www.facebook.com/AdelanteSpanishforAll/ I will continue to do lives throughout the Challenge, and send email summaries for those not on FB. This is going to keep me soooo accountable! (scary thought...lol!)

I'm so glad the book has encouraged you and others. I truly believe in this!

Edited by Renai
spelling
  • Like 2