Menu

25 year wedding anniversary trip to Hawaii in 2020. Need help...

Dianne-TX

DH and I are wanting to go to Hawaii for our 25th and a 2nd honeymoon.  We've never been and noone we know has been either.  We need help and advice.  Does anyone have a trusted travel site that they use to plan vacations?  Has anyone used the Costco travel service?  Something else?  I would love your own expert advice if you've traveled to Hawaii.  We are planning for summer of 2020.  Thanks!

I would trust Costco, or you can do otherwise.

we only went to Oahu.  I loved, loved, loved, haunauma bay.   we stayed at a resort on the sw side of the island.  very nice place - but we went to pearl, haunauma bay, and the Polynesian cultural center (on the east side of the island.)… so, we got to go through Honolulu traffic... there is a bypass.  so, we spent a lot of time driving. (we did drive up past the pineapple plantation, to the bonzai pipeline, and around turtle bay.  I'm sorry we didn't make it to the "punch bowl" cemetery. my grandfather's brother is buried there.

we like to get off the beaten track, and we stayed away from Waikiki.  we hit the mall once - I needed shoes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dianne-TX said:

DH and I are wanting to go to Hawaii for our 25th and a 2nd honeymoon.  We've never been and noone we know has been either.  We need help and advice.  Does anyone have a trusted travel site that they use to plan vacations?  Has anyone used the Costco travel service?  Something else?  I would love your own expert advice if you've traveled to Hawaii.  We are planning for summer of 2020.  Thanks!

Yes, Costco is excellent. They're not always about being the cheapest, but they add serious value.

Alley

• Like 1

My advice is not to go to a place or in a season when it’s too hot!  (If it has to be in summer, check likely heat where you’ll be, unless you love very hot, in which case no problem!)  consider April to May if you can.  

I have relatives who live in Honolulu, but haven’t visited.  Maybe this coming winter it will happen.

I’ve been to Maui. Maui is very nice. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I have been about 16 times.  :0)  What about this:  tell us a little bit about what it is you want to do, and then people can make more helpful recommendations. 

Do you want to island hop?  How long will you be there?  Do you like to hike or swim or paddleboard, or are you more about spas, or sitting by a pool or on the beach?  Do you want a condo or a hotel or a *resort*?  

One thing I will say:  I've never had a BAD Hawaiian vacation.  :0)

Oh, yeah, that would be more helpful. We are wanting relaxing, romantic, beach, spa, not real adventurous, but seeing cool sites or something would be fun. Like a honeymoon. Wanting to get our money’s worth, so staying a week or a Sunday to Saturday or something like that. Hotel or resort. 

Edited by Dianne-TX

We had a very good experience with using Costco last year. I followed online advice to upgrade my membership to executive before booking the trip and used our Costco AmEx card and our reward check this year was huge! Dh and I did Maui and Kauaii (I can't spell it) on our honeymoon 28 years ago, and Maui is our perfect not-too-crowded, not-too-rustic spot, so that's where we went with the whole family last year. We stayed at Kaanapalli beach in a resort condo last year and the only change I would make would be to get a resort right on the boardwalk because it turns out my favorite thing was doing a sunrise walk with my wheelchair kid along the boardwalk (she never changed timezones and kept waking up at 4:30). There were all these cats who lived in the bushes along the boardwalk (we saw dishes and beds in the bushes, so this was encouraged). Lots of folks were out and about walking or jogging along the boardwalk which runs along the beach. Just a great experience. There is also a grocery store and cheaper eating type places sort of across the street from the resort. Made for a nice home base.

One of our sunrise walks below. We're looking west, so the rising sun is behind me. The boardwalk periodically has side runs that go down to the beach--that's what you see part of here.

Maui18 - 19.jpg

• Like 1