Menu

What's with the ads?

regentrude

AoPS Intro to Algebra Tests

This is great!  What software did you use for this?  I'm going to need to prepare some math exams this year.  

1 hour ago, daijobu said:

This is great!  What software did you use for this?  I'm going to need to prepare some math exams this year.  

LaTeX

• Like 1

If you're lazy about setting this up on your computer, AoPS has a TeXeR which will compile basic LaTeX for you into a variety of formats (including PDF): 

https://artofproblemsolving.com/texer/

They also have a LaTeX guide somewhere. 

I've had a functioning LaTeX installation on my computer before (I was a math graduate student and all), but I didn't feel like dealing with it this year, and I typed a lot of assignments via the TeXeR (mostly for my sister, who just graduated from high school.)  

• Like 2

I was really asking whether she was using something like Word or other installed software.  I do most of my work on google docs using a chromebook, so installed software isn't really an option.  But I see there at least one equation editor add-on to google docs.  

4 minutes ago, daijobu said:

I was really asking whether she was using something like Word or other installed software.  I do most of my work on google docs using a chromebook, so installed software isn't really an option.  But I see there at least one equation editor add-on to google docs.  

It's LaTeX, which is other installed software. But then you can use the TeXeR I linked, too: would that work? No installation required. 

Edited by square_25

17 hours ago, square_25 said:

It's LaTeX, which is other installed software. But then you can use the TeXeR I linked, too: would that work? No installation required. 

Yeah, I'm not sure this is helpful.  I use google docs exclusively now, so I need a link to the best equation editor that ppl have used with google docs.  

57 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Yeah, I'm not sure this is helpful.  I use google docs exclusively now, so I need a link to the best equation editor that ppl have used with google docs.  

Are you looking for something more advanced than the "insert/equations" feature of google docs?

I don't have much experience with this.  I just now used their own equation editor to try to write the quadratic formula, but I'm not sure I can make it work.  (The square root stops at b^2.)  

I'm not sure if I'll need to spend more time using their own insert-equation editor or install an add-on.  

here is a video on how to write the quadratic formula using google's equation editor:

• Like 3

This is great!  I didn't realize it was Enter to leave the superscript and continue under the square root.  This should work for my exams next year.  

Am I missing something, or do you have an answer key for these?  (Not that I couldn't figure them out myself, but it sure makes life easier if there is one!) 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shmily said:

Am I missing something, or do you have an answer key for these?  (Not that I couldn't figure them out myself, but it sure makes life easier if there is one!) 😁

I had the same question.