Menu

“Nerd vibe” schools?

Dmmetler

6 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

Agreed. Focus on the program (and the money, if affordability is an issue.) Plenty of all sorts of people at those schools.

They seem very focused on the program to me, her OP is quite specific about what they are looking for. This is just an additional factor. That's how you narrow things down: once you have a list of schools that meet your must-have criteria, you look at additional factors. 

General atmosphere of a school is completely unimportant to some students, very important to others. It was pretty important to both of my kids - they are definitely not the type that can evaluate things on paper and then parachute onto campus the first day, sight unseen. It does make life easier if you can do that! I agree that there is a wide variety of people at schools that are at least mid-sized, but vibe/culture/atmosphere is a separate criterion. My kids didn't want an overbearing football culture, but, just to prove that they are indeed southern, places where people don't say "hi" as you walk across campus or chat in the grocery line also fell to the bottom of the list 😄

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, katilac said:

They seem very focused on the program to me, her OP is quite specific about what they are looking for. This is just an additional factor. That's how you narrow things down: once you have a list of schools that meet your must-have criteria, you look at additional factors. 

General atmosphere of a school is completely unimportant to some students, very important to others. It was pretty important to both of my kids - they are definitely not the type that can evaluate things on paper and then parachute onto campus the first day, sight unseen. It does make life easier if you can do that! I agree that there is a wide variety of people at schools that are at least mid-sized, but vibe/culture/atmosphere is a separate criterion. My kids didn't want an overbearing football culture, but, just to prove that they are indeed southern, places where people don't say "hi" as you walk across campus or chat in the grocery line also fell to the bottom of the list 😄

My brief thought was based on my observation (of her various posts) that this student’s academic needs were fairly specific. In this particular case, I would certainly look at the program first and foremost because I truly believe you can find like-minded people anywhere 🙂

My oldest was pretty certain throughout her college search that she wanted a nerd college (and women’s college at that.) Ended up at a sports school because of the program (her interest was also quite specific.) Definitely the right decision, and she never attended a single sports event. 

FWIW, I’m married to a UGA grad and grew up in Atlanta. Certainly know football culture, but still hold this opinion 😉

• 2 weeks later...