Menu

What's with the ads?

Patty Joanna

How much would you tip for a $50 pedicure?

I tip 20%, so yeah, $10. However, it's neither unheard of or extravagant to tip 22-25% for extra good service (not just for pedicure but for any service that gets tipped).

• Thanks 1

For my feet - which visit the salon on a regular basis - 15% to %20

For DD18’s feet - after she spent the whole winter living in ski boots and had calluses that were really terrible? I tipped 25%

when the service is reslly above expectations,I compensate well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing.  I am not in the US and I expect what I am charged to be the actual price of paying an adequate wage for the employee, overheads and profit.  If the business is expecting the pedicure to cost the customer $60 then that is the price that should be declared.  Otherwise what the business is saying is $50 is what the employer is happy with but that doesn't include a fair wage so we expect you to make up for the fact we are a sh*t employer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, kiwik said:

Otherwise what the business is saying is $50 is what the employer is happy with but that doesn't include a fair wage so we expect you to make up for the fact we are a sh*t employer.

I think the last sentence might reflect the reality of the employee's situation and the norm I need these parts.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I think the last sentence might reflect the reality of the employee's situation and the norm I need these parts.  

I know.  It really annoys me because tipping is creeping in a bit here and I see it as the thin edge of the wedge.  It is not that we never tip in NZ it is that we only do it for exceptional service as an actual gesture of appreciation.  We don't do it as a obligation because we know that the owner of the business doesn't include adequate wages as part of his/her business plan but expects you as the user to pay the wages directly.  You are not the employer and therefore should not be responsible for worrying about whether the employee can survive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kiwik said:

You are not the employer and therefore should not be responsible for worrying about whether the employee can survive.

I know b. But I do.  She's overcome so much.  I have a part time job at one dollar above minimum wage and I know I make at least 2x what she's paid we ithout tips. But why is this my problem to figure out?   I guess my best course IN THIS SITUATION is to act from my heart and not my brain.  Better for my soul.  

But HONESTLY.     What a conundrum.  

• Like 3

I think what I hate is being put in this position in the he first place.  

I buy a dress, I know what to pay.  I get as pedicure and I'm lost.  

I would not do well in one of those bazaars where you bicker over the price.   

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I know b. But I do.  She's overcome so much.  I have a part time job at one dollar above minimum wage and I know I make at least 2x what she's paid we ithout tips. But why is this my problem to figure out?   I guess my best course IN THIS SITUATION is to act from my heart and not my brain.  Better for my soul.  

I feel the same way and on the opposite end of things, I may also feel reluctant to tip when a haircut is $150. I would rather know what the price is and be done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I tip $20 on a $32 pedicure (so about $50 total).  That might sound crazy, but I’m there for 40/45 minutes with someone totally focused on my feet :) I run 3-5 days a week and go for a pedicure every 8 weeks.  The technician deserves a decent tip :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kiwik said:

Me either.  Does tipping not extend to workers in dress shops?

no.  Tipping seems to be for more personal services, like hair, nails, valet car services.

But, then again,  should I have tipped the movers when they moved me.  I just didn't know that was a thing until well after the fact.  Talk about red in the face.

I hate the whole tipping thing too because so much is unknown??  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

$7-10, depending on how awesome they were.

I usually go with 20% for salon services, but foot washing (ie spa pedicure) seems personal, something I’m grateful that another is willing to do, so probably I’d probably leave $10-$12 on a $50 job.  

Edited by Seasider too
  • Thanks 1

20% so $10

ETA: I consider 20% minimum. If they did something special or I really liked them, I'd go higher. 

Edited by hippiemamato3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kiwik said:

I know.  It really annoys me because tipping is creeping in a bit here and I see it as the thin edge of the wedge.  It is not that we never tip in NZ it is that we only do it for exceptional service as an actual gesture of appreciation.  We don't do it as a obligation because we know that the owner of the business doesn't include adequate wages as part of his/her business plan but expects you as the user to pay the wages directly.  You are not the employer and therefore should not be responsible for worrying about whether the employee can survive.

I wish it was like that here! It's not fair for employees to never know how much money they'll have at the end of a work week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Would you tip 20% to the sole proprietor who only accepts cash? Or would 10% be ok? 

Let's say a facial is $80. But you pay in cash, I feel like $16 is a lot for a tip when the service person takes it as cash. Is this the wrong way to think? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all!  I think I am a piker on pedicure tipping...BUT I do give a Christmas bonus (I pay double for my last service of the year), so it essentially worked out to the same amount of money.  

As a former salon owner and employee, any tip is appreciated. Some more than others! 

Sadly, the average hairstylist or nail technician does not make a liveable, consistent wage. Of course there are rare exceptions.

It is a job without any benefits (insurance, paid vacation, pension, sick days, etc.) that requires an enormous amount of physical labor that eventually takes a toll on the body. Continuing education is a must in the industry to keep up with the latest techniques, products, etc.

Tip what you can afford and what you think is fair.

I'm asking that you keep in mind there are always costs associated to that simple pedicure or haircut the client is unaware of.

I wish we could up the price point to give us a fair, liveable wage that wouldn't require depending on tips to get by. Unfortunately, we can only charge what the market is willing to pay.

Edited by Islandgal
  • Like 1

Well, I've never had a $50 pedicure. In fact, I've only had one pedicure in my life. I'm sure I tipped, but I don't remember how much.

I tip my hairdresser $5-7 on a $28 haircut (that's just a wet and cut because I don't like anyone to blow dry or fix my hair), and I pay in cash.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, Patty Joanna said:

Thanks all!  I think I am a piker on pedicure tipping...BUT I do give a Christmas bonus (I pay double for my last service of the year), so it essentially worked out to the same amount of money.  

I don't think I have heard the term piker before.  What does a piker mean?

I don't do a service like pedicure enough to Christmas bonus tip.  In fact, I got a pedicure yesterday while I am here with friends and we went to some fancy Spa in Scottsdale and it was over $50.  I tipped 20%.

• Like 1

This is why I have never gotten a pedicure in the states. First time I ever had a pedicure was in Japan where it is generally considered rude and insulting to tip in most situations. I got pedicures about every 6 weeks year round because we lived in Okinawa where it is pretty much sandal/flip-flop weather year round. I paid my 4000 yen (about $40 US), thanked them in English and Japanese (most of the girls spoke some English and I spoke some Japanese so it was about the equivalent of "Spanglish" lol) we bowed, I made my next appointment and I was on my way. It was such a relief to me knowing that the pedicurist and the owner knew I was happy with the service and it wasn't based on how much I tipped or more accurately, how much I could afford to tip.

Dh's grandma gets a manicure done weekly, I honestly have no idea how much she pays or if she tips. She knows I'm not keen on manicures (I prefer to keep my fingernails as short as possible without making them bleed lol) but that I have done pedicures before. She has mentioned wanting me to go with her to have a "girls day" with her. I know she would pay just to have something to do that's just me and her but the thought of having her pay and possibly tip for me bothers me for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on. It seems different to me than when she wants to take us out to a restaurant... maybe because the waitress is waiting on all of us but the pedicurist is only waiting on me? I don't know. :-/

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 12:49 AM, kiwik said:

I, too, wish we would end the practice of tipping in the US.  In fact, if I were an employer in one of these situations, I would push to end the practice.  From an incentive structure it creates an odd situation and a conflict of interest.  Who is really the employer?  In other situations, if the client were paying the worker extra money, it would be considered a bribe.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

I don't think I have heard the term piker before.  What does a piker mean?

Tightwad.  Cheapskate.  Cheese-parer.  It's a little tighter than being "thrifty."  Not rewarding someone properly for the value of an offering.  It doesn't always involve money--it can be related to social norms/manners and so on.  :0)

• Like 1

not reading other responses, and I've never had either a mani or pedi, but for a $50 haircut, which I figure is comparable, or $50 dog grooming bill, I'd tip $10-$15. 

• Like 1

$8-$10. But I've never paid that much for a pedicure. For salon services, I tend to tip more if it's less expensive, because I figure I'm getting a better value and the person is making less money.

I tipped $30 yesterday for a $135 partial foil and haircut. That was $$$$ for me, but she's my usual stylist, is very young, and it took 3 hours. I like her. 

I agree, it's easier to go with my heart than my brain with this. I'd be mad at myself if I'd only tipped 15%, and it's not worth my own self-loathing later.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:06 PM, Patty Joanna said:

That’s why I really appreciate that not only does my state have one of the highest minimum wages in the country, but it applies to both tipped and non-tipped workers. We still tip, but at least the base price we are paying more accurately reflects the true cost of doing business.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, Bootsie said:

I, too, wish we would end the practice of tipping in the US.  In fact, if I were an employer in one of these situations, I would push to end the practice.  From an incentive structure it creates an odd situation and a conflict of interest.  Who is really the employer?  In other situations, if the client were paying the worker extra money, it would be considered a bribe.  

I also wish the tipping culture would go away in the US.  But I don’t think that can happen until we have a minimum wage that applies to all workers and is regularly adjusted for inflation. I think many employers like the current situation because they can pay workers less.

In my state, I’ve always found it strange that the norm is to tip at all restaurants, even those where basically the only service is to bring your food to the table, but we don’t tip the minimum wage workers who pump our gas and are outdoors in all types of weather (with limited exceptions, we aren’t allowed to pump our own gas).

• Like 2

I wouldn't get a $50 pedicure. 

That is a lot of money for something I can do myself at home.  It is actually more than it cost for all of the equipment and polish I bought to do my own gel nails - mani and pedi combined - for probably a whole year.

We just don't have that kind of money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

That is a lot of money for something I can do myself at home.  It is actually more than it cost for all of the equipment and polish I bought to do my own gel nails - mani and pedi combined - for probably a whole year.

I just started a couple of years ago.  It's helped with some foot cracking issues I had for years, so I'm thankful for that.  But yeah--im a little surprised that I pay $50. 

I got one 24 years ago for about $20 and preggers and couldn't see my feet. That one resulted in a nasty fungus that took a long time to beat and probably led to the other problems that this round of pedicures has helped. 

But I get it.  It's more than I like paying.  The thing that bugs me most is the additional tip that is what gets her just above minimum wage.   The Salon skims a very high percentage, if you ask me.  But the pedicurist says this is a lot better than any other place she has worked, so...there ya go.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

Consider yourself blessed to still be able to reach your toes and still have good enough near vision to properly apply polish (especially for a French manicure)!

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, moonflower said:

IME salons and places similar take 50%.

Interesting. So I pay $50, the salon gets $25.  

I would be ok with that.  

But my conversation with pedicurist leads me to believe she gets $8-9 an hour without tips.   

WHUT?